Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

There, their and they're

(47 Posts)
CountessFosco Tue 12-Apr-22 11:55:59

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Standard of education dropping significantly? sad

Kim19 Tue 12-Apr-22 12:10:35

Or predictive text? Or stiff fingered keying abilities?

volver Tue 12-Apr-22 12:21:28

I have letters written by my great grandfather to one of his daughters 60 years ago, with random smatterings of there, their and they're.

We just see it more often because of everyone's access to the internet.

It does stick out like a sore thumb though.

timetogo2016 Tue 12-Apr-22 12:34:02

It certainly is,but we all make mistakes at times,and predictive txting doesn`t helo.
But tbh, as long as i know what they mean,it goes over my head.

MaizieD Tue 12-Apr-22 12:36:33

It 'can' be a typo. One of the essences of spelling is kinaesthetic memory, where you think a word and your brain starts your muscles writing it without any further input. In other words, it's automated spelling once you've thought the word (which is why it is so very difficult to correct a wrong spelling that's been engrained over time).

I don't do it when I'm handwriting, but strangely, when I'm doing my hunt and peck keyboarding, I sometimes get a time when my brain says 'I know that one' and gaily tells my fingers to write 'are' instead of 'our', 'their' instead of 'there' and 'your' instead of 'you're' etc.?.. It's bizarre, because I've always been an excellent speller. But I can generally spot it immediately if I proof read.

So I do cut people a bit of slack when they're typing rather than hand writing. ?

But it annoys me hugely when people do it all the time

Shinamae Tue 12-Apr-22 12:41:40

I am by no means a pedant but I do know the difference between there/their and to/too and use them correctly

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:10:58

Shinamae I agree with you.

A lot is due to poor education.

hazel93 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:32:28

I think those of us taught years ago grammar was hugely important.
Now, although it grates, if I understand what is being conveyed I think that will do.
How many of us have had a text ""cu@7" ?

Esspee Tue 12-Apr-22 13:34:21

I know the difference but sometimes predictive text takes over so unless you proof read these mistakes appear.
I can’t believe that anyone can read boarder and not correct it when border is meant. e.g. the border between Scotland and England.

GagaJo Tue 12-Apr-22 13:39:03

I'm an English teacher but frequently make mistakes when typing on my phone.

My pet grammatical peeve is 'should of' instead of 'should have/should've'.

Blondiescot Tue 12-Apr-22 13:39:42

hazel93

I think those of us taught years ago grammar was hugely important.
Now, although it grates, if I understand what is being conveyed I think that will do.
How many of us have had a text ""cu@7" ?

Language and grammar are constantly evolving - but there are occasions where incorrect grammar or punctuation can completely change the meaning of a sentence. Take “ Let’s eat, Grandma!” and “Let’s eat Grandma!” for example...

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Apr-22 13:57:12

There’s a lot of it on GN (and ‘should of’). I scream inwardly and want to correct it every time. Can’t help it, this sort of thing really gets to me. My husband says I should get a life.

Kim19 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:09:56

I think I do re-read before I hit the post button and yet..... errors do slip through. Yes, I think 'drat' but I wouldn't dream of doing a follow up correction unless the meaning of what I intended was impaired. I don't need to prove my ability to spell or correctly grammatise to anyone. Mind you, I do do an ethereal apology to my wonderful teachers of many years ago.

BigBertha1 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:32:08

I love this thread says all the things I want to say about standards dropping.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Apr-22 14:34:29

Trouble is, Bertha, most of the things we read on GN are written by people who are pretty much our age.

TillyTrotter Tue 12-Apr-22 14:35:33

I can spell - but while writing my enthusiasm to get out what I want to say is sometimes to the detriment of the quality of my spelling and grammar.
I did achieve an English “O” Level at school but that was a
looooooong time ago.

JaneJudge Tue 12-Apr-22 14:35:57

I've always been terrible at spelling and reading to a degree. I know the difference between their, there and they're though but still occasionally type the wrong one there/their on accident.

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-22 14:40:14

I can spell but predictive text often thinks it knows better and I don't always spot those before pressing 'post'.

When I see errors in others' posts, I do correct them in my head but I don't assume anything about the person's abilities.

If I'm in a hurry, I might just leave misspellings in my post if it's obvious what I mean. ?

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-22 14:42:09

How many of us have had a text "cu@7" ?

grin
Yes, I do those to some people who will appreciate it.

Audi10 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:45:05

It doesn’t worry me at all, it goes over my head! Far more interested in the content! But I’m an easy going person and not much rattles me.

Luckygirl3 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:48:38

Some of us have the rules under our belt, some do not. I find it hard to get worked up about it as long as the meaning is clear. I was lucky to have a decent education, but that is not so for everyone - I would rather be able to chat with them than not, and am happy to ignore these errors.

Grantanow Tue 12-Apr-22 15:00:41

In some walks of life it counts and in others it doesn't.

sodapop Tue 12-Apr-22 15:26:47

These errors jump out at me as well FarNorth but I don't say anything to the writer ( unless it's one of my family)
The other one which grates on me is your/you're So many times I see "your going to work" or "your missing the dog" grrrr.

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-22 15:33:10

Predictive text changes that sodapop even if I've typed it correctly.
It's understandable that someone who isn't actually sure will think spellchecker knows what it's doing.

eazybee Tue 12-Apr-22 18:04:35

I have two postcard albums full of cards sent to my Grandmother by her many sisters circa 1902 to 1914 plus; they were all educated at a small village school which they left aged thirteen.
I have yet to discover a spelling mistake.