Legal, pensions and money

Beware! Clever Paypal fraud attempt

(13 Posts)
Catterygirl Thu 10-Nov-22 23:54:25

Thanks

HousePlantQueen Thu 10-Nov-22 23:29:38

Crikey, a very plausible scam. Thank you for the warning

biglouis Thu 10-Nov-22 23:16:12

Got a very convincing looking scam message earlier this evening. We were unable to deliver your UPS package" yadda yadda. Then I noticed it was in the UPS logo and colours but written IPS! Plus the source code for the message was very odd.

I have 2 packages in transit within the USA at the moment (from auction houses to my US agent) and yes they do often use UPS. However UPS tracking numbers are very distinctive and this wasnt one of them.

biglouis Thu 10-Nov-22 23:08:41

This is a common scam especially if you have a business. The sender assumes that every so often an account owner will simply pay the invoice without checking its validity.

Having an online business I have to call PP from time to time. I first log into my account (not using any emailed inks) and then use their contact facility. If you call using this while logged in you know you are speaking to PP and they also know its the account holder.

Most of the staff I speak to are based in Dublin (so they have Irish accents) although you may be switched to an agent based elsewhere in some situations. Had American and Canadian accents but never an Italian one.

Nannagarra Wed 09-Nov-22 20:32:00

Thank you.

Skye17 Wed 09-Nov-22 19:09:19

Thank you.

crazyH Wed 09-Nov-22 18:44:31

Thanks x

nadateturbe Wed 09-Nov-22 18:42:49

Thanks for this.

InnocentBystander Wed 09-Nov-22 18:07:10

This is the warning you need to heed from Paypal themselves.

InnocentBystander Wed 09-Nov-22 17:39:44

Luckygirl3

Thank you - have you reported this to Paypal?

They appear to be aware of it already because somewhere in the depths of their far from user friendly website, there's a specific warning about spurious invoices and dodgy telephone numbers contained in a legitimate email.
It would help if every business customer invoice bore the warning too.

Luckygirl3 Wed 09-Nov-22 16:59:00

Thank you - have you reported this to Paypal?

Sparklefizz Wed 09-Nov-22 16:50:55

Thanks for this info.

InnocentBystander Wed 09-Nov-22 15:29:46

A word of warning to Paypal users. I had an email apparently from Paypal yesterday morning advising me that a request for payment had been received from some Italian sounding bloke for £699.79, and on checking my Paypal account the request was there awaiting approval. The Paypal fraud line number in the email turned out to be the fraud itself! After a long and increasing fraught conversation with some strongly accented woman I decided that this probably wasn't Paypal's number despite the payment request appearing in my Paypal account. Eventually I cancelled the invoice request via my Paypal account, cancelled my credit card pinned to my PP account, and changed my PP password.
The lesson is do not call the fraud line given in the apparent Paypal email if you get one. It's a clever scam and I nearly fell for it. The origin of the email was definitely Paypal and the links contained in it were to Paypal, not some gibberish address as is usually the case when you hover over them. It was the message from the invoice source that contained the spoof phone number, but because it appeared in a genuine Paypal email and the invoice proved to actually exist, that went unnoticed, as did the glaringly obvious typo in the vendor's message.

A bit of research suggests this is new and the real fraud is the fraud line number which puts you through to what you assume is the Paypal security centre.