Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog toy danger - owners beware.

(9 Posts)
Nutcracker Tue 29-Nov-22 11:27:09

A word of advice to dog owners. Last night I took my eye off my dog, and later found she had destroyed a soft toy and strewn stuffing, bits of rubber and fabric across the lounge. Worse still, I could not find the squeaker. I contacted the out of hours emergency vet, who advised bringing her in immediately. There she was given an injection to induce vomiting. An hour later they showed me the contents of her stomach. Along with her dinner were copious amounts of stuffing, pieces of rubber and the nozzle but not the bulb of the squeaker.
I was advised to observe her for three hours in case of collapse or delirium. So we stayed up until about three this morning. Now I have to examine all that comes out of her for 72 hours, so she will be confined to the garden. If it doesn’t pass, she will need x-rays and ultrasound, followed by an operation.
Throughout all this the dog has been in her usual great form. I pray this continues.
I feel so angry that these dog toys are produced. I cannot understand why vets, the RSPCA etc do not campaign to stop them. Most dogs would be just as happy with toys without squeakers. My dog will now be allowed rubber toys only. I hope that in posting this I will make other owners aware of the danger.

Theexwife Tue 29-Nov-22 11:44:17

I think that toys are there more for the owner's benefit, a dog does not need or want a squeaky Christmas pudding or a fur teddy bear, they are purchased because the owners find them cute or funny.

Most dogs only like a ball to chase or a pull toy. Those dogs that have a toy in bed with them would be happy with anything if presented in a particular way or has a smell they like.

Mollygo Tue 29-Nov-22 12:12:44

I feel for you Nutcracker. My dog likes squeaky toys, but as soon as there is a hole in the toy I remove it. Lots of toys are made without stuffing now, I’m just reading a letter from a lady who who spent a fortune at the vet because of all the stuffing out of toys. No no, for which I am very grateful. We were also advised not to have rope toys with loose threads at the end and to dispose of any toys where the threads became detached, as the threads can get coiled round their innards and cause problems. Rubber toys soon have bits missing, which she has presumably swallowed
The only toys my dog has kept since birth month are a Kong monkey (though it no longer has ears) and this rope toy.
I hope your dog is OK-without needing the vet’s attention.

SunshineSally Tue 29-Nov-22 12:15:22

Nutcracker What an awful time for you. I hope your dog recovers well.

Our dog loves squeaky toys especially squeaky balls, but I always check them for signs of wear and remove the squeaker if there’s a small hole.
I don’t buy him stuffed toys as I know he’ll try and eat the stuffing!

I tend to stick to balls and rope toys as even some of the Kong toys can pose a danger. It’s the terrier in him - he loves ripping things apart! 😂 Thankfully he’s not touched the furniture - though has destroyed several of his dog beds!

Iam64 Tue 29-Nov-22 12:46:21

Hope your dog recovers. The dangers of squeeky and stuffed toys are fairly well known. Dogs don’t need squeeky toys.

Blossoming Tue 29-Nov-22 13:33:58

I feel so angry that these dog toys are produced. I cannot understand why vets, the RSPCA etc do not campaign to stop them

I understand that you’re upset Nutcracker but if people didn’t buy these things production would soon fizzle out. As you feel so strongly about it why don’t you start a petition or write to pet shops asking them not to stock these toys?

Tizliz Tue 29-Nov-22 14:37:26

www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=631233148829099&set=a.563137768971971

More toys/treats to avoid

Oldbat1 Tue 29-Nov-22 21:17:31

Kong toys are pretty robust they do teddies too. There are so many cheap toys on the market which shouldn’t be permitted without stringent testing. Please avoid ALL rawhide chews which also can kill dogs and cause blockages. Please do your research.

Silvergirl Tue 29-Nov-22 21:31:14

Thank you for the warning Nutcracker. I’ve seen that rubber stuffing recently and it smelled toxic.