Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT and cataracts Do women get told the facts ?

(14 Posts)
trisher Tue 02-Nov-21 16:13:22

I know someone of 56 who has a rapidly growing cataract. She did some research and found out that drinking alcohol massively increases the risk of cataract for anyone on HRT. No-one warned her about this. Is this just another example of women being ignored and disregarded by the medical profession?
Link to study www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100301122326.htm

Riverwalk Tue 02-Nov-21 16:21:46

Surely alcohol increases the risk of lots of diseases?

And that study is 11 years old.

Baggs Tue 02-Nov-21 16:31:36

One study doesn't prove much.

Women who aren't on HRT get cataracts too.

Baggs Tue 02-Nov-21 16:32:25

Also, treatment for cataracts is very good nowadays.

M0nica Wed 03-Nov-21 14:41:05

That you should never mix alcohol and medication for many reasons from drug safety to aggravating existing complaints is widely known. What more did she need to know.

trisher Thu 04-Nov-21 09:31:45

M0nica

That you should never mix alcohol and medication for many reasons from drug safety to aggravating existing complaints is widely known. What more did she need to know.

Well as HRT is currently being offered to all menopausal women and it is proposed that it be free of charge, perhaps a clearer warning about the cataracts risks which are hugely elevated by alcohol. I very much doubt that all or even most menopausal women will stop drinking because they are taking HRT.

M0nica Thu 04-Nov-21 14:56:46

In which case there is no point in telling them![grin}

Esspee Thu 04-Nov-21 15:12:22

Sometimes you need to stand back and look at such studies to realise that there are other explanations which the paper’s contributors had not even considered.
The first one that occurs to me is that all the women I know on HRT have a very different attitude to health. They are extremely proactive in seeking and securing medical help to live the best lives they can. They have already shown that by opting for HRT so when they feel their sight is deteriorating I’m guessing they are highly effective in ensuring they have their cataracts removed.
Most of us get cataracts, but some of us are better at ensuring they get treated.

Esspee Thu 04-Nov-21 15:31:51

I have gone on to read lots of other articles on the subject of HRT through links in the article you have featured trisher and they are all hugely pro the benefits of HRT. If you read the whole of the article you featured you will see that the second to last paragraph questions the findings of the original paper.

Riverwalk Thu 04-Nov-21 15:39:15

Well as HRT is currently being offered to all menopausal women ....

This is so not true! Do you have a link for this claim?

trisher Thu 04-Nov-21 19:33:28

Esspee

Sometimes you need to stand back and look at such studies to realise that there are other explanations which the paper’s contributors had not even considered.
The first one that occurs to me is that all the women I know on HRT have a very different attitude to health. They are extremely proactive in seeking and securing medical help to live the best lives they can. They have already shown that by opting for HRT so when they feel their sight is deteriorating I’m guessing they are highly effective in ensuring they have their cataracts removed.
Most of us get cataracts, but some of us are better at ensuring they get treated.

So women who don't use HRT don't care about their health??? Actually exactly the opposite is true women who reject HRT tend to research other solutions for their symptoms, use activities such as yoga to help are conscious of their diet, ask for medication to deal with specific problems such as osteoporosis and are generally very health conscious.
As for the assertion about cataracts of course they are treatable and saying someone seeks treatment early is ridiculous. Treatment depends on the ophthalmologist deciding the cataract is at the right stage, you can't just demand it.

trisher Thu 04-Nov-21 19:37:45

M0nica

In which case there is no point in telling them![grin}

So they shouldn't have the information M0nica?
I'm glad you find it funny. My friend who lives alone in an isolated place is looking forward to a winter when she will not be able to drive once the light begins to fade. Her cataract will be looked at again in Feb but she'll have a difficult winter.

M0nica Thu 04-Nov-21 20:36:32

trish you wrote I very much doubt that all or even most menopausal women will stop drinking because they are taking HRT.

My reply is apposite to that generality: ^In which case there is no point in telling them!^grin

Does your response apply to your friend as well?

I have had cataracts. I had the operations, nearly 20 years ago now. I know and understand all the problems. But I can also keep a sense of proportion and see humour in the general, although not in the particular.

trisher Fri 05-Nov-21 11:03:02

M0nica

trish you wrote I very much doubt that all or even most menopausal women will stop drinking because they are taking HRT.

My reply is apposite to that generality: ^In which case there is no point in telling them!^grin

Does your response apply to your friend as well?

I have had cataracts. I had the operations, nearly 20 years ago now. I know and understand all the problems. But I can also keep a sense of proportion and see humour in the general, although not in the particular.

M0nica I think it was obvious from my post that I meant women would not stop drinking when they're on HRT unless they were warned properly about the risks involved. Then they could maake an informed choice