Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Hello there :)

(23 Posts)
Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 03:39:57

Good Morning everyone,

this is my first post and I didn't really know where to post it so I settled for here.

So where am I? Well home for the last 37 years has been the middle east though I'm originally from Scotland. However, my home in the UK when is in South Wales next door to my adored (step) dad.

I'm a mum to 5, the eldest is almost 35 and the youngest is 22. My youngest has very profound special needs and requires round the clock care which he has at home, he's looked after by myself and a few carers brought in for him (and us and the rest of the children) by my lovely husband who is anything but perfect. :D

Nana wise I have 3, soon to be 4 grandchildren, and apart from my son they are how I live my life. I don't have a career though I do help run the family business but even then, and in all honesty, my children and grandchildren fill my day. Before having any help with my son I looked after him at home for 20 years and I didn't really get to be the kind of mum I wanted to be with my other children quite a lot of the time. Having the help with my son means I can now catch up with things and be the mum I want to be, as well as the nana I want to be. I'm very lucky in that my children have no objection to this and Ive yet to be told to get on my broomstick and get lost. There is still time though. :D

So, not a very exciting first contribution, but to be quite honest with you I'm kind of enjoying being 55 and not very exciting. smile

Bags Thu 30-May-13 04:58:40

I enjoyed reading your first post, hannoona. Welcome to gransnet smile

Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 05:39:59

Thank you smile Its nice to be here.

Ariadne Thu 30-May-13 06:26:21

Hello, Hannona! Welcome to Gransnet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ariadne Thu 30-May-13 06:27:17

And I got your name wrong, Hannoona So sorry smile

Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 06:31:39

So did I Aridane - its supposed to be Hanoona :D :D

Thank you for the welcome anyway smile

Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 06:44:08

Aridane - oh my goodness :D Sorry.

kittylester Thu 30-May-13 07:27:35

Hi Hannoona. Nice to meet you flowers

I am also a mum of 5, with 5 DGC - sixth due later in the year, 4 step DGC and a son who is now disabled after a major stroke when he was 35. And, I live in the East Midlands. Nor as exciting as the Middle East! smile

Bez Thu 30-May-13 07:28:07

Welcome Hannoona - nice to hear about other people's lives. Living in the Middle East I assume your weather has not been so wet and cold as I can assure you South Wales has been! I am here with family at the moment - we moved to SW France full time last year.
Look forward to hearing more from you.

shysal Thu 30-May-13 08:03:39

Hi Hannoona, great to hear from you, hope you will enjoy Gransnet. Did you marry a man from the Middle East? It would be interesting to hear your story of how you came to move there. You definitely have your hands full with family!

Marelli Thu 30-May-13 08:24:26

Hello, Hannoona, pleased to meet you smile.

numberplease Thu 30-May-13 17:32:33

Hello Hannoona, welcome to Gransnet!

soop Thu 30-May-13 17:55:30

Hannoona A very warm welcome from sunny Kintyre. I hope that you enjoy Gransnet. Since joining, I have become friends with many lovely people. This forum has changed my life [for the better]. flowers

Grandmanorm Thu 30-May-13 18:00:50

Welcome Hanoona I hope you enjoy being a member here. flowers

liminetta Thu 30-May-13 20:29:44

Hello, Hannoona.Welcome to the Gransnet, a cheerful and conversational website for us older generation.I, too, have a disabled son, and have been through hell and high water over the years with him, but now thank goodness, I am able to get on with my life at last.Good luck to you! And keep up the membership.It,s great.

whenim64 Thu 30-May-13 20:34:34

Welcome Hanoona I hope you get to enjoy Gransnet as much as I do flowers

Hannoona Fri 31-May-13 08:08:42

Good Morning ladies and thank you for the lovely welcome.

Bez, the weather here right now is painful. Really painful. Hot and humid, and for me its the humidity that's the worst part of it. Hot flushes on top of damp and sticky due to the heat is not the nicest of combinations. :D

Oh to be in South Wales right now, my dad teases me by calling and letting me hear the rain bounce off the conservatory roof. I only have another month to go though till we up sticks en-masse for the summer and our ice cream in Porthcawl and Mumbles - even in the pouring rain. smile

Shysal, yes I married someone from this part of the world and wouldn't mind telling my story but sadly experience has taught me there's always someone who will bring it round to other things and I really cant be bothered with it anymore. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, its not my intention at all, but life since 9/11 has been very hard for the ordinary person with any Islamic connection and I feel quite jaded by it all when it comes to others picking up a ball and running with it. There is always someone :D To be honest I have lived very happily here for a lifetime as a woman who has no outward signs of being married to a local. I'm accepted at face value where ever I go and am treated with the utmost respect. I love these people and not just because they were and still are so accepting of me. This really is a great part of the world to live in and the wonderful people just make it all the more so.

Liminetta - I understand smile

shysal Fri 31-May-13 08:31:09

Sorry if you felt I was being intrusive, I was just interested, nothing more. I am so pleased that you are happy there. The people are even more important than the place aren't they? I can relate to the discomfort of the heat and humidity, as a 'hot body' myself! I always say that it is easier to warm yourself up than it is to cool down.
I hope you will enjoy Gransnet, although I must warn you that it is addictive! You will find advice, comfort, humour and just plain craziness! smile

Hannoona Fri 31-May-13 08:37:19

No, you weren't being intrusive shysal, anything but, and I'm sorry if my reply made you feel that way. (flowers) It really wasn't intended. Being a natural blether I love talking to people about how I got here and what its been like. I really have had a life and a half. smile Its just that its been hard for the ordinary person for quite some time now and though the world is full of very nice people - there is always someone who isn't so nice and what can start off as me just telling a story can become something else entirely. I find I'm less able for it the older I get. (hmm)

Ella46 Fri 31-May-13 08:42:10

Hannoona, that's understandable, but such a shame as it would be interesting to hear your point of view and experiences.
The world (and Gransnet) is indeed full of very nice people smile

Oldgreymare Fri 31-May-13 09:26:08

Hello Hannoona. We have had the coldest Spring here for 50 years and June is predicted to be 'changeable' so make sure you bring wellies and waterproofs AND thermal vests. smile

Hannoona Mon 03-Jun-13 07:41:06

Will do Oldgreymare smile

Thistledoo Mon 24-Jun-13 19:00:20

Hello Hannoona, welcome to GN. You will love it here. There are some really nice folk to chat to especially if you are feeling low. I am from Scotland Inverness-shire. Its beautiful but cold and wet, well it can be nice when we get a share of summer. I also started life in South Wales, Cardiff. Would love a day in Porthcawl and the Mumbles with the grandchildren. Nos Da. brew