Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

NOW CLOSED Hoover Globe tester review thread

(15 Posts)
HelenRGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 29-Aug-12 13:36:56

This thread is for the five GNers who have been trying out the new Hoover Globe at home.

Below are some feedback questions to get you started but please feel free to add any other comments you may have too, especially anything you have to share about any of the challenges Hoover set. All testers who add their feedback will be able to keep their Hoover Globe (RRP £229).

Also, just a reminder that if you haven't yet sent in your photos/video of you doing the Hoover challenges at home, then please do email them to [email protected] or send them to the same address using Yousendit, Wetransfer or another file sharing site asap. The tester who sends in the best photo or video will win a £30 Amazon voucher.

Q1. What opinion (if any) did you have of Hoover products in general before you tried using the Globe? Has using the Hoover Globe changed your overall opinion of Hoover products at all?

Q2. Thinking specifically about the Hoover Globe, how did you find it to use? Were you happy with the performance or not? Did you feel that it did everything you needed it to do? If not, why not?

Q3. How does the Hoover Globe compare with your old vacuum cleaner? Did it work just as well, better or worse?

Q4. Did you feel that the Hoover Globe was easy to manoeuvre or not? Was there anything that you found easier to do than with other vacuum cleaners you've used?

Q5. How did you find the challenges to do? If you have stairs, did you find it easier to clean them, or was it harder or about the same as before?

Q6. What, if any, improvements would you make to the Hoover Globe if you could?

Q7. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the product to a friend? If so, why? If not, why not?

Q8. Would you consider buying a Hoover in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks
GNHQ

Grannylin Wed 29-Aug-12 19:13:32

I have always considered Hoover products to be reliable and of excellent quality and this vacuum cleaner lived up to these expectations, making this experiment really fun and enjoyable.
I use a Henry vacuum cleaner every day and have not used an upright cleaner for many years so it took me a little while to get used to the Globe and the tools that came with it.
First of all, I cleaned the bedrooms, which are carpeted. I was amazed and horrified by the amount of fluff, dust, hairs that the cleaner picked up - the suction is fantastic, better than the Henry, but the bin filled up fast. I found that the electric lead got in the way and I didn't know what to do with it. Could it be retractable? Also the lead wasn't long enough to do more than one bedroom at a time, so I was unplugging and plugging quite a lot.

It was quite easy to clean the stairs and the attachment was especially good for swivelling and cleaning both faces of the treads and in and out of the rails.The Globe was much lighter than the Henry to lift and carry up the stairs.

Downstairs,it was easy to manoeuvre the cleaner under the tables and chairs and round the dog and was not physically demanding because it 'twists and steers' with one hand.The dog wasn't fazed by it at all but my grandson was frightened because I think he found it quite noisy.
I particularly liked the attachment for cleaning pet hairs from the furniture. I found the 3 in 1 tools a bit fiddly to put together but they were really useful to clean the top of the dresser and the bookcases. I cleaned the picture rails and also discovered lots of dust and cobwebs in many odd corners and crevices that I had missed before.
I live in a Victorian farmhouse with different floor surfaces:flagstones, quarry tiles, stripped wood as well as carpets and it's always dusty. The Hoover cleaned the carpets really well but the Henry copes much better with the other surfaces and all the odd bits and pieces that seem to appear on them.

The Globe is an excellent cleaner but is suitable for a modern, contemporary house with carpets rather than a large, muddy house in the country - the pictures on the box bear no resemblance to my house, whatsoever! I was very conscious that I was using a beautiful, state of the art machine when what I need is a robust workhorse that I can bash about and replace as cheaply as possible. For this reason I would not buy a Hoover in the future.
However, I would recommend it to my friends and I know that my daughter would love to borrow it as soon as possible!
Thanks grin

Littlenellie Thu 30-Aug-12 08:15:43

Having two teenagers,my returning adult son,a ginger mutt,and my continuously shedding black Labrador,the pet hair remover was excellent and on cleaning the rug in the lounge and the carpet found previously difficult hairs to shift where sucked up effortlessly and to my horror how much my previously used Hetty Hoover was unable to shift.
I loved the attachment for cleaning on top of the cupboards and doors and frames cleaning them will no longer be a chore.
We have a long drop at the top of the stairs that is difficult to reach ,cobwebs love it but the Hoover Globe was able to tackle that with with the stair attachment with out endangering my life standing on a chair over the banisters.
The stairs have taken a lot of traffic over the last six weeks as my live in granddaughter had a friend stay for a month two teenage girls and the accompanying mess where easily dealt with with the stair nozzle, I loved the long attachment which short work of the girls hair in the bathroom which seemed to collect from hours of hogging the mirror and combing their hair.
The Hoover globe is light and easily storable and made hoovering around aforementioned teenagers piles of shoes and assorted clothing hanging on the floor very easy although It did take a few practice runs and unfortunately in the process several false eyelashes and some fake nails where sucked up never to be seen again.
I have several floor surfaces,carpet,laminate flooring,and tiling,all of those surfaces are easy to clean,I have had a Hoover cleaner many years ago and I much prefer this new easy to manouvre light weight easily storable version,I live in a two bed fairly newish house apart from the stair well not too many nooks and crannys but with the amount of people we have here and animals the Hoover made cleaning quicker and more easier,my adult son,and partner,and the two teenage girls have also used the Hoover proving that all can use it...wether they choose to without argument is a different matter...I would recommend to my friends,and now use this instead of previously used Hetty.As the cleaning dosent take so long now,I have more time to spend on Gransnet

bikergran Thu 30-Aug-12 22:06:40

Well! it arrived, the new "Hoover Globe" all shiny and ready for my first test run!

Having had "Hoover " products in the past I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be disappointed., and after minimal assembly I was ready for action!
The first thing that surprised me was how quiet and lightweight the hoover was, it was easy to manoeuvre round the table legs, after a few minutes I checked the cylinder and couldn't believe what I saw! I emptied it out on an A4 white sheet of paper! I was shocked at the cat hairs/dust etc that it had picked up! Compared to my old vacum, there really wasn't any comparison at all, this was obviously going outweigh anything that my old hoover could do.
I had never used one of these ball type hoovers before and found it quiet easy to glide round the furniture, my favourite tool was the extending tube with the angled brush on the end, this was great for reaching the top shelves in the wardrobes,curtain poles/coving etc, no more ladders for me.
The one tool I didn't think performed very well was the pet hair tool, that I used on the furniture, it didn't seem to pick up the cat hairs, but this could be the chenille sofa/chair we have, the hairs seem to weave themselves into the fabric and I found it was better to use the angled brush on the end of the nozzle
One of the features that I found good really use full, was the length of the hose, I could leave the hoover at the bottom of the stairs and hoover each step right to the top without moving the hoover or having to take it upstairs to finish the top steps, I saw this as a safety feature as I'm sure we have all had those moments where the hoover almost comes tumbling down the stairs after pulling the hose too much.!
The challenges I enjoyed and almost became photogenic(I think)
After having tested the "Hoover Globe" for a few days all through the house, I would recommend it to my friends and would consider buying one myself.
With my husband having severe C.O.P.D (chest problems) it is important that I can hoover as much pet hair/dust etc as possible and I found that that "Hoover Globe" performed this task very well and it made me realise how poor my old vacum had been over the time, leaving hairs and dust in my carpets, I now feel my house is fresher and cleaner, it even made hoovering more pleasurable smile

JO4 Thu 30-Aug-12 22:58:46

If you said it was awful would they still let you keep it?

Somebody give it a try.

bikergran Thu 30-Aug-12 23:04:45

lol Im sure they would as some of the questions asked if it was any better any worse.. etc so they would want an honest opinion...

Littlenellie Fri 31-Aug-12 09:10:20

Really think I need to get out more,becoming orgasmic over a Hoover....washing machine maybegrin

bikergran Fri 31-Aug-12 10:02:42

lol Littlenellie I think we could now write book on "hoovers" yes I too must get out in the fresh air and back to the real world smile

seasider Tue 04-Sep-12 09:11:02

Can I first say that Hoover must be so proud that their brand is the generic name for any floor cleaning device. Every time I told someone I was resting a Hoover they asked which brand! I have not had a Hoover or an upright cleaner for some years as last time I renewed I could only afford a cheap cylinder cleaner. As soon as I started to use the Hoover I noticed the difference. It is very sturdy( if a bit heavy) and so manoeuvrable. I could easily get round the dining table legs to pick up all the debris left after a visit by my younger grandchildren.

My puppy was not too keen on the Hoover, though he did try to make friends with it when it was switched off!, so I lent it to a friend with a very hairy dog who said it was so good at picking up pet hair she is considering buying one.

I found the Hoover great for doing stairs due to the long hose and it was so good not to have to keep moving it about. It made the job so much quicker. My only complaint is that the lead is in a funny position and I did find myself standing on it sometimes.

I had to get used to having a choice of tools for various jobs! The tool for cleaning the tops of cupboards is fantastic and has stopped me balancing precariously on a chair.

The Hoover Globe lives up to the company's reputation and I would have no hesitation in recommending this product. As a bonus my house must be much cleaner and fresher as we have hoovered every nook and cranny to test the Globe and the grandchildren have had great fun helping with the tasks.

glammanana Thu 06-Sep-12 10:30:22

I have over the years always been very fond of Hoover products from Hoovers to Washing Machines to Fridges I can honestly say that I have never had any problems with my purchases.
When my New Hoover Globe arrived I was delighted and thrilled as to the quality of the Hoover,it was so easy to put together and very light to use I had deliberatley not hoovered for a few days so I could really give it a good test,I found that it swivelled nicely so I could get behind the sofa's without pulling them out and it manoeuvred easily around the large coffee table and the dogs basket.
The Hoover I had been using was the Hetty the "sister" Hoover to the Henry whilst it has been very effective I feel the Hoover Globe gave so much more and was lighter to move around the room.
The challenges where reasonable to complete with the exception of stairs which I do not have,I used the multi-tool to clean the dust from curtain tops and curtain rails with ease and found it easy to clean under the radiators,places which you do tend to forget about.
Looking at everything in general on the Hoover Globe I feel that there are no improvements I could think of myself as the extra length in the hose and the attachments made for an easy life and so simple to use.
When talking to friends and relatives about the product I would certainly recommend Hoover Globe it's light stylish and brings up the pile on carpets better than any other Hoover I have used,In fact we where going to buy a new carpet for the bedroom but have now decided not to as the pile had come up like new,so I have a few spare £s to treat myself to something else.
I would always look at Hoover products in the future if ever I needed an appliance but looking at how well the Hoover Globe is made I am sure that I will not be purchasing a new Hoover Globe for a long time to come.
So many thanks for allowing my to do this trial and I hope the product does well.

glammanana Thu 06-Sep-12 10:32:46

I have also done a short video of me using the Hoover Globe but am having difficulty sending it,hopefully it should be done this afternoon when DGS1 calls in to help his techophobic nanna.grin

Littlenellie Thu 06-Sep-12 12:25:05

Had trouble sending also glamma,went through in bits and pieces a few days ago.

glammanana Thu 06-Sep-12 13:23:53

nellie I got to 41% and then all went hay-wire,I couldn't do it on lap-top so had to do it on tablet,I'm just waiting for DGS to finish work so he can do it for me,fingers crossed this time.confused I really must sign up for that computer course.!!!

Grannyknot Fri 29-Mar-13 16:18:42

Fed up! I bought a Hoover Globe on the strength of having read about it on GN in this thread in August last year. I used it this morning, suction was really feeble. So I took it apart as instructed, got covered in dust cleaned filters, etc and put it back together again happy that it at least seemed to have regained its sucking power on testing.

Started vacuuming, and next thing I smelt burning and it was smoking and had overheated. Unplugged it and waited for husband who said "You may as well chuck it in the bin, the motor's gone".

How is everyone else getting on with theirs?

KatherineFluker Fri 18-Dec-15 10:05:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.