Gransnet forums

Menopause

National Ovestin Cream Shortage

(9 Posts)
Floz Fri 10-Jun-22 13:48:25

I get ovestin on prescription, due to ovaries removed and subsequent urinary tract problems/prolapses ☹️.
Every pharmacy is telling me there’s none available in the UK at the moment. Its very easy to buy online however (Superdrug and other reputable online pharmacies) at £25 for a tube. Im wondering if there is actually a shortage or just none left for the NHS? I’m in North Yorkshire - has anyone anywhere else in the UK had the same problem?

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Jun-22 14:38:21

Hello Floz
I get mine from Boots (online).
Well, I did.
They haven’t had any for several months.
Are you sure that it’s actually ‘in stock’? Boots are still listing the gel, but it’s not in stock.
I’m on patches instead now.
I heard the other day that the situation is so bad that the government has an HRT Tsar.

Floz Fri 10-Jun-22 15:04:15

Hi FannyCornforth, I only need the cream. Boots told me today ‘no one can get ovestin cream’, as did the pharmacy where I usually get my prescription. However I’ve managed to buy a tube from Superdrug (£25) . Two weeks ago I managed to buy some from an online pharmacy (it arrived within 2 days and it’s definitely the real thing). I can’t understand why, if you’re prepared to fork out £25 it seems to be readily available.

Sago Fri 10-Jun-22 16:10:10

I have mine on prescription no bother, it’s under the name estoril.

Fennel Fri 10-Jun-22 16:47:07

Speak to your GP or pharmacist to suggest an alternative.you'll probably need a new prescription.
I wonder if the problem is connected to Brexit and the EU drugs agency? A lot of our drugs are made in Europe so if they have a problem with supply. we will too.

TillyTrotter Fri 10-Jun-22 16:54:51

Hi Floz, that sounds preposterous - hand over £25 and you can have some, but put same item on an NHS prescription and you can’t.
I will PM you,

Floz Fri 10-Jun-22 18:01:34

Thanks, Ladies, for all your suggestions - I’m very suspicious that it’s available if you are willing to cough up £25! I was told that it’s in short supply due to the sudden demand for HRT in general. They simply didn’t plan and produce enough. ?

MrsKen33 Fri 10-Jun-22 19:23:41

I get mine on prescription. No problem last week at the local pharmacy.

Floz Fri 10-Jun-22 19:43:19

Seems like it’s a problem in North Yorkshire then. Maybe too many women on HRT up here!