Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Energy drink called Prime

(39 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Fri 11-Nov-22 05:14:07

Who has heard of the energy drink called prime it’s flying off the shelves and selling on the black market for a hiked up price which is ridiculous and overpriced my grandchildren are looking for this drink can anyone help

Calendargirl Fri 11-Nov-22 07:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MawtheMerrier Fri 11-Nov-22 07:44:19

Why?
MCSS is a long-standing member and I can see no “illegal” links?

Aldom Fri 11-Nov-22 07:51:40

It's just in the wrong Forum, that's all. MCSS writes lovely posts.
Probably better to move this one to Chat? smile

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Nov-22 08:20:20

www.dexerto.com/entertainment/ksi-explains-why-its-impossible-to-buy-prime-drink-in-the-uk-1909971/

Limited availability.

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 08:36:51

I’ve heard of it as someone I know has posted photos of herself driving her daughter and her friends to a supermarket at 6.00 am as they had it in stock. She is a bit of a ‘conspicuously good parent’ but I think that’s madness.

Apparently it can change hands for £10 a bottle despite costing £1 or so to buy.

Redhead56 Fri 11-Nov-22 08:40:04

Why would anyone buy energy drinks for children?

MerylStreep Fri 11-Nov-22 08:50:26

My 16 year old grandson should have that on intravenous drip 😄

25Avalon Fri 11-Nov-22 09:10:42

Asda seems to have it in stock. It’s one of those hydration energy drinks that’s especially popular with anyone doing sports. There’s been several over the years - Lucozade Sport, Monster to name a couple. There’s also Red Bull which has been very popular for some time and has an ongoing advertising campaign mostly aimed at university students.

aggie Fri 11-Nov-22 09:13:02

Those Energy Drinks are packed with sugar and caffeine! So bad for anyone especially children !

HeavenLeigh Fri 11-Nov-22 09:22:37

Personally I don’t think they are good for anyone all that caffeine and extra added sugar

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 09:33:49

I don't think that they are like to do harm in moderation. It's not that that I object to, it's buying into the marketing that says it is acceptable to have children (young teens in my friend's case) dressed and ready at the door in time to get to the supermarket at 6.00am to buy a drink that has been made desirable by its manufactured scarcity.

Children have always liked sweet treats and I'm not po-faced about indulging them sometimes, but that seems to me a step too far. To me, the susceptibility to marketing is more dangerous than an occasional sugar hit.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 09:39:28

Well back in the day we were running around outside all day and only ever drunk water. I don't remember anyone fainting from lack of sugar or caffeine.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Nov-22 09:45:14

Apologies for reporting this, had reported a couple more ‘spam’ posts and this one went in by mistake.

Will ask GN to sort it.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Nov-22 09:47:08

Prime DOES NOT have caffeine in it.
It’s actually a healthy drink, its main ingredient is coconut water, I think.
It was dreamed up by two You Tubers (or possibly Tic Tokers).
It’s due to its online presence that it is so popular among young teens.
It’s a fad. The emperor’s new clothes.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Nov-22 09:49:06

drinkprime.uk/

25Avalon Fri 11-Nov-22 10:05:19

Yes it does seem fairly healthy and not stuffed with caffeine. The fad, however, is not as harmless as it might seem as some youngsters are bullying others and stealing it.

A while back we banned Red Bull from our bar as it was popular to mix it with alchohol, which with the high caffeine content was ‘lethal’.

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 10:44:07

Chestnut

Well back in the day we were running around outside all day and only ever drunk water. I don't remember anyone fainting from lack of sugar or caffeine.

Being about to faint for lack of something is not the only reason for ingesting it, though. People eat and drink things for pleasure, not always for sustenance. Gin and tonic, chocolate, buttered teacake, what’s the difference? I remember drinking squash as a child, with Ribena as a treat.

I don’t see abstemiousness or self-denial as inherently good things, and f the drink were readily available but popular, I would have no issue with children wanting it in their lunchbox or whatever. It’s the bullying, and the black marketeering that I find worrying, alongside the pressure to persuade parents to drive to supermarkets in the early morning.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 10:45:55

That was tongue in cheek, Doodledog 😁

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Nov-22 10:52:34

aggie

Those Energy Drinks are packed with sugar and caffeine! So bad for anyone especially children !

This one has 200mg caffeine (1-2 coffees) and is a low sugar drink.

Here are the ingredients:

Filtered Water, Coconut Water From Concentrate (10.5%), Acid (Citric Acid), Mineral Salt (Dipotassium Phosphate), Natural Flavouring, Carrot Concentrate, Colour (Beta Carotene), Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K), Amino Acids (L- Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine), Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, BCAA Blend: 250mg (L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine)

It has no artificial colours or flavours but does contain sweeteners.

I suppose it's like Gatorade in the US?

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Nov-22 10:54:36

I will check the caffeine fanny- I thought I'd read that..

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 10:56:12

Chestnut

That was tongue in cheek, Doodledog 😁

Sorry grin.

There are such a lot of self-righteous 'didn't do us any harm' posts on here sometimes that I had a sense of humour bypass.

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Nov-22 11:00:52

No. I can't find it Fanny. Apologies.

growstuff Fri 11-Nov-22 11:06:53

The website states it doesn't contain caffeine:

drinkprime.uk/pages/faq

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Nov-22 11:28:22

growstuff

The website states it doesn't contain caffeine:

drinkprime.uk/pages/faq

Yes, it doesn’t