Gransnet forums

Menopause

The facts and science of HRT

(2 Posts)
DaisyAnne Wed 04-May-22 09:43:50

I wonder if we could bring together quotes or references to scientific work so we can get a clear view of where HRT stands today, as well as (on another thread) what happened in the past.

The Women’s Health Initiative Studies (WHI), which came out in 2002 did so much damage. I was 52 at the time and had been using HRT for a couple of years. I came off it as quickly as I could. This report affected the takeup of HRT for years.

Much more research has been carried out since but there are still misunderstandings about the whole area. As far as I can see you can go onto HRT at any point (a discussion I will have with my doctor as soon as I can get an appointment) and stay on it for life. It also seems that they are looking at a more personalised dosage although this is still in the research stage. It would mean that, just as I have an annual blood test (more frequent at the beginning) by which my thyroxine dose is reviewed and, where necessary, altered, we may get to the point where this is done with HRT.

So ... help! Can anyone add from articles and journals? It would be really good to have some information before the trip to the doctors smile

DaisyAnne Wed 04-May-22 09:45:40

Just to start us off, I put this on the other thread but it is relevant here too.

I was listening to a talk yesterday where the experts were saying there is some evidence that has made the researchers "causiously optomistic" that it works against getting Alzheimer's.

"This is not the first study on the impact of hormone therapies on neurodegenerative disease reduction," study senior author Roberta Diaz Brinton, director of the University of Arizona Center for Innovation in Brain Science, said in a university news release. "But what is important about this study is that it advances the use of precision hormone therapies in the prevention of neurodegenerative disease, including Alzheimer's."