Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Specified adult childcare

(3 Posts)
susytish Tue 11-Oct-22 16:39:02

Does anyone know about this? Martin Lewis mentions it on his Twitter page. Difficult to understand but if you are a grandparent looking after grandchild while parent at work you are entitled to claim something. It is to do with the National Insurance on their Child Benefit. Would love to hear from anyone doing this.

Annapops Tue 11-Oct-22 17:07:21

I found out about this two years after caring for GC two full days a week while parents worked. I have since cared for four more GC until they started school. My earlier two years qualified for back dated NI contributions and I then went on to claim 5 more years. As I retired from teaching early this helped enormously with missing NI contributions towards my state pension which I only received last year. When I retired I foolishly hadn't thought about missing NI at all and the effect it would have on my SP. I'm so pleased my DD drew my attention to it. I found claiming for it straightforward, all forms are on Gov website.

Grannynannywanny Tue 11-Oct-22 17:07:55

I don’t have personal experience of it but this is the link to the government website explaining it susytish

www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet