Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rees-Mogg = US far-right anti abortionist. 'Cult of death'

(35 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 29-Nov-22 18:55:02

Jacob Rees-Mogg Says Abortion Rights Are A 'Cult Of Death'

Jacob Rees-Mogg has said abortion is a “cult of death” and would not agree the right should be protected in the case of rape or incest.

Speaking in parliament on Monday, the former cabinet minister said the number of abortions was a “modern tragedy”.

It came as MPs were debating a petition which has called for abortion rights to be included in the government’s new UK Bill of Rights.

Rees-Mogg said this was not necessary as there was no majority in parliament to change the law as it currently stands.

But he said his view was life began at the point of conception where there was “a new genetic entity”.

Asked by Labour MP Stella Creasy if he would support the right of women to choose to have an abortion were they a victim of rape or incest, he did not say yes.

Rees-Mogg said: “I think the destruction of life is wrong.

“I do not believe that we should say that a new life should be destroyed. I do not believe that that is the right of the state.

“This is about destroying life. This is the cult of death. It is the great tragedy of abortion, and it is considered normal.

“The extraordinarily high number of babies that are destroyed is something that should sadden us all to the depths of our souls.”

Rejecting the petition’s argument, Rees-Mogg said it was both “wrong constitutionally” and “much more wrong morally” because it “prefers death to life”.

Speaking after the debate, Creasy said: “If you think we don’t need to codify in law that women have a human right to choose to have an abortion, Jacob Rees-Mogg just argued against women who are victims of rape or incest having a right to have one.

“Women deserve equal rights. Whoever is in government.”

The petition – which has had 167,065 signatures – asked the government to include abortion rights in the legislation in the wake of the United States Supreme Court overturning ‘Roe vs. Wade’.

“Abortion rights are healthcare rights; not just for individuals who do not wish to be pregnant, but also for those who do,” the petition says.

“For ectopic pregnancies, to finish a natural miscarriage, or if mother or foetus’ life is at high risk. There are a multitude of other reasons to seek an abortion and this should be protected as a right to choose.”

SueDonim Tue 29-Nov-22 18:57:22

Presumably he doesn’t mind pregnant women possibly dying instead? hmm

Oreo Tue 29-Nov-22 19:29:08

No need for a petition, there are laws in place already, women are free to choose here.
I have no time for Moggy but his beliefs are his own and as he’s a Roman Catholic it’s how I’d expect him to feel.
Abortion is sad for whatever reasons are chosen for it, even the good ones.It’s not something most women will do on a whim, they will feel upset by it.

VioletSky Tue 29-Nov-22 19:30:16

No

Destruction of life is forcing a woman with health complications to carry a baby to term.

Destruction of life is forcing children to be born into poverty in a country that won't give financial aid above two babies.

Destruction of life is young people becoming parents before they are ready and losing access to life experiences or education.

Destruction of life is forcing people who do not want children to have them.

Destruction of life is children being born to parents who do not want them and either neglect or abuse them.

Destruction of life is taking away a woman's right to choose what happens to her own body.

Destruction of life is women forced to raise children alone while fathers walk
away

Contraception fails.

Contraception falls primarily on a woman's shoulders. Forcing them to put up with side effects that can even include increased risk of cancer and death.

100% of all pregnancies are the fault of men and their irresponsible ejaculations when using a condom is the best Contraception and can be used even when a woman is on the pill.

So sorry to this man but if he can't take his share of the blame for his irresponsible ejaculations... then he shouldn't be allowed near a woman at all.

Zoejory Tue 29-Nov-22 19:45:34

Irresponsible Ejaculations sounds like the name of a band.

What are responsible ejaculations?

Oreo Tue 29-Nov-22 19:45:46

Eh?
They have a big family by choice.

Oreo Tue 29-Nov-22 19:46:45

Zoejory you’re right there, a punk band?🤪

Ziplok Tue 29-Nov-22 19:56:15

He’s a pathetic specimen, catholic or not. Enough said.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:56:25

I am not in favour of abortion as contraception, but I totally accept that is the female’s right wether or not to continue with a pregnancy.

grannydarkhair Tue 29-Nov-22 19:57:42

I wonder if he’d feel the same if a woman he loved was raped and impregnated? This odious man lives a life so far removed from the majority of the people of the UK, it’s as if was on another planet.

GagaJo Tue 29-Nov-22 20:03:22

Zoejory

Irresponsible Ejaculations sounds like the name of a band.

What are responsible ejaculations?

Hahahaha. Up there and alongside Pussy Riot.

VioletSky Tue 29-Nov-22 20:58:45

It will have to be a trumpet band because men can all blow their own if they think UK women would stand for that

Joane123 Tue 29-Nov-22 22:26:37

What an odious man!

Shelflife Tue 29-Nov-22 22:36:08

He is detached from reality it is bizarre!! How would he feel if his daughter was pregnant due to rape. Surely he would sing a different tune then !?

Casdon Tue 29-Nov-22 22:41:00

He probably makes his daughter wear a chastity belt. Poor girl, I feel sorry for her.

25Avalon Tue 29-Nov-22 22:43:18

I think this has been a bit misrepresented. Ok Rees Morgan did say all of those things being a devout RC with 7 kids but if you read in full, he said the right to Abortion was covered by the Abortion Act already in force so it didn’t need to be in the new Bill of Rights. He wasn’t actually denying women the right but was very forthright in his anti abortion views.

25Avalon Tue 29-Nov-22 22:43:50

Mogg not Morgan

biglouis Tue 29-Nov-22 22:52:22

While half of humanity are condemned to bear in pain and suffering the children of all humanity no male deserves a say in whether a pregnancy should continue.

Wyllow3 Tue 29-Nov-22 22:52:47

Frankly, with whats happening in the USA, I think we as women need that protection. He is a dangerous and bigoted man.

another who thinks that if it were his daughter who had been raped, "Arrangements would be made".

Grantanow Wed 30-Nov-22 08:35:58

Another bigot. Thank God we are not a backward Catholic country.

JaneJudge Wed 30-Nov-22 08:40:12

He is dangerous angry

Glorianny Wed 30-Nov-22 08:53:57

Who on earth voted for this man? His views are not acceptable to women. This is interesting -in 1920s 15% of deaths in women were through illegal abortion
abortionrights.org.uk/history-of-abortion-law-in-the-uk/
What JRM wants is for women to die just so he can feel the law is morally acceptable. The law doesn't cause abortions it simply makes them safer.

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 10:33:15

25Avalon

I think this has been a bit misrepresented. Ok Rees Morgan did say all of those things being a devout RC with 7 kids but if you read in full, he said the right to Abortion was covered by the Abortion Act already in force so it didn’t need to be in the new Bill of Rights. He wasn’t actually denying women the right but was very forthright in his anti abortion views.

Yeah, but this thread is really to have a go at him🤣 and not to consider the facts of the matter.
I agree with you.

25Avalon Wed 30-Nov-22 10:41:45

Quite so Oreo.

Chestnut Wed 30-Nov-22 10:48:23

I agree too Oreo.