Gransnet forums

Menopause

Return of teenage skin (plus wrinkles!)

(5 Posts)
Acabbagecalledtortoise53 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:03:44

I have been on HRT patches (oestrogen only) since a total abdominal hysterectomy with conservation of ovaries aged 39. I’m now 68 and plan to stay on the patches indefinitely. Over the last 18 months my skin and scalp have become increasingly greasy and my scalp is covered in what I can only describe as teenage acne (none on my face fortunately). It is very sore (scalp lotion hasn’t helped) and my hair has become a greasy mess. Has anyone experienced this and had it treated successfully? I think it must be hormonal but what with Covid, I’ve assumed my GP has more urgent issues to deal with.

Hetty58 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:09:26

I think it's a perfectly valid reason to see your GP. You may have a scalp infection or allergy that needs treatment.

Jane43 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:13:38

You could ask for a telephone appointment, if we request one we always get one the same day then if they think they need to see us they book us in.

Acabbagecalledtortoise53 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:38:57

I did have a telephone consultation with a nurse practitioner a while ago, who prescribed the scalp lotion, which did nothing, but no HCP has actually looked at it. Perhaps I should now be more insistent on seeing an actual GP, which I haven’t done for 2 years now. Thank you for your advice ladies.

Esspee Thu 24-Feb-22 12:48:55

It is unlikely that suddenly, after so many years, your oestrogen is causing the condition.
Like you I have been on HRT for over 30 years and am on it for life. I know many people like us and have never heard of any of the symptoms you have described.
You need to see your GP. Do let us know how you get on. ?