Gransnet forums

Pets

Rehome/buying a dog via Facebook

(45 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Nov-22 09:43:24

Last week there was a post on a local Facebook group page with someone looking to rehome their dog - a one year old Springer Spaniel bitch. The post had been shared from another FB page - UK pets for rehoming and adoption, although the person posting is quite local to me.

Someone had commented on the shared post about it maybe not being genuine, and the owner replied that they were in temporary accommodation as they had had a house fire and couldn't keep her.

I contacted the owner and said we were interested and gave a short background of us as a family.

The owner has messaged me today saying we seem like the ideal home for the dog and they could bring it to visit any time convenient to me.

They are selling the dog for £500. She is fully vaccinated and hasn't been spaded [sic] "so she can have pups". She is also microchipped.

I've looked at the owner's own Facebook page, and although it is relatively closed, there are photographs on there from about a year ago of her very young child, with a very young English Springer puppy, so I'm thinking it probably is genuine.

But there's a niggle in the back of my mind, that this could be some kind of a scam.

Am I right, or does it sound as though this could be genuinely someone trying to find a new home for their pet?

glammanana Wed 02-Nov-22 09:51:04

Would you not consider a Rescue Centre than a private sale to home a dog, it just could be a scam I would check on the microchip details and see if it matches their previous address your vet will do this for you.

MawtheMerrier Wed 02-Nov-22 09:55:36

No, no, no.
Yes it may be genuine and you sound like an ideal home but who is to know if the “rehoming” is genuine? If the dog is stolen? Or puppy-farmed? Yes it could be a “lockdown puppy” mistake but red lights are flashing all over this scenarios for me.

rosie1959 Wed 02-Nov-22 09:56:10

It does sound a little odd if I genuinely needed a home for a dog I would not be charging but asking the relevant breed rescue to help

Fleurpepper Wed 02-Nov-22 09:59:33

Where is that person and dog? Near you?

I would insist of meeting up, with the dog, in their home. Take your OH, or ask someone strong and fit, to come with you.

If they refuse- call the RSPCA and give them all the detail asap.

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Nov-22 10:01:16

glammanana

Would you not consider a Rescue Centre than a private sale to home a dog, it just could be a scam I would check on the microchip details and see if it matches their previous address your vet will do this for you.

I wish! We have been trying to adopt from a rescue for a couple of years, but don't seem to meet their criteria.

This, if it is genuine, is still rescuing a dog, rather than going to a breeder.

Not sure I could get the chip scanned without actually buying the dog though.

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Nov-22 10:02:55

Fleurpepper

I would insist of meeting up, with the dog, in their home. Take your OH, or ask someone strong and fit, to come with you.

Yes, in the next town to us.

Asking to see it in their own home is a good idea.

Thank you

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Nov-22 10:09:56

MawtheMerrier

No, no, no.
Yes it may be genuine and you sound like an ideal home but who is to know if the “rehoming” is genuine? If the dog is stolen? Or puppy-farmed? Yes it could be a “lockdown puppy” mistake but red lights are flashing all over this scenarios for me.

I know! I am saying all these things myself.

The head is saying "avoid, avoid" but the heart is saying "this will be a lovely addition to our family".

It's the photographs on the owners own FB page, of their "new addition" in November 2021, and of their young child with the young puppy, which is swaying me towards thinking it is genuine. But that may just be the heart talking over the head.

Fleurpepper Wed 02-Nov-22 10:12:39

HurdyGurdy

Fleurpepper

Yes, in the next town to us.

Asking to see it in their own home is a good idea.

Thank you

Ask your vet if you can borrow their reading machine for the meeting. Agree to pay a good deposit, or hand in your credit card, and return it asap after meet up. Her reaction to you wanting to reading the chip would say a lot too. Make sure you don't go alone.

Fleurpepper Wed 02-Nov-22 10:13:29

Or offer, when you are there, to meet her at the vet's to have it checked over for any health issue/s and at the time, ask the vet to check microchip and data.

Aveline Wed 02-Nov-22 10:15:10

Why not suggest meeting at a vets? Good practice on both sides. If they refuse - draw your own conclusions.

Fleurpepper Wed 02-Nov-22 10:15:29

If it is genuine, you will soon know with the above!

I am re-homing from Djerba early next year. But the dog was found by a great friend, in dire circumstances. The dog carer is in regular contact, my friend, and the vet, and everything is being done properly, and all the boxes ticked. Can't wait for Yata to join us.

nanna8 Wed 02-Nov-22 10:19:11

Oh be very, very careful. I would go to the RSPCA or a dog rescue centre if it were me.

25Avalon Wed 02-Nov-22 10:45:57

Be very careful. There are stories of people who have bought dogs only to find there is some genetic disorder or illness that results in expensive vet fees and the ultimate grief of their new pet that they’ve fallen in love with being pts.

Spaniels normally have a pedigree. Ask to see the papers and most importantly get the dog checked out by a vet before committing.

Joane123 Wed 02-Nov-22 11:00:34

Hello HurdyGurdy
Just to tell you to go with your instinct.
I bought my lovely little fellow off an advert on a local site and he has been a dream and is the love of my life.
I didn't pay as much as your dog is going to cost.
However, the Vet Vaccination card had all the details about him, who bred him, the owners name & address (who I bought him off) and a Pet Registry Number.
Ask to see those cards/paperwork and you will have a better idea.
Good luck.

Katie59 Wed 02-Nov-22 11:12:32

My DIL has taken 2 dogs from others that could no longer care for them but there was no question of payment, I don’t see any problem with that. Over the years she has also had ponies “free to a good home” common practice in the horse world.

Blondiescot Wed 02-Nov-22 11:18:12

It is a tricky one, because I can understand what you are saying, that if it is genuine, then you would be rehoming a dog and giving it a loving home. However, rehoming in this way is fraught with dangers and I would definitely urge caution. I'm a member of various Labrador groups on Facebook and any time anyone asks for advice on rehoming a dog, we always advise them to go through a proper rescue. If you feel deep down that this is genuine and want to look into it further, I would say definitely proceed with caution and check everything out to the very best of your ability first.

MawtheMerrier Wed 02-Nov-22 11:19:36

I can see how tempting it us to rescue this little dog and possibly save him from a less scrupulous destination.
But what if he turns to be stolen? No money should change hands without seeing his paperwork , checking he is chipped and vaccinated. Can you afford to write off £500 if these do not match Up?
I also think no encouragement should be given to puppyfarming if that is indeed the case.
A hard position to be in.

FlexibleFriend Wed 02-Nov-22 11:20:43

I've done this several times and never had a problem. People rehome for a multitude of reasons. By all means be careful and have your spidey senses on alert but all mine have worked out well. I have paid for some and had two for free, it usually depends on breed and how much was originally paid and how difficult it's proving to rehome.
Good Luck.

ParlorGames Wed 02-Nov-22 11:24:43

Aveline

Why not suggest meeting at a vets? Good practice on both sides. If they refuse - draw your own conclusions.

I agree Aveline and would avoid if the sellers were disinclined to agree.

Nightsky2 Wed 02-Nov-22 11:39:31

ParlorGames

Aveline

I agree Aveline and would avoid if the sellers were disinclined to agree.

Or…try to find out which vet she’s used for vaccinations and phone them explaining what it is you’re planning. Any decent vet would understand your concerns. It’s a tricky one.

sodapop Wed 02-Nov-22 13:01:30

I agree with everyone else, a vet check is not just advisable but necessary. They can also check for microchips to ensure the dog's provenance.
I think £500 is a lot for a dog they want to rehome.

Hithere Wed 02-Nov-22 15:35:38

More way

They are not rehoming, they are making a profit

They have made an "assessment" of your home based on you description

The dog hasn't been sterilized so she can have puppies

You do not meet the criteria of dog rescues

Hithere Wed 02-Nov-22 15:36:10

No way, not "more way"

Oldbat1 Wed 02-Nov-22 15:59:20

If I was rehoming my dog I would still go through a recognised rescue eg springer Spaniel rescue in this case who would do all the necessary home checks and provide back up if things went wrong. Obviously the rescue would probably charge a fee for this service. Without these checks you could be buying a “stolen” dog or one with a known genetic problem or One involved in matrimonial dispute. Vets are unable to give details of what the chip says unless chip is flagged as a stolen dog due to data protection. Family should be able to provide proper paperwork re spaying, vaccinations and chip details from veterinary receipts. Family concerned should also wish your circumstances to be checked. I know I sound a bit ott but have been involved with rescue for many years. I’ve witnessed the worst of human behaviour with many lies being told. I really hope it all works out well for you and the wee dog.