Gransnet forums

Pets

Daughters cat moving in. Advice Please.

(11 Posts)
mumski Mon 05-Sep-22 17:25:13

It's likely my DD and her cat will be moving back home with me while she looks for somewhere to buy in the next month.
Can I have your advice as I have 2 elderly lady cats and my DD has a 2 year old neutered tom cat.
What would you suggest is the best way to introduce them and hope they get on.
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Sep-22 17:59:35

It's many years since I had cats but in my experience they sort out their hierarchy! Definitely a separate bed, litter tray and (at first anyway) feeding area for the boy though. He will probably get his comeuppance from the ladies!

Chardy Mon 05-Sep-22 18:00:08

Our visitor house cat has spent the last few days in a room (door shut) with litter tray, toys and food, and an adult popping by to play every few hours. Gradually will introduce the others, one at a time and see how it goes.
Good luck

Fleurpepper Mon 05-Sep-22 18:03:14

the elderly ladies need a space they can call their own, with their own food and litter tray, etc. Even when they do mix, they need that space all to themselves, if and when they feel they need it. If that is not possible, daughter will have to keep her cat in her room, with all the necessary.

MaizieD Mon 05-Sep-22 18:04:07

The fact that you're introducing a male cat to females will probably be a good thing. Male cat to male cat (even though neutered) always seems to end in a battle for dominance. It doesn't seem to happen with male to female.

Hithere Mon 05-Sep-22 19:12:35

It may take some time for the cats to get used to each other, I bet they will have a blast.

ExDancer Mon 05-Sep-22 19:21:19

www.petforums.co.uk/forums/cat-chat.6/

There's a lot of advice on the above forum, it's helped me in many ways over the years.

Fleurpepper Mon 05-Sep-22 19:30:19

MaizieD

The fact that you're introducing a male cat to females will probably be a good thing. Male cat to male cat (even though neutered) always seems to end in a battle for dominance. It doesn't seem to happen with male to female.

Yes, definitely. Are they indoor only cats, or both outdoors and in?

HowVeryDareYou Mon 05-Sep-22 21:50:45

I've had several cats, over the past 42 years. When my boy came to us 11 years ago, he was feral and I had him neutered, microchipped, all that. He settled in ok. I already had 2 senior females. One made friends with him, the other either avoided him or hissed at and batted him. It took a few months, but the 3 of them settled down and used to all sleep on my bed.

Best of luck. Feliway plug-in things might help.

mumski Tue 06-Sep-22 08:31:47

Such good advice from everyone. Hearing the stories of it being successful (eventually) is really encouraging .
Thank you for your support and wisdom x

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Sep-22 12:45:06

Keep your daughter's cat in her room to start with, or if it is possible in two ajoining rooms.

Your cats will become curious and after a while you can let the newcomer join the two others.

They will probably hiss and spit at each other. If possible, leave them to sort things out for themselves, but obviously you will have to intervene if a serious fight or bullying is the order of the day.

It is a good thing that your daugher's cat is younger than yours, as usually a young cat will defer to an older one, irrespective of sex.