Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Metric

(56 Posts)
CountessFosco Fri 14-Oct-22 13:56:14

Bearing in mind Britain adopted the metric system in 1965, it is really pathetic that estate agents, and advertisers [on eBay] are still using feet and inches.

Fleurpepper Fri 14-Oct-22 13:58:08

Yes. If anyone has not got the hang of metric by now, then I just don't know what to say!

welbeck Fri 14-Oct-22 14:00:26

no it's not.
i think in feet and inches.
am aware of metric and use it when necessary, eg technical items, medical matters.
but for everyday things, it's always, he was a tall man, at least six foot.

MawtheMerrier Fri 14-Oct-22 14:02:29

I can turn a blind eye to my weight in kg but when it’s given in stones and lbs I am horrified!
Same with baby weights- 7lb 6 all of mine but no idea what that is in new money!

varian Fri 14-Oct-22 14:03:47

Metric and imperial measures have both been used, sometimes simultaneously. On a building site it is not uncommon for a builder to ask for "2 metres of the 2 by 3" (meaning 2 inch by 3 inch timber).

In spite of having learned the metric system well before 1965 when I studied science, I still find it easier to visualise my height in feet and inches, my weight in stones and pounds, drinks in pints and a field in acres.

These days thanks to google, it is no problem to switch from one measurement system to another .

Mollygo Fri 14-Oct-22 14:06:38

Many of those who grew up with feet and inches can use either. Those who only know metric, only know metric except for miles.
How tall a man is is a good example, Wellbeck. If I have an image of my 6 foot tall husband in my mind, then saying 2 m means I have to deduct 6 cm to get the same image. Although I suppose I could say he’s just under 2 m tall or even he’s 194 cm tall.

LadyGracie Fri 14-Oct-22 14:32:56

I do a bit of both and always ask Mr Google to convert if needed.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 14:36:11

I can work in both, but perhaps those brought up with imperial measurements might find it easier to visualise room dimensions in imperial but want to know the metric too.

On a building site it is not uncommon for a builder to ask for "2 metres of the 2 by 3" (meaning 2 inch by 3 inch timber)
Yes, DH measured how much he wanted from the timber merchants and asked for it in metric as required, which they went to get ready. "How much is it?" he asked.
"£1 a foot" they replied ?

tanith Fri 14-Oct-22 14:37:02

I still think in Imperial I roughly know metric but it just makes more sense to my old brain. My new GGD was 6lb 7ozs not sure why babies are still weighed that way though.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 14:37:06

We're still using miles CountessFosco

kircubbin2000 Fri 14-Oct-22 14:38:21

Fleurpepper

Yes. If anyone has not got the hang of metric by now, then I just don't know what to say!

I still haven't a clue! Why is this on pedants corner?

Esspee Fri 14-Oct-22 14:47:12

Why do we still use miles? Can anyone enlighten me?

I am approaching 74 years of age. In primary school we used ounces, pounds, inches and feet but at secondary school we used the metric system. It is disgraceful that the changeover wasn't enforced in all aspects.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Oct-22 14:50:51

I still use gret and inches.
My mind can't fathom metric measurements.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Oct-22 14:51:36

Feet.
Couldnt Dee die to an advert taking up my screen.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Oct-22 14:51:59

Oh balls!!

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 14:54:58

MissAdventure

I still use gret and inches.
My mind can't fathom metric measurements.

Like it!

A fathom is 1.8288m btw!

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 14:55:29

MissAdventure

Oh balls!!

Variable in size!

MissAdventure Fri 14-Oct-22 14:56:31

Don't complicate issues. grin
I've just about worked out roughly 100cm in my mind.

MerylStreep Fri 14-Oct-22 14:58:57

Maybe it’s because we’re British and we like it

CatsCatsCats Fri 14-Oct-22 15:00:32

I use both under different circumstances - grams and kilogrammes when cooking but stones and pounds when weighing myself.

It was funny a couple of weeks ago, when our son Skyped us from Australia with the lovely news of his son's birth. We asked how much he weighed. "3.445 kg" was the reply. We sat there for five minutes trying to calculate the weight in lbs and ozs (7lb, 6oz - a good healthy weight).

BlueBelle Fri 14-Oct-22 15:10:26

I m afraid I m one of those stupid people who still thinks in stones pounds and ounces and feet and inches and definitely miles
I can convert using Mrgoogle ? I ve no idea what I am in height or weight without converting
I m better with weather / heat that’s just about there
….but cooking I need scales and liquid containers with both on
So sorry countessfosco I m stupid
I presume if we had gone completely over I d have got used to it better but because many things are still in imperial I ll stick with half and half

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 16:19:30

MerylStreep

Maybe it’s because we’re British and *we like it*

And because imperial measurements are still used in some countries we trade with?
eg the USA

Chestnut Fri 14-Oct-22 16:26:39

Esspee

Why do we still use miles? Can anyone enlighten me?

I am approaching 74 years of age. In primary school we used ounces, pounds, inches and feet but at secondary school we used the metric system. It is disgraceful that the changeover wasn't enforced in all aspects.

We still use imperial because we're British and we love it! I'm not sure that makes us disgraceful. Centuries of imperial means our brains are wired for it, and not naturally wired for metric. What annoys me is when they use both, sometimes together. Let's just go back to imperial, although that might be tricky for the money. ? ?

Fleurpepper Fri 14-Oct-22 16:27:00

57 years !

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 16:28:20

CountessFosco

Bearing in mind Britain adopted the metric system in 1965, it is really pathetic that estate agents, and advertisers [on eBay] are still using feet and inches.

Do you do a lot of buying and selling, CountessFosco?
If it's not harming anyone, why worry?

Just looking at some properties online and room sizes, which are given in metric and imperial.
The total size, including garage, is given just in sq.ft but as that information is not much use to anyone, it matters not.
The plot is given in acreage (I can tell that it's too big for us now).