Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

holiday insurance

(20 Posts)
Liz46 Sun 13-Nov-22 10:34:25

We are booking our first holiday since Covid (to Cuba) and wonder if anyone can recommend a good travel insurance company. I got a couple of quotes but when I checked the companies on Trustpilot, they apparently don't answer their phones!

LOUISA1523 Sun 13-Nov-22 10:50:20

Have ypu been on one of the comparison sites?

MerylStreep Sun 13-Nov-22 11:21:55

Liz46
If you can, hide your search history when looking for travel insurance. The minute you start looking you will be tracked, and the more you look the price will go up.

This how you do it.
www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/hide-browsing-history-complete-guide

Liz46 Sun 13-Nov-22 11:25:46

Thank you both. I didn't know that MerylStreep.

Georgesgran Sun 13-Nov-22 22:11:35

Don’t rush completing the forms and note what you’re going to enter first - don’t put something in, then remove it, or enter ‘yes’ then change it to ‘no’. It will appear you are perhaps trying to ‘hide’ something.

Mollygo Sun 13-Nov-22 23:40:42

Thanks for that MerylStreep.
Avanti did us what we thought was a good deal, but in the end, the holiday company were the people who made sure we got home safely and reimbursed us.

nanna8 Mon 14-Nov-22 00:13:34

I don’t know if they work from the UK but Covermore were good for us. Not the cheapest but they paid up when we got Covid on holiday and were very good to deal with.

Bigred18 Mon 14-Nov-22 05:27:16

Im travelling from Oz to UK soon - quotes varied up to $1000+ Awful when you are over 75!

Katie59 Mon 14-Nov-22 07:29:41

As you get older rates are going to go up, particularly for the US and you have to be careful to declare all your medical history. We have annual multi trip insurance we have declared history and they don’t seem bothered about stable long term conditions, recent problems would be looked at closely.

Comparison sites do track you but it’s easy to counter that by deleting your browsing history in your computer, a nuisance no more.

multicolourswapshop Mon 14-Nov-22 07:41:08

I’ve been quoted an astronomical insurance cost to fly abroad due to both our health conditions

MerylStreep Mon 14-Nov-22 08:08:06

Kate59
I’m afraid clearing your search history will not hide anything.
What I’m referring to is a completely different tech action.
If you read this you will understand.

www.east-tec.com/blog/clearing-browsing-history-doesnt-protect-privacy/

Humbertbear Mon 14-Nov-22 08:21:30

Look at Martin Lewis’s website for good advice on travel insurance. If you have accounts with them, he recommends Barclays and Nationwide.

Cabbie21 Mon 14-Nov-22 08:54:13

I think it is truer to say that Martin Lewis considers these bank accounts may be of interest because they include travel insurance as part of the package.

Lathyrus Mon 14-Nov-22 08:59:36

Can’t speak too highly of Nationwide in-house insurance.
When we had to cancel 2019 because of my sisters illness they paid up within the week. It wasn’t even me that was ill.

Saga made it so difficult to claim with all their requirements and additional queries and nit-picking that my sister died before she could complete the claim.

Liz46 Mon 14-Nov-22 09:02:33

Thanks everyone. I have gone with Staysure. I've never had to claim on my holiday insurance but am getting older! I probably should have looked at Nationwide as Lathyrus said but didn't think of that.

Newquay Mon 14-Nov-22 09:08:24

We found All Clear and Staysure very good

Sago Mon 14-Nov-22 09:48:32

We pay a monthly charge for premium bank accounts that include worldwide travel insurance, airport lounge passes and gadget insurance.
It’s very good value.

Katie59 Mon 14-Nov-22 12:44:33

MerylStreep

Kate59
I’m afraid clearing your search history will not hide anything.
What I’m referring to is a completely different tech action.
If you read this you will understand.

www.east-tec.com/blog/clearing-browsing-history-doesnt-protect-privacy/

I don’t know about privacy, it’s the tracking cookies that online comparison sites use for flights and insurance that bother me, on IOS deleting Safari history definitely does stop them increasing prices if you go back.

As for privacy, the police or anyone else who has the know how can look at my online use, they can track my phone too, that the way it is.

SusieB50 Mon 14-Nov-22 12:56:57

I used to have travel insurance with my bank account ( NatWest) but once I reached 70 with no additional or changed health issues, it is no longer included . So I changed accounts . I got a reasonable quote from StaySure but it was just to Europe.

Esspee Mon 14-Nov-22 14:27:24

Staysure has connections with a comparison site called Payingtoomuch.com. The quotes they came back with were significantly less than others.

The best deal we had for travel insurance was with HSBC. You don’t pay anything for the bank premier account, it simply includes travel insurance up to age 70. Since then shopping around for travel insurance has been an annual nightmare.