Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hysteroscopy advice

(21 Posts)
Revolucion Mon 10-Jan-22 15:50:54

I’m booked in for a hysteroscopy due to post menopausal bleeding.
My clinic seem to standardly do this as an out patient appointment although it seems there is an option for spinal block or GA as a day case. Does anyone have any advice on which to opt for?
I’d like to avoid a GA but feel quite scared about having this done in an outpatient clinic for which their advic r is to take neurofen beforehand so they obviously expect it to be painful.

Has happened 3 weeks after my booster jab and not sure if that may be the cause.

GagaJo Mon 10-Jan-22 15:53:16

I speak NOT from personal experience but I've read a lot about this.

I'm not sure about the pain relief given by a spinal block. I do know almost everyone I know who has had one, recommends a GA.

ALT57 Mon 10-Jan-22 16:06:20

I have had three Hysteroscopy with no GA or block. These were done for the same post menopausal bleeds. I took pain relief before I went in and to be honest the only pain I felt was a crampy pain when the biopsy was being taken and polyp removed. The lovely Gynaecologist let me know this would happen.
I have had to go back in under GA for a D&C plus mirena coil fitting and will need a hysterectomy in the near future.

I really feel that the more relaxed you can be the better you will tolerate it. I had a lovely nurse chatting to me and it was fine. I certainly would not want to have a GA just for this procedure. I wish you all the best.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 10-Jan-22 16:13:25

I personally wouldn’t want an epidural, and would go for GA. There may be a way you could just be sedated, so you may feel something, but it is usually quick.

Speak to the doctor about your options.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 10-Jan-22 16:41:59

I had a c section with an epidural if that’s any help, didn’t feel anything and so glad I was awake.

Aveline Mon 10-Jan-22 16:55:24

I've had a spinal block three times. Takes a while to wear off but better than a GA

emmasnan Mon 10-Jan-22 17:08:53

I had this done with no block or GA. Some discomfort and cramps but normal painkillers helped with that.

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Jan-22 17:11:55

I had it done without any painkiller and I found it very painful.

Oldbat1 Mon 10-Jan-22 17:54:11

I had a biopsy taken pre hysterectomy and I’ve also had a polyp removed - both done without any pain relief during an outpatient appointment. I did say ow at one point.

H1954 Mon 10-Jan-22 17:59:25

I recently had surgery under spinal block and I experienced a very severe headache and vomiting for 24hrs.

Kandinsky Mon 10-Jan-22 19:04:38

Had this twice due to PMB.
It’s extremely painful ( I cried ). No pain relief was offered to me?
It was all over within about 5 minutes but it really hurts.
Not sure it’s bad enough to need a GA though. ( & I’m a wimp! )

toomuchcouchgrass Mon 10-Jan-22 19:35:43

I had one last week to remove a uterine polyp - I’m in my 70s. I was scared, and also didn’t get, until an hour before I had to leave, the letter advising me to take painkillers the previous night and again in the morning, (400mg ibuprofen each time.) I did take it then. Yes, it was very painful and I may have said so rather loudly at the time, but a nice young nurse held my hand and talked to me to distract me. It was over quite quickly. After a sit down and tea and biscuits, I was fine.

Revolucion Mon 10-Jan-22 19:54:34

You all sound very brave ?
I’m really not good with pain and feel very anxious about the procedure having had some bad experiences during childbirth with internal examinations. It’s good to hear how other people copes with the experience - thank you very much for sharing flowers

SueSocks Mon 10-Jan-22 20:55:14

I had one for post menopausal bleeding. As I have always found smear tests very painful a general anaesthetic was suggested. I had it done with GA, in late morning & out late afternoon. No problems at all, glad I was offered the GA.

JaneJudge Mon 10-Jan-22 20:58:57

If you aren't good with pain ask for wither a spinal and some sort of drug (pethidine is my drug of choice grin ) or a GA. It will all be over and done with soon flowers

Aveline Mon 10-Jan-22 21:38:00

There is something about a kind nurse holding your hand that's always helped me during these sorts of things.

Revolucion Fri 14-Jan-22 16:30:07

I’ve now had my trans vaginal ultrasound which I found both uncomfortable and painful (3 out of 10 pain level) and the sonographer certainly didn’t come across as remotely caring!!! It hasn’t given me much confidence about having the hysteroscopy as an outpatient.

JaneJudge Fri 14-Jan-22 16:35:26

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. If asked for feedback please log your concerns.

Do you have a pre appointment before your hysteroscopy?

Revolucion Fri 14-Jan-22 16:40:50

My first appointment with a doctor will be at the outpatient hysteroscopy clinic where they will want to do hysteroscopy then and there if they decide it’s necessary.

mokryna Fri 14-Jan-22 18:10:01

I had GA both times I had this intervention, I live in France and it was 30 years ago but I wouldn’t want it any other way considering the last Pap smear. It was bad, because the two previous ones didn’t have the desired results, so, the doctor made a big effort to go further.

Oldbat1 Fri 14-Jan-22 18:17:46

Even though I’ve had two such procedures done in an outpatient clinic without any pain relief my recommendation to you would be to make it clear when you arrive at the clinic that you are very reluctant and would prefer an anaesthetic of some kind. I would be voicing very strongly how apprehensive you feel. Best wishes.