Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

'Proper' brands v Supermarket versions

(189 Posts)
PinkCosmos Mon 17-Oct-22 11:29:12

I suppose this relates to the previous post in this specific forum about supermarket prices going up. Sorry if this topic has been mentioned before.

Has anyone tried supermarket own brands (of anything) rather than 'proper' brands.

I have always used Fairy washing up liquid but the big bottle has just gone up to £3 ! I thought I should give the Asda own brand a try. It was a slightly smaller bottle but it was £1.

The Asda own brand is absolutely fine. I don't like the smell as much but it cleans just as effectively as the Fairy one.

This is something I would never do in the past as the own brands seemed to be a bit substandard years ago. For example, I would never use Aldi own brand washing powder.

I wondered if anyone else has experience of some good swaps

MawtheMerrier Mon 17-Oct-22 11:32:22

I have found that some cheaper brands (including some own brands) of washing up liquid are thinner or more dilute than the big brands meaning you use more to get the same “bubbles”.

Own brands of other products may be fine- it’s a case of choosing the ones you like I suppose, and paying the extra if it is worth it.

ParlorGames Mon 17-Oct-22 11:33:10

Tesco non-bio laundry detergent is as good as Persil or Fairy. Aldi Magnum washing up liquid is as good as Fairy. Tesco peeled or chopped tinned tomatoes are as good as Napolina. Tesco tomato ketchup tastes the same as Heinz. Hope this helps and I am sure others can add to my list.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Oct-22 11:36:52

Waitrose essentials baked beans, tinned sweet corn and tinned tomatoes are as good if not better than the big brands.

I agree regarding Aldi’s magnum dishwasher tablets.

Zoejory Mon 17-Oct-22 11:38:30

Marks and Spencer's Baked Beans are cheaper than Heinz and they are just divine.

MerylStreep Mon 17-Oct-22 11:40:22

I think your probably the only person I’ve heard of who hasn’t tried own brands

As an aside, I’m very fussy about whites Lidl own soap powder is brilliant as is their polish, lime scale remover.
I don’t use colour catchers but I’m told that the ones in Pound Stretchers are brilliant.
I could go on but I’m boring myself now ?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 17-Oct-22 11:43:07

Apparently Morrisons Tomato soup is better than Heinz ( I don’t like either so I can’t say).

Ditto the baked beans.

Their Chicken Byriani is very good.

But most other stuff I buy is a named product but they are usually cheaper in Home Bargains.

PinkCosmos Mon 17-Oct-22 11:44:43

MawtheMerrier - I have found that some cheaper brands (including some own brands) of washing up liquid are thinner or more dilute than the big brands meaning you use more to get the same “bubbles”.

This is what I always used to think. That own brands were watered down versions. The Asda washing up liquid is just as thick as Fairy liquid

Zoejory Mon 17-Oct-22 11:45:53

Also M&S tuna in spring water. The difference in quality with the likes of John West is amazing.

kittylester Mon 17-Oct-22 11:49:02

I was confused by this being under Legal Pensions etc.

Kate1949 Mon 17-Oct-22 11:49:35

Aldi and Lidl baked beans are as good as, if not better, than Heinz. Likewise their tomato soup. We buy Aldi red label tea bags. They are great and I'm a fusspot with tea. We buy Aldi crisps, ham - lots of things really.

Katie59 Mon 17-Oct-22 11:52:18

SOME own brands are adequate and equal many are just cheap copies, washing up liquid, own brands do the job but you use more so you don’t save. Eco brands I avoid the ones I’ve tried perform very poorly.

Norah Mon 17-Oct-22 11:53:55

I believe "own brands" have morphed in many instance over the years, to made in same production beside "proper brands"

Money maker for the supermarket. Savings for the customer.

PinkCosmos Mon 17-Oct-22 12:14:27

kittylester

I was confused by this being under *Legal Pensions etc.*

I just copied off the previous post in this section as it is under 'legal, pensions and money'

M0nica Mon 17-Oct-22 12:44:37

My first option offot everything is the own brand. A few items, cannot think of anything specific, are poor substitutes, but generally i cannot see, taste or smell any difference.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Oct-22 12:58:33

Own brand for me, too.
Apart from a couple of things.

Theexwife Mon 17-Oct-22 12:59:15

Known brands should not be confused with the best brands, they are just brands belonging to companies with a bigger advertising budget, thus meaning more people buy them.

When something is advertised ‘as good as the leading brand’ it is often the leading brand in different packaging.

Jaxjacky Mon 17-Oct-22 13:03:25

Our only specific own brand products are tea bags, coffee and shampoo/conditioner. Other than that, I’ll try anything, even some of the value ranges, like tinned tomatoes, soft cheese for cheesecake and Greek yoghurt, to name a few, are fine.
I agree with the M&S baked beans Zoejury and I’ll try their tuna, thanks.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Oct-22 13:12:03

I prefer Tescos own brand of cocoa (not drinking chocolate) to Bournville Cocoa.

It is a whole £1 cheaper, but after years of refusing to even contemplate trying a supermarket version, I honestly like it much better.

HowVeryDareYou Mon 17-Oct-22 13:13:57

I've been using Asda's own brands of some things for years-

soap powder
toilet rolls
washing-up liquid & dishwasher tablets
cream cleaner, cleaning wipes
shower gel
baked beans, tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna, tinned custard, jam, all frozen veg
coffee, lemonade, cordials

silverlining48 Mon 17-Oct-22 13:15:38

Always had to watch the pennies so rarely bought brands and happy still buying own brands.
It’s my understanding from an ex employee friend that Heinz and co produce the same beans on the same lines, just with different labels. Even if that’s not true I can’t break the habits of a lifetime. My favourite supermarket is Aldi. Way before it went mainstream.

Oregano Mon 17-Oct-22 13:16:18

I am using Tesco own brand washing up liquid, the original not the lemon. I always look at the reviews when I'm doing my online shop and there were loads saying it was as good as Fairy liquid and I have to agree. I use lots of other own brands and find them pretty good too.

ElaineI Mon 17-Oct-22 13:21:24

I use a lot of own brands. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not so I try again with a different one. Have done this all my life.
Own brands are also going up in price though.

Kim19 Mon 17-Oct-22 13:29:44

I try all own brands of anything I use/eat and eject or adopt as a direct result of the sampling. I've also recently tried Asda's yellow labels. Some brilliant, some not so. Admittedly I don't read too many ingredients labels until after I've thought positive. That way I'm not prejudiced in advance.

Esspee Mon 17-Oct-22 13:40:12

The Lidl washing up liquid, Platinum is better than Fairy but frustratingly has been off the shelves for months. Their Formil liquid laundry detergent is superb.