Gransnet forums

Pets

Nurturing

(7 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 23-Oct-22 09:03:29

I meet lots of dog walkers in my local park, but the majority of them are women. Do you think as women we have this constant urge to nurture and need to look after something? I must admit I love taking care of my puppy and she makes me really happy. My DH is a dog lover too, but he's not on the same scale as me.

Blondiescot Sun 23-Oct-22 09:06:56

Oh, I wouldn't say that's the case around here. When I'm out walking our Lab, I would say I meet just as many male dog walkers as female. My DH is just as much of a dog lover too.
I'm not sure about the nurturing thing, to be honest - I prefer animals over people any day of the week. Give me a puppy over a baby any day.

Joseanne Sun 23-Oct-22 09:45:53

I might be wrong but here it depends on the size of dog. The men all walk the bigger dogs, the fast, strong ones!
My DH is far too soft with our wilful puppy.

FannyCornforth Sun 23-Oct-22 10:15:11

Yes. Definitely. When my little dog died I was absolutely devastated.
I remember saying ‘I need something to love’.
My dogs have definitely been my children.
I get much pleasure and satisfaction knowing that I give my dogs and cats a lovely life.
When my Nan was in her 90s and I’ll it really upset her that she couldn’t really have a pet anymore.
She said that she needed something to need her.

Caleo Sun 23-Oct-22 10:32:36

My elderly sons are nurturing and always have been.

FannyCornforth Sun 23-Oct-22 13:45:54

Caleo

My elderly sons are nurturing and always have been.

Yes, Caleo it’s more likely a nurturing /not nurturing thing, as opposed to a female/ male thing.
My dad is very nurturing too.

Rosina Sun 23-Oct-22 13:50:12

I get great satisfaction from feeding my cats and hearing them purr; watching settling into their warm beds at night and brushing them in the mornings. My small dog wakes every day, full of joy and raring to go, and it's always a happy time to feed him and get the lead and collar out. Yes - nurturing is something that makes me happy.