Gransnet forums

House and home

My airing cupboard…

(9 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 03-Dec-22 15:10:01

When I had my Combi boiler fitted nearly 20 years ago (changed it two years ago for more energy efficient one and a 12 year warranty but it did cost me £2200) anyway I got a small airing cupboard heater installed in it and also a few years later I got a small radiator put in it, I have strung two lots of washing lines across it and find it invaluable now for drying everything, clothes, towels because at the moment the heating is on quite a bit.I’ve just put towels in it off the line still quite damp but by the morning they will be dry…. when I don’t use the central heating anymore the airing cupboard will be kept quite warm with the little airing cupboard heater…

CraftyGranny Sat 03-Dec-22 15:21:24

Shinamae I'd love an airing cupboard. I do have a wooden pulley type clothes airer (I don't know what they are called) in the same room as the boiler. I hang clothes on hangers and they too dry overnight

AreWeThereYet Sat 03-Dec-22 15:26:21

Shinamae You may need to watch for damp and mould - all that moisture in a small space - if you've just started doing that. I leave mine either in the bathroom or spare bedroom overnight and most things are dry by the morning. Only really towels that take longer. Then they go in the airing cupboard (with radiator) to make sure they're dry.

I did used to dry Mr A's cycling shirts in the airing cupboard on a hanging rail but they were almost dry when they came out of the wash anyway.

Calendargirl Sat 03-Dec-22 15:30:22

I had a new boiler fitted nearly 3 years ago, didn’t have a combi one. So glad I still have an airing cupboard complete with a dinky radiator. Only put my laundry in when it is well dry, but very useful storage for towels, bedding etc.

Blossoming Sat 03-Dec-22 16:26:37

I have a big walk in airing cupboard that houses the boiler and the hot water tank. I don’t usually dry clothes in there but it’s wonderful to store seasonal clothes, towels and bedding. It isn’t damp and I moth proof it regularly.

Witzend Sat 03-Dec-22 16:34:10

Our small airing cupboard contains the hot water tank and a stack of handy hot pipes where we nearly always drape all socks and pants to dry, plus anything else small.
Funny how the sheets and towels never get remotely damp!

Might add that we dry masses of things indoors, and have never had any sign of damp.

Shinamae Sat 03-Dec-22 16:34:43

CraftyGranny

Shinamae I'd love an airing cupboard. I do have a wooden pulley type clothes airer (I don't know what they are called) in the same room as the boiler. I hang clothes on hangers and they too dry overnight

We had one of those when I was a child it was kept in the room where our boiler was but I mean that was a boiler that had to be fed by Coke so I don’t imagine it was very clean but that’s what we used back in the day probably early 60s… (my dad called that room the “stoke hole” he was ex-Royal Navy so wonder if that’s where the term came from)..

GreyhairedWarrior Sat 03-Dec-22 16:36:50

I have a small airing cupboard with its own heater in it. I use it to dry anything I don't want to put through the dryer, such as delicates. It's very economical. It's underneath a laundry chute that comes down from the bathroom and lands on a shelf, so there isn't dry washing in there to get damp. I've never seen any signs of mould.

Shinamae Sat 03-Dec-22 16:37:43

AreWeThereYet

Shinamae You may need to watch for damp and mould - all that moisture in a small space - if you've just started doing that. I leave mine either in the bathroom or spare bedroom overnight and most things are dry by the morning. Only really towels that take longer. Then they go in the airing cupboard (with radiator) to make sure they're dry.

I did used to dry Mr A's cycling shirts in the airing cupboard on a hanging rail but they were almost dry when they came out of the wash anyway.

Been doing it for years and no sign of damp thankfully. I would not dream of putting wet clothes in,they usually have come off the line and are just damp…🤓