Gransnet forums

Pets

What type of behaviourist should we try?

(10 Posts)
Nandalot Wed 02-Nov-22 12:02:16

Our cockapoo, two years old last August, has become very protective of the house and its environs and the behaviour is escalating. At first it was just barking, then snapping and today a little nip when her path crossed the supermarket delivery man’s. ( We do try to keep her away from the source of her distress but this was a slip up). It was a sort of toothless nip if you know what I mean, no blood or pain.
However, we know we have to do something about this. We have been to training classes before and she is generally good, very treat based. She will walk to heel, sit, lie down, wait for food. Recall not so good unless the word chicken is used!
My question is there are two dog behaviourists near us. One uses the pack method, the other thinking dog which I think is clicker based. Do you have any thoughts on which one is best?

Nandalot Wed 02-Nov-22 12:08:15

Just to add, I have placed film on the lower section of the front windows so that she cannot see any passerbys and that stops her barking at them.

Norah Wed 02-Nov-22 13:03:48

We have Parson Terriers. Ours are particularly small sturdy dogs, smart and stubborn, full of energy and noisy. We took one to behaviour lessons, she was just too "Alpha" and thoughts of nipping quite worried us.

We chose lessons to teach her "we are Alpha, you are a dog, you will mind on command without fail" - follow through is key, she gets away with no inappropriate behaviour. Bad behaviour of any sort leads to her spending time alone - away from us and her 2 sister dogs, worst that could happen, to her mind.

grannyrebel7 Wed 02-Nov-22 13:15:17

There are two different types of behaviourist. One is called aversive and the other is called balanced. The aversive type is old school and in my opinion a bit cruel. The balanced type is more gentle and no force is used. We went to a puppy class run by an ex police dog trainer who told me off for not making my dog do what he wanted. He then took her off me and forced her to sit yanking on the lead at the same time. I never went back after that. Nevertheless to say he was the aversive type. I'm training my dog myself now, but if I do decide to go to a class again I would choose a balanced trainer. Hope you get one that can sort your dog out.

Nandalot Wed 02-Nov-22 17:36:33

I think I have decided to go with the clicker based trainer. I think that would be the balanced one, grannyrebel7.

Oldbat1 Wed 02-Nov-22 19:53:19

Force free is the way to go so clicker sounds ideal. Avoid anyone who talks about dog training and “alpha” as this is very much frowned upon in dog training world.

JaneJudge Wed 02-Nov-22 19:58:01

could you teach her settle?
put the lead round a chair leg, every time she settles, treat her and then add the word settle?

It is an easy command to learn

JaneJudge Wed 02-Nov-22 19:58:27

obviously she'll learn it whilst off the lead in house smile

merlotgran Wed 02-Nov-22 20:15:59

I have to be careful with Peggy as she absolutely hates any postman/woman and had an ASBO at my last address for nipping one although she is absolutely fine with anyone else.

I find it best to have the same routine with anybody who visits even close family members who she knows well.

I live in a bungalow so I put her in the spare room until the visitor is indoors and allow a minute or so to pass before I let her out. If it’s somebody new I ask them if they’re OK with dogs first. She is always pleased to see them and behaves very well with no jumping up but I would never take a risk with a postman if I had to answer the door bell.

I think a routine that never changes is a good way to go. It makes them realise who’s boss.

Norah Wed 02-Nov-22 20:52:20

Oldbat1

Force free is the way to go so clicker sounds ideal. Avoid anyone who talks about dog training and “alpha” as this is very much frowned upon in dog training world.

One of our dogs is an "Alpha" no doubt about it. Alpha dogs do exist.

We didn't want to risk nipping, we have GC&GGC who are often over.

The trainer never referenced that trait, she just trained her to mind and respect us and her 2 sisters - or spend time alone.

There is no "force" in our home. Miss Alpha just wants to be with the rest of us, not in another space - works well.