Gransnet forums

Menopause

Will HRT help with vulval dermatitis?

(4 Posts)
Monique66 Wed 16-Mar-22 14:29:23

I have suffered for years (since around the start of my menopause) with dry, sore and itchy split skin around my vulva. It has been diagnosed as dermatitis and I use emollients and hydrocortisone ointments to try and control it. I was also dry and sore internally but this was helped immensely by oestrogen pessaries, however the consultant felt that my vulval skin problem was a separate issue which was not connected to menopause.

I wondered if anyone else has had vulval dermatitis and whether HRT helped it?

Sunnysideup Wed 16-Mar-22 18:31:46

Don’t suffer myself but this site is great and the ladies are very helpful so I’m sure someone will be along soon to help answer your question. Sending sympathy though.

Esspee Wed 16-Mar-22 23:39:34

I know that for vaginal atrophy you are prescribed a vaginal oestrogen pellet and a vaginal moisturiser. My friend gets YESVM prescribed but you probably can buy it over the counter if you wanted to experiment. I can ask her the name of the oestrogen pellet if you want to know.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Mar-22 06:19:14

I started HRT for the sole reason that I was ridiculously sweaty between my legs, all of the time. This caused a nasty rash too.
It stopped it immediately when I started the HRT.
I don’t know about dermatitis; but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if HRT helps you too.
Good luck