Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Annual Winter Fuel Payment 2022

(103 Posts)
DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 15:37:09

This is the one we get every year after State Pension Age.

Born between 26 September 1942 and 25 September 1956
You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)
£500
You qualify and live with someone under 80 who also qualifies
£250
You qualify and live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies
£250
You qualify, live in a care home and do not get certain benefits
£250

Born on or before 25 September 1942
You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)
£600
You qualify and live with someone under 80 who also qualifies
£350
You qualify and live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies
£300
You qualify, live in a care home and do not get certain benefits
£300

Prentice Mon 17-Oct-22 15:39:50

This is good to put out there DaisyAnne so that all realise what they are due.

Kim19 Mon 17-Oct-22 15:45:04

Does this come direct from the government or via our individual heating companies, please? Also, is there any indication of when it will happen?

Prentice Mon 17-Oct-22 15:47:03

It comes from the government Kim19 and usually in November or December.

sodapop Mon 17-Oct-22 15:54:00

Big fat zero if you live in France.

Kim19 Mon 17-Oct-22 16:04:47

Thank you, Prentice. Appreciated.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 16:11:34

Kim19

Does this come direct from the government or via our individual heating companies, please? Also, is there any indication of when it will happen?

Direct to your bank account Kim. It is usually between November and December and seems to go out in alphabetical order in my experience.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 16:13:23

Sorry Prentice. I didn't spot your answer.

grannyrebel7 Mon 17-Oct-22 16:18:09

It would be better paid directly to your energy company like the new £400 payment.

annsixty Mon 17-Oct-22 16:58:05

Our £400 from EDF isn’t going from our monthly DD .
I received £67 last week directly into my bank.
Two payments of £67 and four of £66.

MawtheMerrier Mon 17-Oct-22 17:03:36

sodapop

Big fat zero if you live in France.

That is, according to DWP because your average temperatures are not low enough to qualify it seems
You cannot get the payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK

Auntieflo Mon 17-Oct-22 17:06:20

But why should you get it if you live in France?

notgran Mon 17-Oct-22 17:29:21

Auntieflo

Good question and isn't life better over there and you are entitled to better health care etc. A few £100 can't make that much difference surely what with the better standard of living. If it does then perhaps you need to return, you can't have your cake and eat it, you know.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 17:40:32

grannyrebel7

It would be better paid directly to your energy company like the new £400 payment.

They never have and I can see good reasons why they don't.

For those on very low incomes and therefore receiving certain benefits including Pension Credit the Warm Home Discount has always been paid into their energy account.

This is a one-off discount of £150 in 2022/23 paid between October 2022 and March 2023.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 17:41:25

annsixty

It varies from company to company annsixty.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 18:22:02

Kim19

The same as always Kim. It should go straight into your bank account. The one the companies are managing is a one-off Energy Bills Support Scheme. It is £400 paid over six months from October. Each company has chosen their own way of dealing with this.

sodapop Mon 17-Oct-22 21:03:13

Auntieflo

Why should we not ? We continue to pay UK taxes and worked all our lives in UK.
It's strange isn't it how the money is important in UK but not so here notgran
In fact the temperatures here are very similar to UK although hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.
I understand its a penalty we pay for living here and I'm resigned to that. Comments about cake are uncalled for.

Jaxjacky Mon 17-Oct-22 21:09:41

Out of interest sodapop if you are French and live in the UK would you get the cheque énergie from the French government?

JaneJudge Mon 17-Oct-22 21:16:34

sodapop

Auntieflo

Why should we not ? We continue to pay UK taxes and worked all our lives in UK.
It's strange isn't it how the money is important in UK but not so here notgran
In fact the temperatures here are very similar to UK although hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.
I understand its a penalty we pay for living here and I'm resigned to that. Comments about cake are uncalled for.

The French government capped the increases at 4% so you presumably don't need it

M0nica Mon 17-Oct-22 21:23:08

grannyrebel17 Why? Are you worried we might all go out and spend it on cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women/men and not pay our bills?

I think by the time we reach retirement age we should be given our allowances and then left to manage our finances as all but a small minority are more than capable of doing.

DaisyAnne Mon 17-Oct-22 22:07:29

M0nica

grannyrebel17 Why? Are you worried we might all go out and spend it on cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women/men and not pay our bills?

I think by the time we reach retirement age we should be given our allowances and then left to manage our finances as all but a small minority are more than capable of doing.

I've watched too much Parliament today and was about to say "Hear, hear", but you get the gist.

Generally, when people say things like grannyrebel said generally don't think "we" will get it wrong. They think "they" will.

Chestnut Tue 18-Oct-22 00:26:39

DaisyAnne

annsixty

It varies from company to company annsixty.

I had £67 paid direct into my Octopus account who took £67 less from my direct debit. Much better and simpler that way, and no chance of spending it elsewhere.

I can't agree that only a few people will spend their payment elsewhere if it goes straight into the bank account. If people are low on funds for food or other essentials they will spend it on those, and it won't be there for the energy bills.

grannycakes Tue 18-Oct-22 06:34:23

£200 is the winter heating allowance - they are adding the £400 cost of living payment to this. This is meant to help with the other cost of living rises particularly food. This is why its not going to the energy provoders

Allsorts Tue 18-Oct-22 06:56:24

Isn’t is just for people on some sort of benefits? I must say I think it’s unfair, if you are not claiming benefits you don’t have advantage of all the help available if you are £1 just above the qualifying rate . So in effect you are far worse off. It all needs a shake up.

Abitbarmy Tue 18-Oct-22 07:02:37

We had £66 paid into our bank account from Ovo, and also £66 taken of our bill! Am waiting to see if they realise their error as don’t really relish hanging on the phone for however long.