Gransnet forums

News & politics

ULEZ!! Expansion

(27 Posts)
tanith Fri 25-Nov-22 18:53:51

Any other London Grans or Grandads going to be affected next year when expansion happens?
I can’t see any alternative than scraping mine or part-exchange for next to nothing.
Yes I know it’s good for the environment but doesn’t make it easy.

MawtheMerrier Fri 25-Nov-22 19:08:21

Both London daughters live inside the present zone anyway so I checked and my car is OK.
How much would it cost you per visit? Certainly not worth scrapping unless your car is on its last legs already.
On the plus side, it’s our grandchildren who are walking to school or nursery who will benefit if the air is cleaner and we wouldn’t argue with that!

MawtheMerrier Fri 25-Nov-22 20:01:18

Oops! Realised you were including Grans who live in London as opposed to those like me who visit.

tanith Fri 25-Nov-22 20:03:54

I live inside the new zone and its £12.50 if I leave the driveway!

maddyone Fri 25-Nov-22 20:05:15

My son moved out of London to Surrey three years ago, so no one in the family to be affected now.

maddyone Fri 25-Nov-22 20:05:46

So we no longer even visit.

Hetty58 Fri 25-Nov-22 20:11:04

I'm all in favour of 'cleaner' air in future - it needed doing!

welbeck Fri 25-Nov-22 20:15:36

tanith

I live inside the new zone and its £12.50 if I leave the driveway!

have you checked your reg number on the tfl website.
i used to drive a car over 20 years old which surprisingly was compliant.
most 10 year olds will be.

welbeck Fri 25-Nov-22 20:20:11

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 20:33:51

Bristol is introducing Clean Air Zone charges.

What they need to do is improve public transport.

tanith Fri 25-Nov-22 20:51:38

I already knew my car would be non-compliant.

cornergran Fri 25-Nov-22 21:09:15

I’m sorry you have this worry, tanith , while understanding the need for cleaner air it puts people like you in an impossible position no matter which city. There’s no easy answer here that’s fair to everyone.

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Nov-22 21:23:16

My head is in the sand and I keep hoping and thinking that it will never happen.

I looked at the price of second hand cars recently and I was shocked to see how expensive a little run-a-round now costs.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 21:31:24

Charleygirl5 Now that new car availability is increasing, the price of secondhand cars is expected to fall back over the next two years.

No help to DD or me. We both had to change our cars (mine was written off in an accident) while the new car crisis was at its height.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 21:38:34

What is the problem? I have just bought a 9 year old car. It is ULEZ compliant.

tanith Fri 25-Nov-22 22:37:34

The problem is my car isn’t compliant and as Charleygirl says even a run a round that is compliant is going to cost an arm and a leg that a lot of people just can’t afford.

Niobe Sat 26-Nov-22 03:02:13

I will be inside the new ULEZ zone and I’m very much in favour of it being extended. I’m glad Sadiq is introducing it before his time as Mayor comes to an end.

M0nica Sat 26-Nov-22 06:51:20

tanith, can you not sell your current car and buy a similar aged car that is compliant for not a lot more than you get for the sale of your current car?

tanith Sat 26-Nov-22 07:44:28

I will see if I can part-ex it but there are going to be thousands of others doing the same thing I’m sure.

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Nov-22 09:19:27

tanith you may get a better deal by selling your present car to one of those online companies who offer you a decent price and then having done your homework before you get rid of your present car, go and buy it if it is affordable.

tanith Sat 26-Nov-22 10:28:50

Charleygirl5 it may come to that! I was going to let one of my GSs have it but as he lives in the zone too he’s not going to want it. I think I’m going to wait till it’s next MOT is due then decide.

MawtheMerrier Sat 26-Nov-22 11:10:01

It may not be much comfort Tanith but with ULEZ s springing up all over the country, even if one is “spared” at home, driving to other cities will increasingly incur a charge. I wish it could somehow decrease the vast numbers of lorries and vans though. The difference between, say, Saturday afternoon driving and any weekday is appalling.
This country missed the boat (to mix my metaphors) by not developing an efficient rail freight system.

Dinahmo Sat 26-Nov-22 12:18:56

Vehicle exhaust is responsible for breathing problems for many children, particularly young ones who are in push chairs which are at the right level to inhale the exhaust, particularly from cars in traffics and waiting at traffic lights etc etc.

M0nica Sat 26-Nov-22 13:00:21

The only justification for electric cars is their use in congested towns and cities, where petrol and diesel vehicles cause severely polluted air, which kills people.

The electricity they use is mainly generated by gas and it is better, that the emissions that causes happens along way from cities and close to country dwellers like me. I am on the Local Liaison Committee representing a countryside group at our local gas fired power station.

welbeck Sat 26-Nov-22 16:25:15

non-compliant cars will be almost worthless, only for scrappage.
who would want to buy one to drive ?