Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

john lewis card is closing

(46 Posts)
karmalady Thu 11-Aug-22 12:36:40

I just had the e mail and yes it is legit. I am glad I kept my other cc, I only joined initially because amazon was on about not using visa.

I mostly pay online, via paypal or amazon and have removed the JL card from both. Any points below 500 on the JL account will disappear. So that is it for me as I have 1003 points, not worth using that card any more and cba to re-apply

Visgir1 Thu 11-Aug-22 12:57:25

I saw this a few months ago on a survey they did.
I was under the impression, every existing card holders it would be a direct transfer across? Including benefits.
Hummm?

kittylester Thu 11-Aug-22 13:07:27

I think it is changing the service provider not stopping.

karmalady Thu 11-Aug-22 13:12:17

yes service provider and you have to re-apply from scratch and yes the points 500 and below will disappear

the latest from mse

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/08/john-lewis-partnership-card-hsbc-newday/

Aldom Thu 11-Aug-22 14:57:16

If you are currently a John Lewis credit card holder you can apply now for the new card. If you apply before December 31st you will receive bonus points.

karmalady Sat 13-Aug-22 07:57:04

Oh thanks for that aldom. I will do that

kittylester Sat 13-Aug-22 08:05:03

Some people will be invited to apply to apply for the new card - I wonder who?

Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 08:55:57

The new provider is New Day rather than HSBC. They used to provide the Financial Services for House of Fraser and the Arcadia (Philip Greed’s) Group. My account was in credit, so I’m spending it, just in case there’s a problem getting it back,

Barmeyoldbat Sat 13-Aug-22 09:12:22

I think it will all go smoothly but I will look at applying early.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Aug-22 09:36:30

kittylester

Some people will be invited to apply to apply for the new card - I wonder who?

Me! when I log into my account.

Triple points for 90 days too.
I use the card as a charge card for most household expenditure and points soon mount up anyway, so the bonus ones will be great.

karmalady Tue 16-Aug-22 11:16:13

I had the new card email form this morning and really it was quite straightforward, it says exactly what information is needed. I did not do a DD for now, I pay off in full using my bank anyway. Might do the DD when I am used to that new card format

They upped my credit limit a lot, from 2k to 5k. I think I am happy with that really, I take great care of my card and it is good to pay for various goods and services via cc. I do not use my mobile phone for any transactions or banking, everything is online via my laptop

I hate these forms, with so much to read in terms and conditions but I did read them. I shall wait for the card to arrive and then add them to amazon and paypal, at least for the 90 days

Aldom Tue 16-Aug-22 20:47:43

I received my invitation to apply for the new JL Partnership card yesterday. I have completed the online application form and been accepted. Now have a temporary card and security number. I noticed that the temporary card cannot be used in Waitrose.

karmalady Tue 16-Aug-22 20:50:38

aldom, that temporary card is only valid for 7 days. I am going to wait for the permanent card to arrive

Aldom Tue 16-Aug-22 20:55:36

Yes, me too Karmalady smile

StephLauraine Mon 22-Aug-22 10:05:36

I had a letter from JL in June telling me about the transfer from HSBC then an email. I clicked on the link to apply and was asked for the ‘unique code’. I haven’t had a unique code; a friend has. I emailed Partnership Card asking if I should have had the UC and was told nothing useful except to check bin and junk and ‘you can still apply, we’ll just need a few more details. I’ve had a JL card for many years, never paid late and used the card regularly so am I not a “valued” customer? And what are the criteria for the ‘unique code’? I told my friend it must be her close proximity to Peter Jones - my local store closed. Not happy with JL

NanKate Mon 22-Aug-22 13:32:48

Please see my thread ‘I’m fuming’. It was about the difficulty I had when signing up for the new JL card in what they called 3 Easy Steps !! To be fair some other contributed did not have the trouble I had.

I put in a complaint to the JL financial services and am waiting a reply.

karmalady Tue 23-Aug-22 07:31:56

Almost done, my new pin has arrived and my card will arrive soon. I shall change the pin and test the card. then pay off the old card and destroy it. To be fair, this transfer for me, was seamless

Daisymae Tue 23-Aug-22 07:52:56

TBH until I read this thread I thought that holders would just transfer over, having only skimmed through the emails. I am in the same position now, just waiting for the new card to arrive. The process was straight forward, once I actually got the ball rolling. Thanks for the nudge!

Saxifrage Wed 24-Aug-22 09:53:58

I also now have my pin but no sight of new card. Has anyone got the actual card yet?

Aldom Wed 24-Aug-22 19:33:22

StephLauraine the unique code is sent to you by text message when you are at the relevant stage of filling up the form online. I received mine this way and completed the form. My JL card is on its way to me. smile

karmalady Fri 26-Aug-22 06:51:06

RM strike starts today, no chance now of the card coming soon

Aldom Mon 29-Aug-22 11:34:50

Karmalady I too expected the RM strike to affect the prompt delivery of my new John Lewis card. No such thing. The card and the pin, arrived last Saturday. smile

karmalady Tue 30-Aug-22 15:13:35

I hate the card and the clumsy account so have closed it without using it. I don`t need the high limit anyway

I had to go around the world to activate it, which I got to in the end and my username was not what I wanted. I decided that this was not good so I hit the cancel button. I shall stick with what I have in a real bank

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-Aug-22 15:56:32

well, I am deeply offended by JL! I have had an email informing me that the current accounts close at end of October, and when I went online to pay, there were two sections; one for the existing cards, and one for the new one. I have not received an email invitation for a new card. I checked my credit score just in case something had gone awry, but nope all ok. I pay in full when I use it. Oh well, it is their loss.

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-Aug-22 16:14:54

Crikey, big brother is alive and kicking!! As I clicked the laptop for my post )above) my mobile pinged; a text from John Lewis telling me they had just emailed me an invitation to apply for the new card........shock