Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

I am wondering about Winter Fuel Payment

(4 Posts)
Beechnut Tue 04-Oct-22 10:49:58

I know if you live alone you get it all and if you are a couple you have an equal share. What happens if for instance three or more qualifying pensioners live together? (Perhaps siblings)

Cabbie21 Thu 06-Oct-22 08:39:09

The rules about payment refer to people who live alone, or who live with another eligible person. So I think that covers your question. The charts are a bit complicated this year because of the extra money for this winter only.
This link also includes extra information about Cold Weather Payments, extra help from the energy companies.
There is also extra government money included for those on certain benefits.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/grants-and-benefits-to-help-you-pay-your-energy-bills/

Daisymae Thu 06-Oct-22 09:19:33

There's an additional £300 per pensioner household in addition to the winter fuel allowance coming in Nov or Dec
www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022

notgran Thu 06-Oct-22 09:33:36

The money is per household. If there is one eligible person they get all the Winter Fuel Allowance plus this year the one off pensioner cost of living payment of £300. If there are 2 of you then it is divided between you as joint householders. More than 2 of you living in one household and all eligible is unusual and I think you would have to ask DWP. However the 3 of you as one household should be using the same gas and electricity so it wouldn't really need splitting 3 ways, surely?