Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ian Blackford steps down as SNP leader at Westminster. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

(54 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 11:48:48

Wonder why?

Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 11:58:25

Oh.
“While I am stepping down as Westminster leader, I will continue in my role as the MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber, and I have also accepted a new role at the centre of the SNP's independence campaign, leading on business engagement.”

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Dec-22 12:07:00

Because he's tired of being treated badly by those in power? He's done it for five years and is getting older so wants to focus on his constituents? Or someone has said, time to go? Mhairi Black would be good at the job I think.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 12:13:37

Didn’t Boris say to him once at PMQ’s “you might be gone from here before me”?

Joanna Cherry doesn’t want the SNP ‘interfering’ with the selection process. She’d be good at it I think.

There’s more to this than meets the eye perhaps.

Ilovecheese Thu 01-Dec-22 12:17:51

I am very sorry to hear this. he holds the Government to account, sounding like he means it.

kittylester Thu 01-Dec-22 12:19:08

I thought that there was talk of an anti Ian Blackford campaign.

Oldbat1 Thu 01-Dec-22 12:23:18

I really like him so I’m really sad to see him go. It is such a commitment travel wise alone.

Kalu Thu 01-Dec-22 12:28:26

Joanna Cherry would get my vote.

MaizieD Thu 01-Dec-22 12:31:02

He's only stepping down as leader.

He's not going anywhere. He'll still be an MP. He'll still be seen in Parliament, just not quite as often as now.

Oreo Thu 01-Dec-22 14:14:01

I thought it had something to do with a scandal hit politician that he had supported?

paddyann54 Thu 01-Dec-22 14:28:20

Phillipa Whitford,Joanna Cherry ,Stewart Hosie ,Mhairi Black and lots of others are worthy of the job,I'd guess Ian is fed up of being told to "f off to Skye" or" F off home " about expenses or being a "rich crofter " by folk who have no idea of a crofting lifestyle .
He has been a credit to us ,hopefully there will be a permanent job in an Independent Holyrood for him very very soon

Parsley3 Thu 01-Dec-22 14:50:02

I would like Joanna Cherry to get this job. She speaks with authority. I hope that Kirsten Oswald, the Deputy Westminster Leader is not being considered as she doesn't impress me at all. I did hear a few weeks ago that Ian Blackford's waistcoat was on a shoogly peg so I welcome a change.

grandMattie Thu 01-Dec-22 14:51:51

Hmmm.

kittylester Thu 01-Dec-22 14:53:21

But, paddyanne, I thought he was rich - maybe not from crofting but nevertheless.

Bodach Thu 01-Dec-22 15:09:50

SNP MPs Stephen Flynn, Brendan O'Hara, Alyn Smith and Stewart McDonald have had the sgian dubhs out for him for a while, I understand...

Parsley3 Thu 01-Dec-22 15:29:19

I did wonder if Alyn Smith had something to with this. He was an MEP who was parachuted into my constituency to stand as MP. He may well have some authority within the ranks.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 15:57:15

Grab the popcorn, one can guess there is going to be more to this...

Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 16:02:32

From the Telegraph just now:

“Mr Blackford faced further criticism after a leaked recording of an SNP group meeting emerged in which he urged his colleagues to "rally around" Patrick Grady.

Mr Grady, the SNP's former chief whip, was found guilty by the Commons authorities of sexually harassing a young member of staff.

Earlier this month it was reported that Mr Flynn had the required backing to oust Mr Blackford and had told Ian McCann, the party’s compliance officer, that he would put his name forward at the AGM.

'Anyone but Blackford'

One source said that "a lot" of SNP MPs "would be happy with "ABB: Anyone But Blackford."

It is understood that party headquarters persuaded Mr Flynn to back down, shortly before the leader was due to appear on the BBC's Question Time programme.

Joanna Cherry, the SNP's Edinburgh South West MP, welcomed Mr Blackford's resignation, saying: "I’m pleased to hear this. It’s time for fresh leadership & tolerance of debate & diverse viewpoints.

"I hope the SNP Westminster group will be now be left to choose our new leader without outside interference & in accordance with our standing orders."

'Total humiliation for Nicola Sturgeon'

Craig Hoy, the Scottish Tory chairman, said: "Ian Blackford has jumped before he was pushed. His resignation is a total humiliation for Nicola Sturgeon.

"She shamefully stood by her Westminster leader earlier this year despite his appalling handling of the complaints made against Patrick Grady.

"This showed a total lack of judgement by Nicola Sturgeon.”

Gossip if that he’s jumped before he was pushed.
Let’s see what unfolds in the next few days.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 01-Dec-22 16:04:08

Joanna Cherry wants Nicola's job, but she has many, many enemies in the party, and she hasn't made it any easier for herself by being a cheerleader for Alex Salmond in the last couple of years.

paddyann54 Thu 01-Dec-22 16:12:31

its petty nonsense Urm pit it aganst the mess the tories are in by their own (lack of) competence and theh WM SNP MP's look like saints in comparison.
As to Grady ...WELL Teresa May LOST a list of dozens of her MP's who were being investigated for sexual offences ,what did you have to say about that little debacle ?

Urmstongran Thu 01-Dec-22 16:17:23

I don’t think Ian Blackford would stand down for no reason.
He’s given one.
But it seems that there IS an alternative viewpoint.
It’ll all come out in the wash.
It always does!

varian Thu 01-Dec-22 19:22:08

Ian Blackford tries to pass himself off as a crofter. He is in fact a very wealthy banker from Edinburgh where he was educated at a posh private school.

His far more illustrious predecessor as MP for Skye and Lochaber, the late Charles Kennedy. was actually brought up there on a croft

volver Thu 01-Dec-22 19:36:55

Blackford went to Edinburgh High, which is not a private school.

Can't be bothered checking the rest.

Today's fun fact. Ronnie Corbett went to the same school.

Oreo Thu 01-Dec-22 19:39:01

I always liked Charles Kennedy Varian and felt sorry for him later on.

volver Thu 01-Dec-22 20:02:05

Joanna Cherry doesn’t want the SNP ‘interfering’ with the selection process.

Joanna is an SNP member confused. The requirement is to find a new leader for the SNP in Westminster. And Joanna doesn't want the SNP to interfere?

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick Urmstongran.