Gransnet forums

Menopause

Mirena coil for lining of womb

(12 Posts)
Lilacrose Sat 05-Nov-22 13:56:04

Hello ladies I am 56 and post menopausal for 5 years .I have been under Gynae for a simple cyst 5cms on my ovaries and they discovered I had thick womb lining.They found a polyp and I had it removed and had to have scans and Hysteroscopy every 6 months ,they recommended progesterone (provera) so I took that and had a bad time,it caused me to be so low I wanted to end it all .I stopped taking it I have gone on Sertraline and have my life and marriage back .However I have just had another polyp removed and they suggest a mirena again which I do not want as I have read very negative things and I do not want to go back to a dark place again neither do I want womb cancer which my gynae said I would get if I don’t have it .Help ! They have told me to loose weight which is easier said than done when I feel like this .Can any ladies please give me advice or experiences re the mirena coil ? I have not had heavy bleeding since my menstrual cycle just the odd spots which were the polyps .Thankyou ladies x

Esspee Sat 05-Nov-22 15:22:29

If your ovaries are giving so much trouble hasn’t anyone suggested removing them and performing a hysterectomy? There would then be no chance of you getting ovarian, uterine or cervical cancer and you could take oestrogen only HRT and come off of anti depressants.
The oestrogen would protect your heart, stop you from suffering from osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, prolapse, incontinence, premature aging, hot flushes, night sweats etc., etc.
Clearly your doctor would have to ascertain whether oestrogen replacement therapy is suitable for you but I can think of no reason for holding onto useless organs which are affecting your health.

PernillaVanilla Sat 05-Nov-22 15:51:42

I’m 66 and have a Mirena Coil and oestrogen as HRT. I feel really well. I had a polyp removed and had a uterine lining a little bit thicker than recommended. Did you have a Mirena before? Receiving the progesterone this way might not be as problematic as other routes.

nanaK54 Sat 05-Nov-22 16:51:33

I had a Mirena coil for years for contraception and it was a complete success for me, no periods was such a blessing

Redhead56 Sat 05-Nov-22 21:27:18

I had very difficult heavy periods I had polyps removed on several occasions. I know I have fibroids but they were left. It was suggested I had Mirena coil fitted I agreed as I didn't want a hysterectomy.
Straight away in the hospital grounds I felt ill and couldn't not drive my car. The coil was rejected the doctor who fitted the coil said to return a month later. I did and had a coil fitted again I felt ill for two days really sickly. The coil was rejected again I was told I had a sensitive cervix. Needless to say I didn't get another coil fitted.
Everyone's experience is different and you only know if one is suitable for you if you try it. Mine was very unpleasant so I can only talk about my experience.

Ali23 Sat 05-Nov-22 21:35:41

I had a mirena coil to help me to manage endometriosis. It was a godsend. Like you i had tried oral medications at an earlier date and they made me feel terrible. I would go for it.

Lilacrose Sat 05-Nov-22 22:55:58

I cannot have a hysterectomy I have asked

yggdrasil Sun 06-Nov-22 08:19:23

ask again, a different consultant

Esspee Sun 06-Nov-22 11:05:05

Lilacrose

I cannot have a hysterectomy I have asked

Did they give a reason? Maybe have a look to see what NHS best practice is. There must be NICE guidelines on your situation.
Seems to me that it would cost far less to have all the redundant body bits removed rather than all the procedures you need to have. You could ask for a second opinion as sometimes doctors can be prejudiced in their views. If you educate yourself so you can fight your corner you stand a better chance of getting what you need.
Of course I am assuming you are like me and would be delighted to get rid of potentially dangerous body parts in one go, especially as you are already post menopausal.
Whatever your views I hope you get what you want.

scentofawoman Wed 16-Nov-22 10:03:50

Hi I'm nearly 60 and after trying many different types of hrt with not much success,! Lots of unwanted bleeding then I was told my uterus lining was thickening so only option left was possibly marina coil I was very reluctant but decided to give it a go.
Wow I'm so glad I did! Without sounding too dramatic it really has and is amazing! I use a 50 evorel patch twice weekly and feel so much better...no bleeding no moods sleeping better total game changer.....but be warned it can take a few weeks to settle my anxiety got really bad in first 2weeks and I wanted it out!! But hubs said try and give it a couple more weeks.....sos so glad I did will keep it forever if I can feel this good. X

Dazy Wed 17-Jan-24 18:40:47

scentofawoman did you get bloated with mirena or have constipation at all or volatile moods ? Your experience does sound good 👍

scentofawoman Mon 22-Jan-24 20:26:54

Hi Dazy no bloating at all in fact my tummy is much flatter!
I did have anxiety and low mood for first few months but I'm not good with progesterone however when it settled down it's great .... highly recommend.