Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Still wondering why they chose this caption

(10 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sun 18-Sep-22 11:50:49

Yesterday, I was looking through the ad (on paper) delivered from a well-known supermarket.

It doesn't matter which one, as we live in Denmark.

Under a photo of soup on offer, the caption read, and I kid you not: Liquid soup.

Honestly! If it ain't liquid, it is stew, surely, not soup!

I mean, I have always known that supermarkets are not run by grammarians, but this is plain daft!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 18-Sep-22 12:49:56

You can get powdered soup to which you have to add water.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Sep-22 13:06:57

I do often use a powdered cup of soup when I m at work
It’s rather nice although not as good as home made straight out the garden vegi soup So yes you can have non liquid soup

Davida1968 Sun 18-Sep-22 13:09:50

Surely "powdered soup" is simply a "soup mix". (It's not a soup until it's become a liquid, IMO.) I agree with grandtante; truly it's a daft caption.

GagaJo Sun 18-Sep-22 14:27:37

When living in the USA, a relative told me he'd had an egg omlette for lunch. I wasn't aware there was any other kind.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 20-Sep-22 16:37:06

For some reason, GagaJo, your "egg omlette" reminded me of the reputable printing-house that prints well- know works of literature, such as Jane Eyre in paperback of the benefit of students and markets them cheaply - a laudable enterprise.

But then they go and spoil the whole thing by stating on the title page "Complete and unabridged edition"

Just as great a tautology as the Egg omlette!

mrswoo Tue 20-Sep-22 18:16:31

My DH always refers to an omlette as an egg omlette. It drives me mad and he just doesn't get it when I point out that he is over-egging the omlette!

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Sep-22 18:26:53

Would he call it a mushroom and egg omelette if it had mushrooms in it?
grin

BlueBelle Tue 20-Sep-22 19:49:16

Well it says soup on the packet Davida ??

mrswoo Tue 20-Sep-22 21:33:52

Notspaghetti he would call it a mushroom egg omelette - however, he considers any addition to an omelette other than cheese to be the work of the devil.
He is mostly quite normal in other ways!