Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

It's not a blasted slither!

(28 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 31-Jan-22 15:00:13

It's a SLIVER! This is my current shout at tv/radio, it drives me mad.

Just needed to get that off my chest, thank you very much. Feel better now ....

Baggs Mon 31-Jan-22 15:01:03

?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 31-Jan-22 15:01:52

I know the feeling!?

Oldnproud Mon 31-Jan-22 15:12:26

That meaning of 'slither' is listed in my 30-year-old Oxford Shorter dictionary, so it's been around quite a while.

FarNorth Mon 31-Jan-22 15:13:15

shock

midgey Mon 31-Jan-22 15:19:24

Slither is surely what snakes do! Sliver is a small piece…..or am I wrong?

ElaineI Mon 31-Jan-22 15:24:45

midgey

That's what I thought too. What exactly are you annoyed about gulligranny?

Shinamae Mon 31-Jan-22 15:25:50

midgey

You are not wrong

midgey Mon 31-Jan-22 15:28:27

Phew!

BigBertha1 Mon 31-Jan-22 16:17:26

I know puts my teeth on edge too.

Elegran Mon 31-Jan-22 16:17:57

Oldnproud

That meaning of 'slither' is listed in my 30-year-old Oxford Shorter dictionary, so it's been around quite a while.

That just means that people have been getting it wrong for over 30 years - just as they have been getting there/their/they're wrong. It is probably because it is a word that is heard more often than it is read.

Very thin leather, made by splitting through the hide, is called sliver. A thin slice of anything is a sliver. To slither is to slip and slide.

Baggs Mon 31-Jan-22 16:27:44

According to Chambers, sliver comes from the Old English word slifan to cleave.
Slither's origin is slidder from Old English slidor meaning slippery, sliderian to slip.

Baggs Mon 31-Jan-22 16:28:34

Interesting that we kept slide but changed the dd in slidder to th.

ElaineI Mon 31-Jan-22 16:31:04

Yes we slither about on the ice a lot in Scotland. I used to extract slivers from people's fingers and toes a lot as a Practice Nurse and once a big one from a bum (Ikea related)! ?

Elegran Mon 31-Jan-22 17:09:44

Baggs

Interesting that we kept slide but changed the dd in slidder to th.

It could be because the voiced dd was easier to say after the long I in slide, but the unvoiced th was easier than the dd after the short i in slidder.

An ice-cream sandwiched between wafers is known as a slider (which is probably completely irrelevant)

Oldnproud Mon 31-Jan-22 17:20:33

Elegran

Oldnproud

That just means that people have been getting it wrong for over 30 years - just as they have been getting there/their/they're wrong. It is probably because it is a word that is heard more often than it is read.

Very thin leather, made by splitting through the hide, is called sliver. A thin slice of anything is a sliver. To slither is to slip and slide.

A definition that preceded it was a smooth, slippery mass. Things that have been cut thinly frequently fit that description!

rubysong Mon 31-Jan-22 17:22:04

I think in old english 'dd' was pronounced 'th'. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
When I was a child, in Yorkshire, giving food to animals (foddering) was referred by my father as 'fothering'. I think there are other examples in Welsh, where the original English went when the Saxons invaded (I think). Welsh for police is Heddlu, I think pronounced Hethli, or close to it. Sorry, going off the Slither subject but something I find interesting.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 17:44:03

It's a word my MIL used to use a lot - "I'll just have a sliver, dear" but she would probably have been disappointed if I took her at her word! ?

I think in old english 'dd' was pronounced 'th'.
I think there are other examples in Welsh, where the original English went when the Saxons invaded (I think). Welsh for police is Heddlu

Interesting, I shall do some research rubysong

Elegran Mon 31-Jan-22 18:40:17

In Old English, th was written with the thorn symbol (þ), so there was already a letter that would be pronounced th. I am not sure, but I think dd was pronounced as dd. They are very similar when said aloud - the difference is just the placing of the tongue.

Serendipity22 Mon 31-Jan-22 18:50:46

Slither is what my husband does when driving.... Slithers along

gulligranny Thu 03-Feb-22 14:18:13

Sliver is a small slice, slither is what snakes do. Sorry I didn't make clear that the reason I shout at the radio/tv is that people say things along the lines of "Oh I'll just have a little slither of that cake".

It's nothing major, but it's sloppy.

Baggs Thu 03-Feb-22 15:27:09

Or ignorance?

Baggs Thu 03-Feb-22 15:27:26

I mean that literally not snidely.

Bellanonna Thu 03-Feb-22 17:41:25

Oddly enough I’ve never actually heard heard sliver pronounced as slither.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Feb-22 17:44:23

A sliver of glass---never a slither of glass :}