Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

amazon prime, is it worth renewing?

(28 Posts)
karmalady Wed 24-Aug-22 18:43:58

I have been a member for quite a few years but for months now have not seen anything much to watch on prime. It used to be good value for me considering the items I bought but I don`t buy much now. I think the cost of renewing is to go up soon. What would you do?

Elizabeth27 Wed 24-Aug-22 18:49:02

If you do not use Amazon for deliveries for about a month they offer it again for 99p for a week, handy for deliveries. I haven't found anything to watch on prime that is worth the monthly cost.

crazyH Wed 24-Aug-22 18:49:42

I don’t know much about Amazon Prime, but my daughter has added me on to her Netflix Account. It’s fantastic. Films, Documentaries, Conedies. You name it Netflix has it

karmalady Wed 24-Aug-22 18:49:42

It is going up to £95 and renewal for me is at the end of february. There is a box that I have ticked in order to get a renewal reminder 3 days before renewal date. I can make my mind up then. Looking at my months stats, it will probably not be worth my renewing. There is a termination box

martinthebandit Wed 24-Aug-22 19:00:41

I quite like the free unlimited photo storage that comes with it.

Doodledog Wed 24-Aug-22 19:04:12

I find it worth if for the 'free' delivery and Amazon Music. I do watch the TV/Films sometimes, but not enough to justify the cost for that on its own (although Vikings was worth every penny). I'd be reluctant to cancel it.

Blossoming Wed 24-Aug-22 19:11:45

I pay monthly, Mr. B and I have a family group set up so we can both get the benefits for the price of one subscription.

biglouis Fri 26-Aug-22 16:37:37

I find it good value as being a disabled non driver I buy lots of "bits" from Amazon (plus stuff for my business) and they arrive quickly. Just bought some computer bits to upgrade one of the PCs. If I had to get a taxi into the city then hang around and queue/walk around it would be a lot more inconvenient. Plus I use the film and music streaming services. Worth the money.

karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 08:19:03

I am finding more and more of what I need locally, ten minutes walk away, previously I would have gone to amazon. Last week was printer ink and ml for ml, canon make, it was exactly the same price as on amazon. That was in a very good local stationers.

We have a local computer-fixing shop so any tiny screws and parts that I would need can be sourced, or fixed there

I am still on the fence but making sure that I watch anything that I would want to watch on prime eg no place like home. Our local library is excellent and there is a great source of audio books to download via library services for free plus available films on dvd, I have the players

I used to get my organic coffee beans via amazon but now get them direct and cheaper too with free p and p. I bought 3 things from prime last 30 days and one was sistema and I saw the same in my local hardware shop, cheaper and another was what I thought, bargain canon ink but was only 8ml compared to 15 ml locally

I am keeping an eye on what I buy and am pretty well weaned off amazon and suspect that I will be the one pocketing the £95 in february instead of renewing. All in all in will make a difference to my bank balance as I will have time to think about what I am buying while I walk to the shops

Luckygirl3 Thu 22-Sep-22 08:26:22

I keep mine on as I live very rurally - it probably saves me the sub in petrol. Delivery is speedy and I have not had to drive into town, find somewhere to park - a real problem - and limp across town.

Jaxjacky Thu 22-Sep-22 08:27:04

Tipped off by Martin Lewis I cancelled mine, then took it up again at the old price.
I use it for small bits and pieces, presents for the festives and have a regular deliver for a specific shampoo. Some films have been available early ion there, we also watch sport, particularly football.
I also find their delivery reliable and more considered than some others.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 22-Sep-22 08:38:24

We also live in a rural area and find it so handy, although we do try to send our order in once a week, rather than as soon as we think of something we need.
We also watch Prime Television and I also borrow books from the Prime ‘ library’ I can read up to 7 at a time.

We also have Alexa which I use for music and the radio.

So for us it’s well worth it.

Pittcity Thu 22-Sep-22 08:51:35

We renewed recently as we share a family account and get our moneys worth.

It's worth checking the Prime page now and then as they have offers from other companies. DS got a years free delivery with Deliveroo for being a Prime customer.

We have cancelled Netflix but you get so much more with Amazon.

JackyB Thu 22-Sep-22 09:03:11

I only took up Prime for the free delivery (which isn't always free, you have to check). Only recently did I realise that I could watch films and series, but the joy was taken out of this because of buffering and break-ups due to our lousy WiFi. (Germany is notorious for its poor internet service).

I did try out Amazon music last Christmas for background Christmas music but wasn't too impressed by the choice.

However, I shall continue to renew my Prime subscription just for the free and prompt delivery.

JackyB Thu 22-Sep-22 09:06:00

I hadn't realised there was a "Prime page". I just had a look at that and discovered I could get 10% off bookings via booking.com, so that might come in handy.

Redhead56 Thu 22-Sep-22 09:06:45

I have been Prime member for years I started when I had hip operation and couldn’t get out to shop. I still use it weekly for things I can’t buy in our shops it’s invaluable for certain products for me. Amazon fresh is excellent no dearer than the shops good quality free range poultry and game not easily available in our shops.
The film channels are ok and cheaper than the Sky subscription we were paying. We have watched many a good series on it that are not on other channels and Alexa is really useful. I think it’s worth it and will carry on its cost effective for us.

Rosalyn69 Thu 22-Sep-22 09:09:22

Yes it’s worth it. I get a lot of deliveries and we also watch of Prime programmes.

Ailidh Thu 22-Sep-22 09:17:50

It's worth it for me. I order a fair bit, and I also order the odd thing for my non-techy neighbours.

I enjoy Amazon music for when I'm walking, and I like the odd thing on Amazon Prime Video.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 15-Nov-22 19:52:11

Love the deliveries and Amazon Prime tv is just an extra. Really like my Amazon Alexa speakers. Just ask for a radio station or some music. There are kindle free or cheap books which I don’t use as I like a real book due to insomnia and trying to avoid screens. Also some books are actually cheaper to buy than the download which is surprising.

nadateturbe Tue 15-Nov-22 20:56:25

I cancelled my subscription and am still getting Amazon music. Should I not be?
I have found I still often get free delivery from many suppliers.
We didn't watch Prime TV much.

Instead we took a subscription for ITV HUB without adverts. Approximately £4 pm. There's lots we didn't watch because of all the ad breaks. It's made such a difference.

Floradora9 Tue 15-Nov-22 21:36:50

I got the offer of Marquee TV for 99p a month for three months. You now access this through Amazon Prime Video . Marquee TV lets you see theatre productions of plays opera ballets etc . It is usually about £9 a month so this was a great offer. We have just watched " The Magic Flute " filmed in the Royal Opera House London. We seldom watch the Amazon films I paid to see the latest Downton one but there is little we wouls watch but we sure use the free delivery aspect of Prime .

karmalady Fri 02-Dec-22 14:44:32

Finally, I have decided that I am going to cancel just before renewal date.

I sorted some things yesterday and I have dozens of dvds and even more cds. No shortage of films, documentaries and music, much better assortment than I am seeing on prime these days

Also because I am on a savings mission, to replenish my savings which depleted over 5 years while moving house and settling in. A time of austerity always has me reacting thus, belt tightening before it is absolutely needed.

If I do not have prime, then I will not be at all tempted by the `specials` for prime members. I have ample shops here, they sell everything I could possibly need. Being without prime will make me far more mindful about what I am actually buying ie the differentiation between want and need

I also have a lot of empathy for the very poor working conditions of amazon warehouse people.

Shantygirly Sun 11-Dec-22 13:47:30

I do the free 'month trial' every now and then when I know I have to use Amazon, just to save postage, and alternate with husband, we cancel a couple of days before payment is due!

We don't do TV, their music or Alexa stuff.

PamelaJ1 Sun 11-Dec-22 14:32:22

Thanks for this thread, I have just looked on my account page and decided to add my DD if I can.
Do you have to live in the same house?

Bea65 Sun 11-Dec-22 14:41:17

PamelaJI No not at all I'm on my daughters account and she lives in London..