Gransnet forums

House and home

Doorbell rings but nobody there

(12 Posts)
AussieGran59 Mon 28-Nov-22 00:01:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorthFace Mon 28-Nov-22 01:05:03

Your doorbell is probably set to work on the frequency 433MHz. That’s a commonly used frequency for all types of equipment that require little power e.g. remote controls for audio visual equipment, wireless headphones, baby monitors, light dimmers, garage doors and car key fobs.

As so many different types of devices use this frequency, it is more susceptible to interference. It could be caused by something you are using in your own home or something being operated by a neighbour or someone else nearby.

Check the operating manual for the doorbell. It may be possible to change the frequency.

homeswhiz.co.uk/how-to-change-wireless-doorbell-frequency/

biglouis Mon 28-Nov-22 01:37:53

I have the opposite type of problem.

Sometimes I hear someone knock on the door - usually when I am in bed. It can happen at very anti social hours like 6am or earlier. However when I check the cctv and ring doorbell next day there is no one on any of the cameras. So Ive come to the conclusion that its either my imagination, some other sound, or someone who is very good at evading cctv.

Needless to say I dont open it!

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 04:08:31

Biglouis it could well be auditory hallucinations.
I have them. It’s usually the door being knocked or the dog barking.
Usually the latter.
They happen when you are just waking up or falling asleep.
(Hypnogogic or hypnopompic)
To me it feels as if my mind has ‘recorded’ the sound and is playing it back.
It’s happened since I’ve been taking strong painkillers.
My husband sometimes hears my voice when I haven’t spoken (also half asleep).
It’s most odd.

AussieGran59 Mon 28-Nov-22 05:48:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Nov-22 08:15:50

My wireless doorbell kept ringing but when I opened the door there was never anyone there. After a few times I noticed that my neighbour had always just got out of his car and locked it with the key fob.

I tried changing the doorbell frequency but in the end I just got rid of the bell and relied on the brass doorknocker instead.

nanna8 Mon 28-Nov-22 08:17:37

When I was very young, about 6 or 7, we used to play Knock down Ginger and knock on doors and run away. Annoying and silly but we enjoyed it.

Floradora9 Mon 28-Nov-22 21:44:18

Neighbour next door had a problem setting his new fancy doorbell . He took it over the road where another neighbour set it for him. Problem was someone pressing the bell over the road would make our next door neighbour's bell ring.

Auntieflo Mon 28-Nov-22 22:05:06

We often used to get our battery operated doorbell ringing, but it was a different tune to the one from our programmed one. We could change something inside the bell, but it didn't always work.
After years , we have given in and had an old fashioned bell hard wired in.

SpringyChicken Mon 28-Nov-22 22:19:18

This brought back memories. lol.

We bought my mum a wireless doorbell but before fitting it for her, we tried out all the chimes , one by one, at our house. We noticed from our kitchen window that the neighbour next door opened her front door repeatedly, looked down her drive and then closed the door. The penny dropped that mum's doorbell was activating the neighbour's chime because both systems were factory set to the same frequency. The instruction booklet mentioned this might happen and there were several buttons in it that we could adjust (8 or 16 from memory). We could move any number we wished to set another frequency for mum's bell. Most people don't bother to change the factory setting, hence the problem.

hollysteers Mon 28-Nov-22 23:34:06

My overflowing gutters used to set off my doorbell.
I joked with my son that the postman always rang fifty times…

Hetty58 Mon 28-Nov-22 23:38:07

We kept getting a different chime on ours - and it turned out that somebody further down the road had moved in - and bought the same bell! (I got a Ring doorbell soon after.)