Gransnet forums

Menopause

Has anybody tried magnets?

(22 Posts)
Knittingnovice Thu 16-Dec-21 19:01:46

My GP said to keep an open mind about my options which included magnets in knickers as well as HRT.

Natural products appeal to me, but are there are disadvantages?

Riverwalk Thu 16-Dec-21 19:48:58

Nothing natural about having a magnet in your knickers.

Disadvantages could be wasting your money as you won't be getting them on the NHS, and the magnets not dealing with your symptoms.

paddyann54 Thu 16-Dec-21 19:55:27

Itried them waste of money and time.However a bed topper with m gnets in it helped my bad back ,and my daughter uses one all the time for pain .My menopause was only helped by HRT after trying every natural product available

Knittingnovice Thu 16-Dec-21 20:08:56

Thanks. If it wasn't for the GP who mentioned them, I probably wouldn't have considered them.

storynanny Thu 16-Dec-21 22:57:53

Haha! This has reminded me that I tried a magnet about ten years ago. It didn’t work, neither did it do anything for my husband who somehow managed to wake up one morning with it stuck to his back!

GagaJo Thu 16-Dec-21 23:01:30

I have a friend who swore hers worked. She used it after surgical menopause.

SachaMac Thu 16-Dec-21 23:15:12

I brought a nice glittery purple magnet for menopause symptoms a few years ago after a colleague recommended it. After a few weeks wearing it I had stomach pains and spotting which I hadn’t had for many months, it could just have been a coincidence but it put me off wearing it. My GP wouldn’t prescribe HRT but recommended sage tablets from Weleda, Black Cohosh and soya milk &yoghurt!!?

Esspee Fri 17-Dec-21 04:08:17

OP your GP is suggesting a placebo as men think menopause symptoms are all in our heads.
Menopause is caused by lack of oestrogen. The natural solution is to replace that oestrogen, in other words HRT.
When you are lacking the hormone insulin and have diabetes you replace the Insulin. When your thyroid starts acting up you replace the hormone Thyroxene. When your ovaries stop functioning you replace the missing oestrogen. It is that simple. I've been doing it for over 30 years and feel wonderful.

Knittingnovice Fri 17-Dec-21 06:12:03

Especially my GP is female and probably gone through the menopause.

I'm lucky that my GP outlined my options and gave me information.
Sacrament I'm sorry your GP didn't treat you the way my GP did.

Storynanny I read (online) how computers can interfere and cause overheating. I don't know the reliability of the source though.

Gagajo, my GP said some people swear by them and to keep an open mind

I'm thinking all our bodies are different so maybe this is why one size doesn't fit all. Its sad there isn't more support for women. I've been lucky with my GP though.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Dec-21 07:16:59

Menopause is natural - not a disease - so doesn't need medical intervention, treating, correcting etc. unless the discomforts are severe.

It's worth trying anything that might ease the way, though. I found that Black Cohosh and Soya seemed to help a little, at the time, but of course, there's no real evidence as I might have felt just as good (or bad) without them.

I remember leaning out of the bedroom window at 3 am trying to cool down - and thinking it was all a bit much - with a career, four kids and study to cope with. Still, as it came in waves, by the time I saw my GP, I'd agree that I was doing ok.

We all get through it, one way or another, then there's the lovely, calm, post-menopausal second childhood and retirement to enjoy. The cultural differences in attitudes, expectations and experiences are just fascinating:

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/15/what-science-doesnt-know-about-the-menopause-what-its-for-how-to-treat-it

Knittingnovice Fri 17-Dec-21 07:33:38

Hetty I do agree menopause is natural and I have barely noticed. However vaginal dryness is severely impacting my life, it was even noticed during a smear. Hrt just for this seems extreme, so I want to research all my options.

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Dec-21 10:09:39

There are various topical products for vaginal dryness without resorting to HRT such as Vagifem and Vagirux.

I have used magnets for Fibromyalgia and they are effective.
My daughter's dog is being treated with magnets by her vet.
However, I'm not at all convinced that putting one in my knickers would be helpful for menopause symptoms.

henetha Fri 17-Dec-21 10:21:02

Knicker magnets! Wow. I have a magnet bracelet which I
think/hope helps my arthritis wrists and thumbs.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Dec-21 10:26:34

henetha, my daughter had one for period pains. It just clipped onto the top front of her knickers. She wasn't sure whether it helped at all, but used it anyway as it's so easy.

henetha Fri 17-Dec-21 10:34:56

Well, that's great Hetty58. I had never heard of them, and was faintly amused at the idea. But anything which we hope and believe might help our problems, like me with my bracelet, can only be good and always worth a try. So I hope this does help your daughter. Bad period pains are dreadful.

Riverwalk Fri 17-Dec-21 11:00:21

Sparklefizz

There are various topical products for vaginal dryness without resorting to HRT such as Vagifem and Vagirux.

However, I'm not at all convinced that putting one in my knickers would be helpful for menopause symptoms.

Vagifem and Vagirux are HRT, just smaller doses.

Sunnysideup Fri 17-Dec-21 15:54:34

Yes, I used one and the only thing I noticed was I kept getting stuck to the ironing board when ironing! Absolutely true!

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Dec-21 17:08:49

Riverwalk

Sparklefizz

Vagifem and Vagirux are HRT, just smaller doses.

Yes, I know, but they are applied topically and only very minute doses twice a week. They don't work in the body like normal HRT.

Knittingnovice Sun 19-Dec-21 05:59:12

Sunnysideup, that's the only thing which puts me off! I'd also be sticking to things.

Sparklefizz, It's interesting how they're effective for fibro, and vets use them. I don't understand how they work, for severe symtoms a placebo effect wouldn't explain it.

Sparklefizz, I'm currently trying topical treatment. A 3 month trial.

karmalady Sun 19-Dec-21 06:22:19

coils of wire with a current going through produce a magnetic field, n at one end and s at the other. There are mats (very expensive) that alternate this current every 2 minutes, so n changes to s and vice versa. Red blood corpuscles contain iron, so are attracted to magnetic poles. The alternating current therefore ends up `straightening` and de-clumping these red corpuscles in the blood stream. This is the holy grail of magnetic field application. Similar can be achieved by stroking with a fixed magnetic field, the corpuscles will align, just like iron filings

Small neodymium magnets are often used as therapy and can be sown into fabric, gloves, panties etc. They are not very expensive, you just have to make something with small pockets to hold them. I used these small magnets many times over my adult lifetime

I did treat myself to a mat, after my husband died, I already knew about them but at that point I did need to reduce the cortisol in my body, fast because of its damaging effects on the body. I use that mat to this day, have no aches and pains and my joints are all straight, good blood pressure readings, no illnesses and no medications

Good foods for menopause are soya and seeds and various herbs, you may even find the recipe for menopause cake online. It was like a brick but tasty

karmalady Sun 19-Dec-21 06:47:55

the cake recipe

www.meno-me.co.nz/recipe-linda-kearns-hrt-cake/

myself and friends all took a slice to work, it did work and no-one ended up on hrt

Natashajane Sun 20-Mar-22 08:14:49

Hello. I have hip and lower back sciatica, menopause hot flushes, and body numbness and extreme tiredness. Please can you kindly suggest anything, as co codimine doesnt work. Had this all for last 8 weeks. Hurts when I walk. Thanks Natasha x