Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Cleaner

(17 Posts)
Mimi1956 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:00:48

I’m in a quandary I have a cleaner who is pretty good. I asked her if she could also clean for my daughter. I said if she was too busy, just say so.
Any how to cut to the chase she’s promised to call at my daughters on numerous occasions and has let her down.
The last time without any excuse/reason. I’m so annoyed as I recommended her and gave her a get out if she didn’t want to do it. So do I keep her as my cleaner or let her go. Part of me says tell her how disappointed I am and not to bother coming back. On the other hand she’s a good cleaner! Any advice please and I know it’s not a big deal given other things in the world.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:05:09

I can't see the point in losing a good cleaner. I'd just accept that she made some mistakes with her 'promises'. Don't 'cut off your nose to spite your face'!

Vintagenonna Wed 23-Nov-22 12:14:59

I wonder if your housekeeper is too embarrassed to tell you she is too busy for fear of offending you? Or perhaps your daughter's domestic set up will be more challenging than she can take on at the moment?

I'm with Hetty 58 - let it drop and your daughter can do her own running round. Or her own cleaning. Great exercise, free, saves a trip the gym etc. etc. etc.

nanna8 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:24:24

I’d keep her, she hasn’t actually done anything wrong. Some people agree to things just to be pleasant, especially some Asian people so perhaps it was something like this.

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Nov-22 12:35:30

I'd keep her. A bird in the Hand etc etc

eazybee Wed 23-Nov-22 12:41:20

Keep her; you don't want to lose a good cleaner and there may be reasons she doesn't want to work for your daughter.

GagaJo Wed 23-Nov-22 13:07:50

Really good cleaners are hard to find. IF she is really good, keep her.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Nov-22 13:10:17

I am with Hetty all of the way.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Nov-22 13:25:03

I would keep her if she does a good job. She ought to have told you she was too busy/ didn’t want any more work/ too far to travel to daughter’s/ whatever, but probably thought you would be offended or something, and chickened out.

No point in both of you having to find a new one is there?

Elegran Wed 23-Nov-22 13:42:26

Pedants' corner?

jenpax Wed 23-Nov-22 13:49:37

Absolutely keep her! I have had shoddy cleaners and star ones. The latter are hard to find! My current cleaner ironically also let my daughter down with a poor job at the the time of her move, have I let her go? No!

25Avalon Wed 23-Nov-22 13:56:16

There’s an old saying “ Don’t cut your nose to spite your face”.

Good cleaners that you can trust in your home are few and far between. You obviously think she’s good or you wouldn’t have suggested her to your daughter. Keep hero’s my advice unless you already have a replacement lined up.

Norah Wed 23-Nov-22 13:56:23

Keep her, good cleaners are difficult to find.

25Avalon Wed 23-Nov-22 13:56:35

Keep her is

Grandmabatty Wed 23-Nov-22 13:57:56

Has she let you down? If not, then your daughter can make her own decisions. If yes, then you can make your decision.

Yammy Wed 23-Nov-22 14:38:54

If she's good keep her and don't mention your daughter again. I wouldn't go so far as to say she should do her own cleaning without knowing her circumstances only you and she know that. If one is needed, see if there is an agency in her area. You might get a shock at what they charge. One by word of mouth is usually cheaper.

welbeck Wed 23-Nov-22 14:59:53

she didn't want to do the other job.
nor did she want to say so bluntly to you.
both you and daughter should have realised that by now.
actions speak louder than words.
just carry on as you are.
or if you prefer to be proud about it, get rid of her.
and try to find another one.