Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog sitting/insurance

(36 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Jun-22 22:25:03

Later this year I have agreed to look after a Yorkshire terrier for a week. I have met the dog and owners once but we will be meeting again a few times. No money will exchange hands, I was wondering if I needed some sort of insurance?

The owners only want the dog to spend time in my rear garden- they do not want him taken to a park and walked, even on a lead. As it will be winter I doubt if we will be going outside the front door.

Has anybody any ideas please?

TillyTrotter Mon 06-Jun-22 09:16:22

I have no experience to bring Charleygirl but bumping the thread as I am sure there are grans with the knowledge to help with this.
Lucky little Yorkshire terrier to be looked after by you. ?

Auntieflo Mon 06-Jun-22 09:18:39

Surely, if you are looking after the dog, out of the goodness of your heart, the dog owners should have some sort of insurance to cover any losses/ damage etc?

TillyTrotter Mon 06-Jun-22 09:34:55

A question that sprang to my mind was: will house insurance cover damage done by a dog being looked after - not owned by - a house owner
e.g. doors being scratched, carpet being chewed?

25Avalon Mon 06-Jun-22 09:41:36

He may well be covered by pet health insurance which most owners take out. This may or may not include cover for accidents such as the dog running out in the road and causing an accident. I would check with the owners. Also you will need to know about vet cover should the dog be taken ill.

cornergran Mon 06-Jun-22 10:01:41

That’s a good question charley. Sadly I’ve no idea! Having said that in your shoes I’d check with the owner to see if their insurance covers the dog while he is cared for elsewhere. If not can they arrange temporary cover for you? You’re saving them cash by offering to care for their pet for free.

I suspect as you’re not running a business and the dog isn’t yours it would be hard to get your own insurance although your home insurance may well include public liability cover which may also cover the dog’s actions. Good to have peace of mind over this.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Jun-22 11:17:51

When I met "the parents" the first thing I asked was about vet cover.

I have been told not to take him for walks- his only exercise will be running around my house and rear garden. I do not approve but I will follow instructions.

I will not be following their feeding instructions as I do not want to kill the dog with food poisoning. He only dines on boiled chicken and rice. They were going to cook enough for 8 days but I said cooked chicken can only be kept in a fridge for 2 days-something they did not know.

I am having reservations as you can read between the lines!

PollyDolly Mon 06-Jun-22 11:23:58

Charleygirl5

When I met "the parents" the first thing I asked was about vet cover.

I have been told not to take him for walks- his only exercise will be running around my house and rear garden. I do not approve but I will follow instructions.

I will not be following their feeding instructions as I do not want to kill the dog with food poisoning. He only dines on boiled chicken and rice. They were going to cook enough for 8 days but I said cooked chicken can only be kept in a fridge for 2 days-something they did not know.

I am having reservations as you can read between the lines!

They could portion and freeze the cooked chicken surely? And actually, I would be more worried about the cooked rice which is a breeding ground for bacteria after it is cooked and cooled - thinking about the leftovers in the dogs bowl

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 06-Jun-22 11:37:58

I wouldn’t change his diet. That’s a tummy upset waiting to happen. He’s obviously used to a very bland diet, which may have been recommended by the vet. Maybe they could freeze the portions for you.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 06-Jun-22 11:39:18

Some very knowledgable folk on mums et in “the doghouse”. You will get advice from owners, vets and kennel owners.
Personally. I think having the dog confined for a week could lead to the sort of bad behaviour you will see in a bored dog; chewing, barking to get out, not sleeping well etc. Also such an indulged pet will will their owner and be very homesick. I sound negative - not sure this will be a happy experience especially as the days go on.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 06-Jun-22 11:40:43

Typos. Sorry bad hay fever.

Audi10 Mon 06-Jun-22 11:49:51

I presume that the dog must have some sort of health issues if on bland diet like that! Personally I wouldn’t change his diet I’d be following instructions from the owners ask if they could freeze the portions to help you, it’s sad that they don’t want him walked though,

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Jun-22 11:50:06

GSM I would not consider changing his diet- I would prefer to cook his food myself as and when he needs it, that is if he ever comes here. He is not allowed treats so again, I would follow instructions.

As I am not allowed to take him for a walk I think boredom may be a large factor.

He was a happy little chap running around my house but his "parents" were here.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 06-Jun-22 12:04:00

I agree, freshly cooked is much better and slightly warm nicer I would think than straight from the fridge. I didn’t mention it in case you didn’t want to cook, also because of energy costs.
It’s strange that they don’t want you to walk him on a lead. He’s a very small dog, not a large and powerful dog which could be problematic. Are his vaccinations up to date? If they are, and he’s chipped and wearing an identity tag I don’t understand why walking is banned. I think you need to clarify why that is.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Jun-22 12:16:25

GMS I did. He is small and has had a few bad experiences with larger dogs who have chased him in the park and the owners have done little. He refuses to even enter a park now.

He is terrified of all dogs and wants to have human company 24/7 which he would have here. I did explain I would need to go out to buy the odd loaf of bread and he would not be coming in the car with me. He really is pampered but a sweet little chap.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 06-Jun-22 13:05:12

Oh dear. So he never even has a little walk down the road? Poor little chap.

Beautful Mon 06-Jun-22 13:19:51

Make sure they contact the vets, so if any problems you have authority to authorise the treatment if not won't do it ... also remember to have vets name & contact number ... all the best when you dog sit

Iam64 Mon 06-Jun-22 16:31:46

Does his routine at home include on lead walks? If so he may become bored without the opportunity to walk and sniff. Bored dogs can find their own entertainment ?‍?.
Another one who says don’t change his diet. He may have health issues that mean this bland diet is essential. Any change in diet should best be done gradually over a week or so
You could buy a licki mat to squash his food in. He will have to work to get it - enriching and more tiring
Does he play find games? Hiding one of his toys and sending him to find it - those kind of games are fun and help prevent boredom

Oldbat1 Mon 06-Jun-22 20:51:22

I wouldn’t worry too much about taking him out. He may not want to go anyway. Also a week isn’t really long. By the sound of it he must have tummy issues. My dogs don’t get any treats due to tummy issues. If there is a major issue the vet would contact the owners for verbal permission. My vet did this when we were abroad and our old cat had a stroke - they wanted verbal permission from me. Obviously fingers crossed nothing like that happens.

cornergran Mon 06-Jun-22 21:01:15

Charley if you’ve got concerns why not ask that he spend some time alone with you pre boarding. Start with an hour and work up. If he settles on his own all should be well.

Food-wise frozen portions would work, no need for you to cook for him unless you really want to.

Just out of interest has he been left before? If so did he cope? I imagine he’d not like a kennel environment if he’s become scared of other dogs. Poor little chap, he’s missing a lot.

MayBee70 Mon 06-Jun-22 22:01:00

If he’s a tiny dog is your garden secure? I’ve heard of people taking on a new rescue dog that has escaped through a hedge. If he’s not going for walks you could play lots of go find games in the house. It’s what I did with my daughters dog when they went away for two weeks and the dog came into season. Make sure the owner tells their insurance company. Have details of their vet. Get the owners to inform the vet that you will be in charge that week. Find out his identichip number in case he does escape (of course he won’t but belt and braces). If he’s a really tiny Yorkie don’t walk on him ( my big dread with little dogs). Get a dap diffuser plug in. Get them to write a list of his daily routine and stick to it.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Jun-22 22:34:49

Maybee my garden of course is secure. It is surrounded by fencing so unless he can jump 4-6 feet he will be fine.

I have made arrangements that he spends a few times here so he can get used to me and my house.

He does not have tummy problems- I do not think this couple have looked after animals before and he has been fed with chicken and rice for his entire 6 years.

He looks fit and healthy with heaps of energy.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 06-Jun-22 22:39:38

Poor thing, what a very boring diet.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Jun-22 23:09:29

I agree and no wonder he does not always fancy eating it.

I was also asked to heat his food for 20 seconds in the microwave- not with my professional background- the chicken (and rice) must be fully warmed. I am amazed he is so fit and healthy if that is what happens to him. Probably most of the time he is fed immediately after the food has been cooked and cooled but that is not possible each time.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Jun-22 00:34:13

I was thinking more of a tiny dog digging under a fence which is what my daughters Miniature Schnauzer does. Mind you I don’t think Yorkies are diggers. My dog live her Tuggy toy. In fact she’ll be asking to play with it soon…it’s something she always wants to do before bedtime. It uses up a bit of energy. Those sachets of rice are quite handy. They’re quite cheap. If he’s been attacked by other dogs he will be wary. I looked after a dog that had been badly attacked by another dog. We were under strict instructions not to let him off lead and to hold his lead tightly ( he was a strong dog). We took him across the fields at the back of our house and out if the blue a small terrier came running up to us barking. ThankfullyI was holding the lead as instructed or he would have taken off. He was terrified. Pity about not being allowed treats as go find is such a good way of using up energy.