Gransnet forums

News & politics

Festival of Brexit was ‘monumental cock-up’, MPs tell culture secretary

(46 Posts)
varian Thu 08-Dec-22 18:00:39

Nobody with “the luxury of hindsight” would repeat the government’s £120m festival of Brexit project, the culture secretary Michele Donelan has admitted

It was Jacob Rees-Mogg who christened it a festival of Brexit – a moniker that might well have cursed it from the beginning.

Announced by Theresa May in the aftermath of Britain’s referendum on EU membership, and supposedly inspired by the 1851 Great Exhibition and 1951’s Festival of Britain, the then prime minister heralded a programme of events to be held this year to “showcase what makes our country great today”.

But four years on – and after two re-brandings – the public spending watchdog is to investigate what became known as Unboxed: Creativity in the UK, amid concern that visitor numbers have been less than 1% of early targets.

The National Audit Office (NAO) will examine how the £120m project was managed. About 240,000 visitors are reported to have visited events, in contrast to an early target of 66 million.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Dec-22 18:05:05

Why am I not surprised? hmm

Dinahmo Thu 08-Dec-22 18:10:13

I expect it was organised by one of the cronies.

FarNorth Thu 08-Dec-22 18:10:30

I thought it had been and gone, ages ago .

I guess that people don't feel much like celebrating Brexit or anything much, what with the way things have been since this was first suggested.

FarNorth Thu 08-Dec-22 18:12:51

66 million is the whole UK population.

That seems a bit ambitious, even allowing for tourists attending too.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Dec-22 18:14:43

I didn’t know it had happened or was happening if it has or if it is it must be a very damp squid
That money should go to the NHS and pay for a lot of what is needed

Dinahmo Thu 08-Dec-22 18:37:06

A bit like Johnson's Bridge - funded by the public and mismanaged by the Garden Bridge Trust.

The following is an excerpt from Crowd Justice about project.

" The procurement of architects and engineers was rigged to benefit a team already deep in discussion with the then-Mayor (Boris Johnson) and his officials at City Hall.

The Mayor, Deputy Mayor and lead designer had already travelled to San Francisco to seek sponsorship from Apple for a bridge design that had not even been procured yet (they didn’t get it).

Transport for London – supposedly overseeing the public investment in the project – allowed the Garden Bridge Trust to sign a £100 million construction contract for the Bridge, before the Trust had secured a full planning consent, raised all the money they needed or even acquired the necessary land. Of the £43 million loss to the taxpayer, some £20 million was paid to a builder for a project that was never built.

This extraordinary decision was approved by a single TFL official who – at that precise moment – was in his ‘notice period’ having already accepted a position at Arup, the bridge’s engineer (who received some £13 million over the course of the project). "

The original cost was estimated at £60 million but it quickly grew to nearly £200 million.

Compare this with the Millenium Bridge which cost £18.2 million plus a further £5 million to deal with the problems cause by everyone walking in step.

varian Thu 08-Dec-22 18:47:58

I can't remember who it was who pointed out that we could have saved public money if we had just given all of those people tickets to the best seats in the Vienna Opera House, airfares and all inclusive hotel costs..

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 19:12:32

Brexit was always going to be ‘work in progress’. We haven’t capitalised yet on it. A Festival as such was too early or even a silly idea. We were in the EU for 40+ years and we beeb out for what? Perhaps 40 months?

Indeed, we have so far achieved next to nothing. This is partly because the British approach was first to enshrine all EU law in British law and then to set about a detailed investigation of such laws, leading to some being substantially amended or rejected. Only now are we coming to the point where such an examination is about to take place. The Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill is still passing through Parliament!

As (and when) it is passed, there will be much to play for. The real fight for substantial Brexit benefits will then begin.

Hetty58 Thu 08-Dec-22 19:22:56

We've had the pandemic, then the war - now real concerns about the cost of living - to deal with, so Brexit seems to be in the distant past. Of course, it's quite recent and still a work in progress.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Dec-22 19:29:08

I like you um but you’re in unicorn land

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 19:47:25

Urmstongran

Brexit was always going to be ‘work in progress’. We haven’t capitalised yet on it. A Festival as such was too early or even a silly idea. We were in the EU for 40+ years and we beeb out for what? Perhaps 40 months?

Indeed, we have so far achieved next to nothing. This is partly because the British approach was first to enshrine all EU law in British law and then to set about a detailed investigation of such laws, leading to some being substantially amended or rejected. Only now are we coming to the point where such an examination is about to take place. The Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill is still passing through Parliament!

As (and when) it is passed, there will be much to play for. The real fight for substantial Brexit benefits will then begin.

Sorry Urmstongran I hope you don't take this too personally.

I don't think you are a lost cause. I think you believe what the suits from GB News etc tell you because it's on the telly or in the papers and so it must be true. Perhaps you believed what they told you about Brexit and can't bear to think it might have all been a lie? The Retained Law Act will just make things worse. What will you use as an excuse when things are still a disaster after that's done with?

It's time to let go of the lifejacket of false hope though. Brexit has been an almighty failure, and still will be in 40+ years, if we haven't gone back in.

lifejacket of false hope. I'm quite taken with that. I might use it again. 🙂

HousePlantQueen Thu 08-Dec-22 20:02:21

Urmstongran

Oh dear.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 20:17:28

Ah volver you might end up being right. Who knows?
It’s too early to tell.

As a fellow ‘independence from ...’ lover (Indyref2 for you) surely you can understand my hope and aspirations?

I don’t think I’m stupid.
I read a lot (and really NOT just the Telegraph) and I voted* according to my heart.
* some folk couldn’t even be bothered (polite word) to vote yet probably moan the most.
😊

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 20:22:56

So, where shall I start....? In order...

It's not too early to tell.

Brexit had nothing to do with independence, and the fact that you write that kinda proves the points in my previous post.

I don't think you're stupid. Just a bit too willing to believe people who offer a simple solution to complex problems.

I'm sure you voted according to your heart. Most of us vote according to our heads.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 20:23:55

Actually lifejacket of false hope was very impressive.
I just don’t happen to think (long term) it applies!
😁

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 20:26:52

Of course it’s too early to tell.
Global events have skewed the agenda.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Dec-22 20:28:11

BlueBelle

I didn’t know it had happened or was happening if it has or if it is it must be a very damp squid
That money should go to the NHS and pay for a lot of what is needed

I've never heard of it either.

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 20:40:48

Urmstongran

Of course it’s too early to tell.
Global events have skewed the agenda.

With respect Urms...

You believe "them" when they tell you all the problems could be because of something else. But it is quite possible to say, "this went wrong because of Brexit/Ukraine/whatever". To identify cause and effect.

Throwing our hands in the air and saying we have no idea what causes things to happen isn't valid. People know. It's not one of the mysteries of the age.

Anyway, I'll go and stop haranguing you now.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 20:48:27

You’re not actually haranguing me tonight volver.
I think you’re being respectful.
Thank you.

The Civil Service don’t like Brexit. Obstacles are put in the way of change like land mines. Boom!

Slowly though, changes will be made. Incremental steps will be taken towards our goal of self governing. We will, in time, look at the ECHR and that duplicitous add on by Blair that is thwarting how we would like the UK to be. A country that can not control its porous borders is a sick joke.

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 20:51:43

I'm still here 🤣🤣🤣 I'm trying to be respectful, thank you for saying that. Its REALLY hard when you say things like Incremental steps will be taken towards our goal of self governing.

You know the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU, right?

Urmstongran Thu 08-Dec-22 21:06:39

Well you’ve stopped calling me UG which obv I could never challenge as it is a short form for my name but many know I don’t like it as it makes me sound Neanderthal (which some posters liked to portray me as I think). Urms is more friendly, so thank you for that too.

I ha pcent time to address your point about the ECHR sorry.
I want to away to watch a drama with the esteemed Kate Winslet on Channel 4.

Till tomorrow.

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 21:08:35

Then I shall stop with the Ug thing. 😊

We can talk ECHR tomorrow 😉

Casdon Thu 08-Dec-22 21:59:03

If I understand the position correctly, according to the Governments website, the Bill will sunset the majority of retained EU law so that it expires on 31st December 2023. For that to happen, the Tories will need to remain in power until after that date. I can’t see that being the case myself.

MaizieD Thu 08-Dec-22 23:43:38

Casdon

If I understand the position correctly, according to the Governments website, the Bill will sunset the majority of retained EU law so that it expires on 31st December 2023. For that to happen, the Tories will need to remain in power until after that date. I can’t see that being the case myself.

I think the Lords will block it for as long as they possibly can. There are a number of fine legal minds in the Lords who know what a complete nonsense it is and how it would play havoc with UK legislation.