Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nurses responsible for appeasing Putin

(40 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 04-Dec-22 12:25:24

Nadhim Zahawi has claimed nurses need to drop pay demands to help the UK present a united front against the Ukrainian war.

I know I'm not a Tory but... what lunacy will those plonkers come up with next?

GagaJo Sun 04-Dec-22 12:27:04

uk.yahoo.com/news/nurses-must-drop-pay-demands-092203075.html

Barmeyoldbat Sun 04-Dec-22 12:30:44

Blame anything or anybody but themselves

ronib Sun 04-Dec-22 21:44:36

Outrageous. Why is this country involved in this war if it cannot operate key services for the people living here? It chooses to fund Ukraine and not the Nhs?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Dec-22 06:56:43

Apparently Putin has agreed to withdraw from Ukraine if the nurses take a 4% pay rise/pay cut.

😄😄😄😄

Who knew it was so easy to end a war?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Dec-22 07:26:56

I am also relieved to know that heating horse stables at tax payers expense has no effect on the war in Ukraine.

Wyllow3 Mon 05-Dec-22 07:48:37

Nadhim Zahawi isn't short of a bob or two.

"Nadhim Zahawi has an estimated net worth of up to £100m. His wife and their companies reportedly have a huge property portfolio, including a £20m London townhouse, an industrial estate and a country house with stables.

When he became a minister he quit as a director of their firm, and transferred his 50 per cent shares to his wife."

it never seems to occur to them to dip into their own pockets, does it?

Allsorts Mon 05-Dec-22 07:53:50

Horrible posts, aimed at us supporting Ukraine, they were invaded, blame Putin. When you drink your hot cup of tea and eat a meal, think of those, no heat, bombings, no food and no bed to sleep in. They are a brave and hardworking nation. No I'm not Ukraine but English through and through but I do possess compassion. No one earns enough, not just the nurses, postal workers and rail staff, but they can't strike and most on on much lower pay.

ronib Mon 05-Dec-22 09:48:58

Allsorts

Horrible posts, aimed at us supporting Ukraine, they were invaded, blame Putin. When you drink your hot cup of tea and eat a meal, think of those, no heat, bombings, no food and no bed to sleep in. They are a brave and hardworking nation. No I'm not Ukraine but English through and through but I do possess compassion. No one earns enough, not just the nurses, postal workers and rail staff, but they can't strike and most on on much lower pay.

There’s a report that a Ukrainian couple plan to return home because they can’t afford to live here.
I have compassion for young families here struggling to buy a decent house and find affordable childcare. Also I understand that quite a few of our young medics trained here are now working in Australia at much better pay plus working conditions.
And do we remember how we become so entangled in the affairs of Ukraine at the outset? Why of course led by one Boris Johnson!

Hetty58 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:53:48

How will we solve the shortage of nurses then? Who, in their right mind, will be attracted to train for the job?

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 09:59:37

ronib, whatever else I may think of Boris - mostly unprintable - I’m glad that he was quick to support Ukraine on our behalf.

Oreo Mon 05-Dec-22 10:03:06

Awful and wrong thread heading Gagjo
You would get more responses if you asked the mods to change it.

Grantanow Mon 05-Dec-22 10:09:32

Utter twaddle from the Tory motormouth.

MaizieD Mon 05-Dec-22 10:18:06

Thread heading is absolutely fine, GagaJo.

It illustrates the level of tory mendacity and idiocy that we have to put up with.

There is absolutely no sound economic reason why we can't pay our workers properly and support Ukraine.

It's actually a rather rich statement coming from a former minister in a government run by a party that has thrived on donations from Russian oligarchs, ennobled the son of a KGB spy, covered up the extent of Russian interference in the 2016 referendum and gave the oligarchs enough warning of sanctions after the Russian invasion of Ukraine for them to remove as many of their assets as they could from the UK.

👿

Luckygirl3 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:21:09

Well he can go forth and multiply!

Elegran Mon 05-Dec-22 10:23:33

Rubbish. The Uk paying their nurses enough (or not) doesn't bother Putin. He would laugh at the thought, he does what he can get away with doing

I wonder how his health is now, incidentally? Is he well enough recovered to stop feeling that he has only a limited time to get in all his conquering and empire building?

Kalu Mon 05-Dec-22 10:24:57

He would soon change his tune if he worked on the wards for a month without his wealth to fall back on. The man is all mouth and no trousers. 😡

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:36:39

Kalu

He would soon change his tune if he worked on the wards for a month without his wealth to fall back on. The man is all mouth and no trousers. 😡

👏👏👏

I'm (nearly) speechless

Or send him to the front line in Ukraine.

ronib Mon 05-Dec-22 10:39:35

Kalu

Zahawi could benefit from work experience for two weeks in a local hospital.

biglouis Mon 05-Dec-22 10:41:44

Why is this country involved in this war if it cannot operate key services for the people living here? It chooses to fund Ukraine and not the Nhs

Agree100% Far too much of my tax money going into a bl***y black hole when there are people nearer home who need help. We should wish them well and pull out.

Kalu Mon 05-Dec-22 10:41:56

Callistemon21

Kalu

👏👏👏

I'm (nearly) speechless

Or send him to the front line in Ukraine.

That too Calli. He is a bl**dy hypocrite.

Cold Mon 05-Dec-22 10:43:38

MaizieD

Thread heading is absolutely fine, GagaJo.

It illustrates the level of tory mendacity and idiocy that we have to put up with.

There is absolutely no sound economic reason why we can't pay our workers properly and support Ukraine.

It's actually a rather rich statement coming from a former minister in a government run by a party that has thrived on donations from Russian oligarchs, ennobled the son of a KGB spy, covered up the extent of Russian interference in the 2016 referendum and gave the oligarchs enough warning of sanctions after the Russian invasion of Ukraine for them to remove as many of their assets as they could from the UK.

👿

I agree with this

Especially as the Tories were selling British Citizenship to wealthy Putin-crony oligarchs a few years ago on the much derided Golden Visa scheme on the basis they were "investors" rather than the reality of being money launders

varian Mon 05-Dec-22 10:50:25

The nurses are not responsible for "appeasing Putin"

No group of British workers are or ever have been responsible for "appeasing Putin"

However the lying Leave campaigners were responsible for appeasing Putin. Putin backed brexit and there is no doubt that Russia's interference in our politics has helped create the mess we're in, which of course Leavers like Zahawi will never acknowledge.

varian Mon 05-Dec-22 10:52:43

It is ludicrous and insulting to suggest Vladimir Putin is responsible for nurses going on strike.

Conservatives wasted billions of taxpayers' money on dodgy PPE contracts and now are refusing to offer a fair pay rise to nurses.

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1599448996896215041?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Dinahmo Mon 05-Dec-22 13:57:53

Witzend

*ronib*, whatever else I may think of Boris - mostly unprintable - I’m glad that he was quick to support Ukraine on our behalf.

He was just trying to grab headlines by being the first to visit. But he wasn't.

PMs from Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic went on 15 March and the Presidents of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland went on 13 April. Johnson squeezed in on 9 April.