Gransnet forums

Pets

normal or not for puppy to be destroying things

(24 Posts)
Dissident Mon 29-Aug-22 14:09:28

My daughter and her partner got a puppy 6 months ago. When I stayed last week he was destroying shoes, slippers, clothes and anything else that is in his reach. He jumps up on people and bites and pulls their clothes too causing damage. I have never had dogs but he looks well cared for and has plenty of toys. He gets constant attention, I do not know anything about dogs but I wonder if that itself is normal or good for him. While I was there he destroyed a pair of new slippers. They keep the puppy pads in the lounge and he still poos on the carpet. Is this what is to be expected of a 6 month puppy?

MerylStreep Mon 29-Aug-22 14:16:00

I read a post like this the other day. That dog was 6yrs old and nothing had changed from being a puppy.

vissos Mon 29-Aug-22 14:20:21

He won't change unless he's trained. Sadly, a lot of people expect the 'finished product' and don't realise what hard work puppies are!

Iam64 Mon 29-Aug-22 14:21:22

The puppy needs guidance. His owners need training. My pups are all house trained in 3 weeks so by 12 weeks of age.
Puppy pads are a waste of money and help the pup think toilet indoors is acceptable.
He’ll be teething so won’t distinguish between slippers and his chew toys
They need to join a good training group and commit to it.

Hithere Mon 29-Aug-22 14:21:58

Is puppy teething?

Smileless2012 Mon 29-Aug-22 14:26:22

The puppy needs to be encouraged to chew his own things Dissident so anything that isn't his should be taken off him and replaced with what is. Likewise, anything he may chew shouldn't be left lying around.

Biting and pulling at clothes needs to be stopped asap. If he grows up thinking this is OK, it will very difficult to stop.

Puppy pads are useful but at his age, still having them around because he poos on the carpet is merely encouraging him to go in the house, rather than outside.

House training isn't easy and when we got our cockapoo 4 years ago I'd forgotten how much effort and patience is required as it had been such a long time since we'd had a puppy. That said, I wouldn't expect a 6 month old puppy to be going to the toilet in the house on a regular basis.

saltnshake Mon 29-Aug-22 14:27:36

The puppy and his owners need training. The puppy is teething so will want to chew a lot. Kong do a range of chew toys which he should be encouraged to use instead of chewing on slippers. Dogs really do have to be trained not to jump up otherwise they'll continue to do it when they are older and that could have nasty consequences.

Blondiescot Mon 29-Aug-22 14:32:57

Iam64

The puppy needs guidance. His owners need training. My pups are all house trained in 3 weeks so by 12 weeks of age.
Puppy pads are a waste of money and help the pup think toilet indoors is acceptable.
He’ll be teething so won’t distinguish between slippers and his chew toys
They need to join a good training group and commit to it.

Totally agree. Our pups have all been house trained by that age too. This pup is likely to be teething and the owners need to be firm and consistent with him - they are like little land sharks at that stage, so they need to be firm, say no to him when he starts to chew things and distract him with something that he can chew. Kong toys are good, but a frozen carrot is also a good idea and will help to soothe his gums too. I would firmly recommend taking him to puppy training classes - it sounds as if it would be good for the owners as well as the pup! As another poster has rightly pointed out, puppies are very hard work and training is an absolute must, for everyone's sake.
However, that stage does pass and if you put in the work, you'll be rewarded a million times over with the love and affection a dog brings.

MiniMoon Mon 29-Aug-22 14:33:41

I taught my poodle puppy to "go" on sheets of newspaper and gradually moved them to the back door, and then to a specific place in the garden. He always used that place.
He was house trained before my toddler son was out of nappies grin.
As for the biting and chewing, this needs to be stopped now. The puppy has to learn that this is not acceptable.

Iam64 Mon 29-Aug-22 14:33:58

It’s all normal puppy behaviour but the pup needs a leader to help him understand how to behave.
Two good books. Easy Peasy puppy squeezy by Steve and the happy puppy handbook by Pippa Mattinson’s.

Puppies are full on, the thrive on routines and need to be helped to behave well. Anything in reach or on the floor is theirs.

Dissident Mon 29-Aug-22 14:38:00

Hithere, no they say he is not teething.
They do not seem to do training.

Dissident Mon 29-Aug-22 14:39:48

saltnshake yes he does nip people when he jumps up and also a lot of visitors do not like having their face licked

Fleurpepper Mon 29-Aug-22 14:46:16

What breed is he? And how old was he when they took him away from mother?

This makes me so sad, because without training this will get worse, and then the owners will take him to a rescue and say they can't handle him. People have noooo idea what a responsibility and hard (wonderful) work a puppy is.

Eventually, it is the dog that will suffer and it will end in tears. Makes me sad- and very angry too. Not sure what you can do though.

Blondiescot Mon 29-Aug-22 15:03:19

Dissident - all they are doing in storing up more problems as the pup gets older. Training is an absolute must. They need to be very firm with him about the nipping/biting and jumping up before it gets any worse.
I'm sorry to say this, but Fleurpepper could well be right - if they don't get a grip on this now, the situation could well escalate to a point where they feel they can't cope with the dog any longer.
If you take on a pup - any dog, in fact - then it ought to be a lifetime commitment and you have a responsibility as the owner to ensure that that dog gets all the attention and training it needs. Yes, it is hard work - but it's worth it.

ElaineI Tue 30-Aug-22 14:05:09

Never had dogs but would think training was a must. When I worked one receptionist had her house phone chewed up by the puppy.
Even cats can be trained to a certain extent. We used puppy pads when our elderly cat was very ill and worked a treat.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Aug-22 14:14:19

Sometimes people give an old shoe or even a sock to their puppy to chew or play with. This is a real no no because they can't be expected to distinguish between which was is allowed and which is off limits.

I had several dogs (rescues) before i got a puppy and I made the mistake of thinking that she should not go outdoors until she'd had her jabs so she was paper trained. It then took her longer to get used to going outdoors. She was a Cairn terrier and I was told that terriers often take a bit longer because their heads are elsewhere.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Aug-22 14:16:26

Training a puppy is just as hard work as bringing up a toddler.

All the behaviour you mention is quite usual for a puppy, but has to be stopped gently but firmly.

Right now I am training two 3 month old kittens - an easier job in that they arrived fully house-trained due to the difference between dogs and cats.

Instead I am dealing with a kitten who refuses to remember that he may not walk on the dining-table or the kitchen work-top. His sister has accepted this, but she on the other hand wants to climb curtains.

Like small children, they know the word "No" - they just don't want to obey it, the same applies to puppies. Generally speaking they are easier to distract than children and kittens are.

However, this is not your puppy, so tread carefully unless the owners have asked for advice.

I would be concerned too. From your description they will end up having to either rehome the dog, or have him put down - especially if he continues to be allowed to bite.

Fleurpepper Tue 30-Aug-22 14:50:52

Dinahmo

Sometimes people give an old shoe or even a sock to their puppy to chew or play with. This is a real no no because they can't be expected to distinguish between which was is allowed and which is off limits.

I had several dogs (rescues) before i got a puppy and I made the mistake of thinking that she should not go outdoors until she'd had her jabs so she was paper trained. It then took her longer to get used to going outdoors. She was a Cairn terrier and I was told that terriers often take a bit longer because their heads are elsewhere.

On of DD's dogs used to like to play with a sock. Last year, he swallowed one! To emergency vet on a Sunday and that had to operate to get it out. A painful and very expenive mistake. They don't leave socks lying around anymore!

Jane43 Tue 06-Sep-22 22:55:18

Dissident

Hithere, no they say he is not teething.
They do not seem to do training.

Oh dear they will regret not doing this. Training a puppy can be exhausting but it is essential otherwise they will cause chaos in the house.

Zoejory Tue 06-Sep-22 23:00:11

I've had many dogs over the years. The first 2 years of a dog's life can be chaotic. They do like to chew . Our dining table legs have scars. Socks were stolen on a regular basis. We be walking downstairs and one of ours would be attacking our feet in order to save us from our socks.

With regard to toileting dog's are like children. Some get it faster than others. But they do tend to get it in the end

Never had ours trained. They become part of the family and calm down as they age.

Always best to keep shoes and slippers out of reach

Starlyte Fri 14-Oct-22 15:40:23

I am of the advice, as apparently they can't seem to train him themselves, that they take him to training sessions. It will just get harder as he get older. Dogs are not adult before 18 months or 2 years.
My DGD has a puppy, and is starting classes with him. She doesn't know how to train so she is finding out.
As for unused puppy pads, the only solution is a walk after meals, regularly. It does sink in with praise each time he goes outside.
It takes work and time.
But better now than another dog at the refuge later on.

Blossoming Fri 14-Oct-22 15:47:11

I wouldn’t tolerate the jumping up and biting. That needs to be firmly nipped in the bud.

Joseanne Fri 14-Oct-22 15:48:38

15 months and still causing damage this week!

MerylStreep Fri 14-Oct-22 15:59:11

I doubt very much if the OP is still looking for advice.