Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

BENEFITS: Broadband on benefits:

(35 Posts)
DaisyAnne Thu 20-Oct-22 12:32:01

There are cheap broadband deals exclusively available to people receiving benefits.

Deals are restricted to specific benefits which vary from company to company, and providers will need to confirm your eligibility.

Some packages may have unusual limitations that could make them unsuitable for your requirements.

Some regular broadband deals may be cheaper than a benefits offer. Companies should be able to help you with this.

Companies which offer this (This is not a complete list. Some companies e.g., Sky, do not advertise but will help.)

BT Home Essentials
Hyperoptic Fair Fibre
KCOM Flex
Virgin Media Essential
TalkTalk offers six months of free broadband to jobseekers, via a voucher scheme.

You can see the different offers and the benefits required here:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/broadband-social-tariffs/

www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/help/broadband-on-benefits

swampy1961 Thu 20-Oct-22 13:38:59

I realise that I may get shot down in flames but since when did Broadband become essential?
We do not need Broadband to survive!!!
There are plenty of other things more important than paying for internet access.
If it came to a choice between a meal or the internet - I know which I would choose.

DaisyAnne Thu 20-Oct-22 13:41:12

I think you may be a little bit behind the times swampy. Are you on benefits?

vegansrock Thu 20-Oct-22 13:42:20

Broadband is essential in the 21st century if you are looking for a job, keeping in touch with all sorts of agencies, education, children's schools etc. you are definitely at a disadvantage without.

Doodledog Thu 20-Oct-22 13:43:08

It is essential for people on benefits as they have to prove they are spending as much time looking for work as they would spend on being in work. Ridiculous, but there we are.

Also, broadband may not be necessary for actual survival, but it is important for people to be a part of society, as it enables communication with others amongst other things. I doubt it costs anything like the amount charged in bills, particularly when the infrastructure is already there, so to give it to those who need it won't cost the providers very much, if anything. It's the sort of thing that we could all get free if we paid a bit more tax.

swampy1961 Thu 20-Oct-22 13:49:48

No! Not on benefits!
But we have become brainwashed into believing that we cannot exist without the internet. We used to manage without and if necessary we can live without it too - if we have to.
When and if it comes to harsh choices - we may need to make them and if Broadband becomes a casualty then so be it.

volver Thu 20-Oct-22 13:51:28

We used to manage without electricity and running water too.

Times change.

Franbern Thu 20-Oct-22 13:55:24

I do not want to be rude.....but *We used to do without...*is a rather silly statement.
Yes we used to do without central heating, clean running water, WC's, any form of proper health care, cars, buses, trains, etc.etc.

Strangely enough life progresses (sometime regresses), but changes and BB IS , these days, one of the essential services.

I am on Pension Benefit and thanks to DaisyAnne giving this information some months back I was able to change my BT contract onto the BT Essentials one, cutting my monthly bill in half with one phone call.

volver Thu 20-Oct-22 13:58:47

Sorry, I'm away for a cup of tea, seeing as the political events of today are so enervating. But when people pick on you even though you're agreeing with them, you start to wonder what's going on.

Hetty58 Thu 20-Oct-22 14:00:11

We'd be cut off from the world without it - especially in lockdowns. Ok, if you realy want to live off grid, you can, indeed live without a lot of things (or is that survive) but then it's difficult to change or improve your life. 50 years back, we could easily have a normal life without a car, phone, fridge or washing machine - but now?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Oct-22 14:02:31

The majority of homework senior and primary is online.

Applying for jobs all online.

Applying for benefits all online

Banking in many areas all online due to branch closures.

Yes the internet is a necessity in 2022 and beyond …

Franbern Thu 20-Oct-22 14:03:12

Volver hope you did not think my comment was aimed at you - it was for swampy. Your reply virtually crossed with mine.

Broadband these days is as important as electricity in the home.

MerylStreep Thu 20-Oct-22 14:05:21

Swampy
With a username like that I expected you to be more in touch with the common folk
But judging by your comment you haven’t the foggiest idea what I’m talking about, do you?

volver Thu 20-Oct-22 14:05:33

We agree then Franbern. Apologies for jumping on your post so quickly.

Norah Thu 20-Oct-22 14:07:22

swampy1961

No! Not on benefits!
But we have become brainwashed into believing that we cannot exist without the internet. We used to manage without and if necessary we can live without it too - if we have to.
When and if it comes to harsh choices - we may need to make them and if Broadband becomes a casualty then so be it.

Horse and buggy days are gone, as are buggy whips.

We have to stay current. If not we fall behind.

Blondiescot Thu 20-Oct-22 14:08:10

swampy1961

I realise that I may get shot down in flames but since when did Broadband become essential?
We do not need Broadband to survive!!!
There are plenty of other things more important than paying for internet access.
If it came to a choice between a meal or the internet - I know which I would choose.

It absolutely is essential if you're looking for a job, to name but one thing. Almost all job applications are exclusively online now - so if you're unemployed, on benefits and looking for work, then yes, it is an essential. As someone else has mentioned, many schools put all their homework and communication with parents online now too, and online banking is the only option for many people as well now. You make not think of it as an essential - and maybe for a lot of people it isn't - but it would be very hard to cope without it for the majority of people. And it's somewhat ironic to be complaining about that on an internet forum such as this...

Norah Thu 20-Oct-22 14:13:56

The carriage/ buggy picture didn't transfer, not much for my internet knowledge.

swampy1961 Thu 20-Oct-22 14:21:16

I knew I would be flamed when I made the comment but prefer not to get in to mudslinging about names and who or what may be behind them
I accept that the use of Broadband is part of everyday life but do you seriously expect me to believe that if it came to a straight choice between eating or using the internet that you would turn down the choice of your next meal for yourself or your family!! If that's the case then I wish you luck.
But this is forum open for discussion on any or all subjects - with all opinions valid whether agreed with or otherwise by whoever accesses them.

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Oct-22 14:52:26

Well Swampy I know you are right, people would choose to eat over most other things but as this thread is about how to make savings on Internet services if you are on benefits, it's definitely something worth knowing.

It's not a thread about the Internet being more important than eating I feel.

I didn't understand your mudslinging about names and who or what may be behind them comment. Sorry.

Doodledog Thu 20-Oct-22 15:03:44

It's not a choice between eating or broadband though. It's a chance for those on benefits to get broadband cheaper.

What's the link with starvation here? I seem to have missed it.

DaisyAnne Thu 20-Oct-22 15:36:48

swampy1961

I knew I would be flamed when I made the comment but prefer not to get in to mudslinging about names and who or what may be behind them
I accept that the use of Broadband is part of everyday life but do you seriously expect me to believe that if it came to a straight choice between eating or using the internet that you would turn down the choice of your next meal for yourself or your family!! If that's the case then I wish you luck.
But this is forum open for discussion on any or all subjects - with all opinions valid whether agreed with or otherwise by whoever accesses them.

I asked because if you needed to claim benefits because if you would realise you do need the internet for your claims, etc. as others have explained. There is often no other way of making contact. Without it you will neither eat nor do anything else.

If any "flaming" was done it was your ignorant, provocative post. What a nasty thing to do on what was supposed to be a thread to help those who are struggling.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Oct-22 15:44:17

School dinners - paid for online.
School reports - Shown online.
Lessons and homework- Shown online.
Problems at school - emails are sent.

Time sheets for work - sent online.
Payslips - sent online.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Oct-22 15:47:37

Job applications - sent online.
Jobseekers allowance - communicate with the DWP online.
Prove that you are applying for jobs - log into your online journal.
Messages from dwp - put into your online journal.

DaisyAnne Thu 20-Oct-22 15:50:25

It was a deliberately provocation from scumpy MissA. I hate the thought that there are such unkind people.

I've never come across the name before so no idea why she would do such a thing.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Oct-22 15:54:26

I really think people don't realise it is a actually necessary to be online these days.

I hate tech, and I find all of this stuff awful and stressful (still trying to sort out online banking; its three years now I've been messing it up for blush)