Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT

(4 Posts)
HazelEyes Tue 20-Sep-22 22:52:39

I always felt that I had sailed through the menopause. No hot flushes or night sweats.
Vaginal atrophy could be the cause for my recent UTIs and I have recently been put on Ovestin. I have started researching and it really seems this may help. I now realise the benefits of HRT and the recent changes in advice. I really did not consider HRT because I did not suffer (until my post menopausal problems). I'm now considering asking to be prescribed with HRT (patch?) to prevent other ageing problems such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis etc. I do get brain fog and low energy. I'm 59 and would welcome any advice.

Esspee Wed 21-Sep-22 09:21:23

It depends how long has passed since your menopause HazelEyes.

Generally the cut off for offering HRT is 10 years after your last period. Read the NICE guidelines on the menopause to bring you up to date on the NHS best practice guidelines for doctors.

I often mention on here that the early problems related to the reduced production of oestrogen e.g. hot flushes, night sweats and brain fog are nothing compared with the disastrous long term effects which are sadly still a taboo subject. It is so sad that most women do not realise that the medical (and social) issues that plague the latter years of so many women are directly related to oestrogen deprivation.

We happily supplement the hormone insulin for diabetics and the hormone insulin for under active thyroids yet supplementing oestrogen is looked on as something to be avoided as it is “natural” to go through menopause so we should grit our teeth and get on with it.

It was also natural to die after childbearing age. Now we can live one third of our lives after our bodies run out of this essential hormone and without it the quality of life deteriorates.

Osteoporosis, arthritis, prolapse, incontinence, vaginal atrophy, Alzheimer’s etc all have a causal link with lack of oestrogen. Add in loss of libido and ageing and you can see why the better educated are now refusing to put up with deterioration which can be prevented.

There are many ways of taking oestrogen. The most common these days are gels and patches. Oral medication in the form of pills has risks as the dosage has to be very high to survive the first pass through the liver.

Your doctor should be able to advise you but if you wish to see an expert ask to be referred to a menopause clinic.

Good luck.

luluaugust Wed 21-Sep-22 09:44:56

If the main problem is the vaginal atrophy you could ask for Vagifem or a similar product. This can be prescribed well into old age.

Esspee Wed 21-Sep-22 13:11:41

Yes indeed luluaugust. Unfortunately it is like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.
Far better to not have any of the problems due to oestrogen deficiency by taking HRT.