Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Reindeers!

(18 Posts)
Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 08:00:53

I’ve seen this a lot lately, admittedly on MN - I really ought to break that habit and Do Something Useful instead.
Ditto elf’s on shelf’s.

Grandma70s Mon 05-Dec-22 08:07:21

Do you think we are getting less literate as a nation?

MawtheMerrier Mon 05-Dec-22 09:51:46

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:33:26

Grandma70s

The Elf on the Shelf is nodding.

Mollygo Mon 05-Dec-22 10:35:27

I haven’t seen that yet Witzend , but it’s the time of year when we try to persuade children to sing, “and if you ever saw it, (instead of ‘sore it’) you would even say it glows”
Maybe this year we should practise
“The elves themselves sit in the shelves.”

Norah Mon 05-Dec-22 10:36:54

Callistemon21

Grandma70s

The Elf on the Shelf is nodding.

Watching Reindeers waiting for carrots. grin

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:40:25

and if you ever saw it, (instead of ‘sore it’

*Mollygo, no-one has ever managed (split infinitive) to persuade me that it is anything but 'sore it'.

So satisfying to sing!! 🦌

Mollygo Mon 05-Dec-22 10:47:53

Callistemon21

^and if you ever saw it, (instead of ‘sore it’^

*Mollygo, no-one has ever managed (split infinitive) to persuade me that it is anything but 'sore it'.

So satisfying to sing!! 🦌

I know that, 🤣🤣🤣
but it’s our job to try, because otherwise they write that they sore it as well as sing it!

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:54:20

Oh 😂

I sore saw it - honestly, I did one night a few years ago!!

Someone said it was the International Space Station but I know better 🦌

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 10:59:05

Maybe the elf on the shelf could go and join the chief dwarf and sit on the roof.

sodapop Mon 05-Dec-22 17:44:24

Yes why is it not 'rooves' Blossoming very confusing for people learning English. smile

grandtanteJE65 Tue 06-Dec-22 15:06:51

All languages are confusing for foreigners learning them, or even for small children whose native language is being acquired.

The Danish equivalent of "Put your best foot forward" is "Put your longer leg forward" which makes even less sense then the English expression. After all if your one leg is weaker or shorter than they other obviously you cannot walk fast, which is what these expressions are supposedly encouraging you to do.

Irregular plurals exist in all languages I have ever tried to learn, as do irregular verbs.

Most languages, apart from English, have a completely arbitary system of grammatical gender - Danish has common and neuter nouns with no reference to the actual gender of birds, beasts or mankind. German has three grammatical genders and very few rules accounting for whether a noun is masculine, feminine or neuter.

Formerly, amongst well-educated people there was less confusion about what was correct as grammar was properly taught in schools and even newspapers employed proof-readers, but that is not to say that any of us are less literate than former generations.

It is probably much of a muchness, as nowadays it isn't politically correct to insist on grammatical correctness at the expense of dialects that often are incorrect seen from the grammarian's point.

I was taught that there is a difference between waiting for someone or something and waiting on someone, but all my life I have heard all over the west of Scotland people saying, "I was waiting on the bus for ages." This does not mean they were sitting cosily in the bus, but that they were freezing their bums off at the bus-stop. Fowler's "King's English" (and my father and school-teachers) insisted with one voice that you "waited for the bus" if you were standing at the bus-stop and "on the bus" if it was stuck in traffic or had broken down while you were travelling on it.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 15:51:32

“I could of told you that”. 😁

Witzend Tue 06-Dec-22 20:11:04

IMO there a big difference between quirks of dialect and mere sloppiness, though, Grandtante. Even a pernickety old pedant like me can enjoy hearing ‘I should ha’ went…’ in a broad Scottish accent, not to mention seeing, ‘Us be plaized to zee ee!’ on a banner in a small Devon town during some celebratory fete.

JackyB Wed 07-Dec-22 08:22:40

I was taught that there is a difference between waiting for someone or something and waiting on someone, but all my life I have heard all over the west of Scotland people saying, "I was waiting on the bus for ages." This does not mean they were sitting cosily in the bus, but that they were freezing their bums off at the bus-stop. Fowler's "King's English" (and my father and school-teachers) insisted with one voice that you "waited for the bus" if you were standing at the bus-stop and "on the bus" if it was stuck in traffic or had broken down while you were travelling on it.

I have a similar niggle with "sorry for" and "sorry about". "I am sorry for your loss" - what is that even supposed to mean?

AussieGran59 Wed 07-Dec-22 08:36:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marydoll Wed 07-Dec-22 08:41:29

As a signed up pedant and member of the Grammar Police, I was sat, really irritates me.

You don't really hear it much in Scotland.

Baggs Wed 07-Dec-22 09:38:46

This morning in a newspaper:

"The amount of people affected by the invasive type of Strep A have increased”

AAARGH!

The number of people ... has increased