Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Ariel pods - all very laudible, but ...

(16 Posts)
b1zzle Sun 05-May-19 14:15:24

… now that Ariel have made the plastic box containing their pods with a childproof lock, have they thought about how difficult it is for those of us with infirm hands and slow brains to actually get into the thing?

Callistemon Sun 05-May-19 14:21:10

Those pods are extremely dangerous if swallowed by a child and can cause life-threatening injuries.

Why not use powder in a cardboard box if you find a childproof lock difficult?

aggie Sun 05-May-19 14:34:28

Powder is the way to go , the pods leave mucky marks when the plastic coating isn't dispersed properly

glammanana Sun 05-May-19 14:38:27

Ariel liquid comes in plastic bottles with snap open tops if you find the pod container difficult,I would expect the make up of the product is same in each.
If you have no visiting little tots that is what I would use if I had trouble opening containers.
Little fingers can so easily open containers so I applaude anything which makes it difficult for them to open.

aggie Sun 05-May-19 14:44:25

Liquid soap from a Plastic dispenser is not good for the planet either

FlexibleFriend Sun 05-May-19 15:19:14

I don't use pods I use the liquid and find the bottle really difficult to open and my hands are not that bad. They ain't great either but it's not like I can't move them because I can.

Anja Sun 05-May-19 15:19:31

Good to read you think about the planet aggie ??

I use Method liquid wash. Biodegradable, not tested on animals, washes well at 30oC, comes in recycled and recyclable plastic. Lavender is my favourite.

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 16:43:33

If they are that dangerous why would anyone want to wash clothes that they then place next to their skin with them.

I am lucky I come to France a lot and get bottles of soap based washing machine detergent. DGS and DiL's eczema has been so much better since I started supplying them with it.

I sometimes wonder whether it would not be better for the planet and more energy efficient if we once again had hot fill washing machines and washed clothes at higher temperatures with simpler more basic detergents. Surely making (from petro chemicals?) the harsh complex chemicals and extra disinfectants needed to make 30 degree washes work and the harm they must do to the environment and the energy used making them more than balances the energy used to heat the water.

As we move to renewable emission free energy production, it will certainly be better because heating water will not generate anything environmentally damaging at all.

petra Sun 05-May-19 16:53:42

I can't believe that anyone still uses 'pods' and then compounds the damage done by plastics by putting them in a plastic container angry
MOnica absolutely agree.

EllanVannin Sun 05-May-19 17:33:22

Those pods are disgusting. I only ever used them once since they first came into fashion and decided I wasn't going to use them again except for the mop-bucket when I mop the back kitchen. That's how I used them up.
I use Surf liquid which smells lovely and does the job as well as any other. Powder ?-----no. It's useless in a 30 degree wash and bio's create skin conditions so I steer clear of those as well.

Lazigirl Sun 05-May-19 17:37:28

I agree MOnica. It is horrifying to think how we have been brain washed by manufacturers into using chemical based and "perfumed" toxic cleaning/detergent products in our homes. Often quite basic natural and cheap traditional cleaning products do an equally as good, or even better job, without risking our health and the environment.

Callistemon Sun 05-May-19 19:29:15

If they are that dangerous why would anyone want to wash clothes that they then place next to their skin with them
I suppose the mitigating circumstances are that they are used diluted to wash clothes - but, if ingested by a child, can cause serious injury.

MiniMoon Sun 05-May-19 19:34:17

Powdered detergent may well be good, but when I use it I often find powdery deposits on the clothes when they've finished washing. I prefer using liquid, but DH bought me the pods last time I asked for detergent. The box has two tabs to "unlock" on the top. I too had difficulty getting it open. Fortunately I don't have visiting grandchildren young enough to worry about.

aggie Sun 05-May-19 19:37:51

You must be using too much detergent or overfilling the machine if you get powdery deposits on the washing

Farmor15 Sun 05-May-19 19:57:55

Powder detergent in cardboard box works perfectly well for me?

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 21:49:46

Strong chemicals can damage the skin even if heavily diluted.