Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Have you had your fuel price increase?

(41 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 06-Oct-22 19:52:55

I got mine today.

Increase of 59% on last months. Which had already been increased by 80%.

I've queried it with them. The October increase was only supposed to be 27%.

SunshineSally Thu 06-Oct-22 19:57:35

Yes I got mine - up £10 per month. I’m with OVO.

GagaJo Thu 06-Oct-22 20:13:35

I've already emailed my fuel company. That increase is insane.

SunshineSally Fri 07-Oct-22 00:10:28

They must have made a mistake surely?

We have deliberately made an effort to reduce our energy consumption this year as they had increased our standing order to £154. Before Liz Truss had capped fees and introduced the fuel allowance, OVO wanted to increase it to £239! I left it at £154 and deliberately waited till Liz made her announcement. I then gave meter readings on 29th September. Today when I logged in it said my monthly charge should be increased to £164 which I’ve now agreed to. I don’t want to worry about big bills in the future. I don’t have a smart meter but am monitoring our usage. We do already have a £300 credit on our account so I’m not sure if that made a difference. Plus there’s only the two of us.
Hope you can get a more realistic figure x

biglouis Fri 07-Oct-22 00:21:04

Eon want to increase my payment by £10 a month but I am already £617 in credit! I am going to leave the DD the way it is at present to see how much I use over the winter. If Im still significantly in credit by march I will demand some of my credit back.

SunshineSally Fri 07-Oct-22 00:34:50

Yes I’m checking my balance every time I give my monthly readings. At least having a credit balance I know I have some leeway when the colder weather does kick in.

That’s a massive amount to be in credit though biglouis I thought my credit balance was huge lol!

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 00:52:59

OVO has increased electricity prices by 20% and gas prices by 40%.

My actual usage for the summer months was about £80-£90 a month. I'm obviously expecting my usage to increase over winter (mainly gas), so I'm expecting my bills to increase to about £200 a month.

I currently have quite a big surplus on my account, but OVO has changed its refund policy. It now expects customers to keep three months of expected usage in credit before it issues automatic refunds and doesn't pay interest on the credit either. What a scam!

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 00:54:28

I was £863.63 in credit at the beginning of October, but the maximum OVO would refund is £75.

SunshineSally Fri 07-Oct-22 01:01:42

OMG growstuff that’s disgusting! I didn’t know that. I wonder if all suppliers are doing the three months thing or if it’s just OVO?

I also wonder of that’s legal … wonder what Watchdog would make of that? ?

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 01:05:07

Apparently, I can ring up and speak to Customer Services if I want a bigger refund. I must admit I haven't tried that, so I might have to steel myself for being on hold for ages, listening to crappy music and messages and pressing numerous buttons.

PS. I read recently that OVO (the fourth biggest supplier) is in financial trouble, which I find a bit worrying.

MrsKen33 Fri 07-Oct-22 05:58:14

We are on a fixed rate until next April. A big shock then I expect .

GagaJo Fri 07-Oct-22 09:51:59

I've had a reply. Somewhere in their system (Bulb), it appears I've overpaid. I now actually have a CREDIT of over £800. Given that they are in special administration, I've asked for this to be refunded. I'll set it aside for fuel payments.

I've also told them to decrease the direct debit to the 27% increase figure set by the Energy Price Guarantee. Still high, but at least more manageable. This will take me right up to the £2,500 supposed annual cap. No idea how we're using that much because I'm very frugal with our usuage.

We have massively cut down on our usage. No heating yet at all and not for the foreseeable, with the way things are going. Although will have to use it occasionally because the house will get damp if not.

GagaJo Fri 07-Oct-22 09:52:32

growstuff

Apparently, I can ring up and speak to Customer Services if I want a bigger refund. I must admit I haven't tried that, so I might have to steel myself for being on hold for ages, listening to crappy music and messages and pressing numerous buttons.

PS. I read recently that OVO (the fourth biggest supplier) is in financial trouble, which I find a bit worrying.

Right, might try calling them if the email doesn't work then.

Good idea.

henetha Fri 07-Oct-22 09:55:32

I'm with OVO too. That is a bit worrying if they are in financial trouble.
But this morning £66 has been paid into my bank account.
No explanation, but it must be the monthly help which we are getting from the government I think.

dragonfly46 Fri 07-Oct-22 09:57:34

EON have reduced our monthly payment and when asked they said it was in line with the £400 from the government.

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 11:22:27

henetha

I'm with OVO too. That is a bit worrying if they are in financial trouble.
But this morning £66 has been paid into my bank account.
No explanation, but it must be the monthly help which we are getting from the government I think.

Same here! OVO is paying it back directly to bank accounts (unlike some other providers), so I've had £66 + £75 today, but I'm still over £700 in credit. My DD is £265 and I'm hoping I won't use that, so every month I'll have to apply for a refund, which seems a bit silly. The information on OVO's website isn't very clear.

growstuff Fri 07-Oct-22 11:24:34

If the price cap is 27%, how come OVO has increased its gas charges by 40%?

GagaJo Fri 07-Oct-22 12:20:35

Are you in a flat or a house growstuff? I do live in a house, but we're seriously frugal and I'm paying the same as my bloke in a big detached place. How is that the case?

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Oct-22 14:01:49

I find Octopus to be so good, explaining everything and allowing me the choice of leaving the £300 in credit or having it transferred to my bank account. I only paid around £35 this month as the £66 was debited from my account.

I know I will receive a very nasty shock next July when my fixed rate ends unless a miracle happens which I doubt.

Esspee Fri 07-Oct-22 14:05:36

EonNext has reduced my direct debit payment from £119.79 to £52.79 with no explanation as to why. As the difference is £67 I have to assume that is due to the payment made by the govt.

To those who are thinking I live in a box I am actually in a 4 bedroom semi. We have a Combi boiler for hot water and central heating and solar panels on the roof. The loft and underfloor are insulated but the walls are unfortunately solid.

If, like me, you are on the capped tariff but your company are increasing your direct debits despite the £67 a month subsidy why not simply change company?

sf101 Fri 07-Oct-22 14:29:55

My DD for October went from £70 to £4. I realise this is the first payment of the £400 and that any price increase from Oct 1st has not kicked in yet, but I am happy with that.

GagaJo Fri 07-Oct-22 14:55:08

I've requested my credit balance back. I'll be paying the £200+ DD but the balance I'd accrued will cover that for over 4 months.

NotAGran55 Fri 07-Oct-22 15:23:39

growstuff

If the price cap is 27%, how come OVO has increased its gas charges by 40%?

How much are they charging you per KWh?

Shinamae Fri 07-Oct-22 15:30:13

Charleygirl5

I find Octopus to be so good, explaining everything and allowing me the choice of leaving the £300 in credit or having it transferred to my bank account. I only paid around £35 this month as the £66 was debited from my account.

I know I will receive a very nasty shock next July when my fixed rate ends unless a miracle happens which I doubt.

I totally agree that octopus are very very good. I am fixed till next July as well ?

watermeadow Fri 07-Oct-22 15:33:12

Mine has risen from £65 to £75. I’ve had a credit balance all summer and the £66 we will all get has been added. Haven’t had the central heating on since April despite being old and living in a cold old house.