Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Hearing aids

(6 Posts)
Daisychain Fri 29-Jan-16 14:47:36

For the first time ever i find myself not quite catching what a person has said
and have to ask them to repeat I know how very annoying can be when i am not being heard.
so all you wonderful people out there i am looking for some advise.
I know they are expensive, as i don't want it to be seen.
Thank you in advance xx

mollie Fri 29-Jan-16 15:55:13

Not sure this is the right spot for your post, Daisychain, but in response to your query I've had tinnitus and hearing loss for a long while and finally got round to having a private test done. Within five minutes I was being encouraged to pay out £900 while being told I had ear-wax which might affect the results of the test! So now I've had my ears syringed and visited my NHS hearing clinic and next week will be fitted with hearing aids for free. They aren't the tiny, neat and discreet ones that Boots wanted me to buy but if the NHS ones make a difference I might consider upgrading in the future.

Daisychain Sun 31-Jan-16 06:16:40

i am new to gransnet really which spot should i try and show this on
would appreciate your Guinness
thank you

mollie Sun 31-Jan-16 09:48:15

Don't worry, Daisychain, I'm sure Gransnet will sort it out. This slot is for businesses to ask for our help. You could have posted in the Health forum where we discuss our ailments and problems and help each other out.

Welcome to Gransnet, by the way!

dragonfly63 Mon 29-Feb-16 12:31:32

Hi Daisychain,

I found myself a in your position a few years ago (I was 55) and my doctor referred me to,the hospital. Far from wasting their time and being told that there was nothing wrong I found that my hearing was impaired and I needed a hearing aid. When I went to have it fitted it was brilliant, a small 'bud' that fits right into the ear canal with a thin pipe leading from it to the rest of the compact unit that fits behind my ear - to all intents and purposes invisible. The difference it made to my hearing has been amazing and I love it dearly. I am proud to tell anyone that I have a hearing aid as I hope it helps to dismiss the 'only for old people' myth. Try it, you don't need to pay a fortune.

mollie Mon 29-Feb-16 18:48:35

I've now got two hearing aids, just like dragonfly63s by the sound of it. Supplied and fitted by the local hospital at their self-referral clinic so no need to bother the GP. Excellent service and the aids make a huge difference. And they are very discreet so that's an added bonus!