Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eddie Izzard not chosen to be Labour candidate for Sheffield Central.

(240 Posts)
grannydarkhair Sun 04-Dec-22 18:30:47

As title says. Abtisam Mohamed was chosen. EI accepting defeat, says he has no regrets.

twitter.com/eddieizzardlab/status/1599463078185160704?s=61&t=VLJ7khHqyeL3kPwFWLGUGw

Doodledog Sun 04-Dec-22 18:35:33

I was just going to post about that.

Hooray for common sense, is how I feel about it. I wonder how far his colonising of the Ladies had to do with his defeat?

grannydarkhair Sun 04-Dec-22 18:42:35

I think it would have done. Also, AM is a local woman, is already a senior city councillor, she is also a lawyer, and is committed to helping her fellow citizens from what I’ve read about her.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Dec-22 18:44:19

Hooray

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 18:46:00

Somebody who thinks because she is famous she should be chosen to do something rather than someone who can actually do the job.

kircubbin2000 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:52:49

Wise decision. He was only trying to get attention as his comedy career is over.

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:55:10

As you say Doodledog Hooray for common sense, if there'd been more of it, he wouldn't have been able to stand in the first place.

Mollygo Sun 04-Dec-22 19:57:48

Hooray for common sense!

MawtheMerrier Sun 04-Dec-22 19:59:33

M0nica

Somebody who thinks because she is famous she should be chosen to do something rather than someone who can actually do the job.

Who thinks he is famous …..

Granmarderby10 Sun 04-Dec-22 20:01:08

Is Eddie Izzards’ comedy career over? He acts as well

grannydarkhair Sun 04-Dec-22 20:09:00

EI came second but only just. I’m gob-smacked so many voted for him.

twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1599464088727277568?s=61&t=ruYrFjjnCtRPSI2ibdNYMA

BlueBelle Sun 04-Dec-22 21:11:05

He’s a joke and not in a nice way a man in the ladies I can’t forgive him for that

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 21:33:26

grannydarkhair

I think it would have done. Also, AM is a local woman, is already a senior city councillor, she is also a lawyer, and is committed to helping her fellow citizens from what I’ve read about her.

Well done, she sounds like the best candidate.
It's a safe seat so she will make a very good MP representing Sheffield Central.

EI only represents himself, sadly.

Glorianny Mon 05-Dec-22 09:23:35

Eddie Izzard has a track record of activism and support for the Labour Party. Hopefully she will continue to support and campaign for them. What some of the comments on this thread reveal is how biased some people are and how they can ignore not only a successful comedy and acting career but a life of activism and fundraising simply because they don't like someone's choice of gender.

Ilovecheese Mon 05-Dec-22 09:32:54

I am glad the local candidate was successful. I think parachuting in candidates after the locals have done all the leg work is very wrong. But if it had to be an outsider I would have preferred Paul Mason as he is more left wing than Izzard.

Oreo Mon 05-Dec-22 09:49:27

MawtheMerrier

M0nica

Who thinks he is famous …..

Yeah, Eddie Izzard is a man Monica unless you know different?

Oreo Mon 05-Dec-22 09:51:25

grannydarkhair

She sounds like the best candidate for the job.👍🏻

Doodledog Mon 05-Dec-22 09:52:38

No, Glorianny. I do wish you would read people's posts.

What people can't ignore is that he insisted on using the Ladies', knowing full well that it was inconveniencing others. He took 'minders' in with him for goodness' sake! Everyone knows he is male, so if he'd used the Gents it would have come as no surprise to whoever was using the next urinal - this is not the same as a shy and nervous transwomen terrified of being 'outed'. Izzard has made much capital (and no doubt money) of his so-called 'gender fluidity', and it is no secret. Using the Ladies' in those circumstances is as arrogant as when he shouted at the teenage girls in a public lavatory some time ago.

Doodledog Mon 05-Dec-22 09:53:58

Also, his track record as an activist is relevant, as is his fundraising for charity, but I have no idea what being a comedian (successful or otherwise) brings to a career in politics, so if that is being ignored I'm not surprised.

Hetty58 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:56:15

Doodledog, isn't it in the job description, then? Boris struck me as a clown from the outset.

tickingbird Mon 05-Dec-22 09:57:09

I chorus what others have said - hooray for common sense.

Doodledog Mon 05-Dec-22 09:57:12

Hetty58

Doodledog, isn't it in the job description, then? Boris struck me as a clown from the outset.

Good point, well made grin

Oldwoman70 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:01:40

Sounds as if the correct choice was made. I have nothing against EI but I do object when candidates are parachuted into a constituency when there is a someone who, as in this case, knows the area and has already represented the local people.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Dec-22 10:02:43

Eddie izzard is a man Glorianna
I support anyone who has genuinely changed as it takes a lot of guts pain and time Eddie Izzard is a cross dresser who likes to flit from male to female…. at the moment he’s in the female camp give it time and he ll be back in the male camp
I admire anyone who does tireless work for charity or a cause but I do not admire his nauseating cry that he’s a woman….
when he gets his bits chopped off I ll support him and then and only then can he use the ladies toilet

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:04:04

Glorianny

Eddie Izzard has a track record of activism and support for the Labour Party. Hopefully she will continue to support and campaign for them. What some of the comments on this thread reveal is how biased some people are and how they can ignore not only a successful comedy and acting career but a life of activism and fundraising simply because they don't like someone's choice of gender.

Well I didn't know he was a Labour activist.

And yes, I did know about his fundraising, having seen him doing the marathons so well done Eddie for all the charity work you've done.

But the best candidate won.