Gransnet forums

House and home

Need a new vacuum cleaner…

(20 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 22-Nov-22 19:11:02

This one has good reviews and is about £170 can anybody give me feedback on this one or maybe recommend another one, corded or cordless but about that price.. Thanks in anticipation..

Shinamae Tue 22-Nov-22 19:12:30

Actually £179.99..

Farzanah Tue 22-Nov-22 19:19:53

Miele cylinder corded cleaners. They last for ever, whereas cordless ones have limited battery life however much you pay.

AreWeThereYet Tue 22-Nov-22 19:29:03

I'd like to know about the Shark Anti Hair Wrap too. I have long hair and I spent last weekend taking apart all my Dyson attachments to get all the hair out. If the Shark actually works I might get one if/when the Dyson dies.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Nov-22 19:29:39

I have a similar Shark, very pleased with it.

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Nov-22 19:34:20

I have a corded Miele but not the upright type. I have had it for 20 years + and at this rate, it will "see me out!".

Sago Tue 22-Nov-22 19:59:07

Miele corded too, they’re fabulous.

BlueSapphire Tue 22-Nov-22 20:02:48

I have a Shark cordless, different model and more expensive, which I think is brilliant.

Joseanne Tue 22-Nov-22 20:25:20

I have this one.
Does anyone else have a problem with hair (mainly from dog) getting wrapped round the orange roller and collecting underneath it? I have to take it apart frequently to dig it out.

Georgesgran Tue 22-Nov-22 20:28:08

I’ve a similar Shark, but corded. Far better than the GTech which I now keep upstairs for lighter duties.
Best vacuum I ever had was a Sebo.

Shinamae Tue 22-Nov-22 21:55:54

Well it’s in my Amazon basket I think I’ll just go and pay for it,thank you all for your advice….🤓

Nannagarra Tue 22-Nov-22 22:09:29

We have a corded Sebo and a cordless Shark - both work well.

Tizliz Tue 22-Nov-22 22:11:07

Joseanne

I have this one.
Does anyone else have a problem with hair (mainly from dog) getting wrapped round the orange roller and collecting underneath it? I have to take it apart frequently to dig it out.

Yes, all the time. Real pain

mokryna Tue 22-Nov-22 22:19:40

Miele cylinder corded cleaner with beater, lasts for years but more expensive.

seadragon Tue 22-Nov-22 22:22:10

Georgesgran

I’ve a similar Shark, but corded. Far better than the GTech which I now keep upstairs for lighter duties.

I bought this www.hooverdirect.co.uk/products/breeze-evo-pets-upright-vacuum-cleaner in a hurry when my trusty 25 year old Sebo developed a problem and a visit from my sister was imminent. I have struggled with the new stick type vacuums which seem to come apart in my hands and are impossible for me to reassemble.... The user instructions on my new Hoover were unsatisfactory but an online video was a big help. I am delighted with it though I must get my Sebo fixed to use upstairs. It took me a wee while to twig the flexible long hose must be clipped under a hook round the back at the bottom and it is a bit of a faff to change it but it fairly cleans the pet hairs and all the dust DH tramps in and is light and easy to use otherwise. I guess I'm too late for OP but, if not, this Hoover is available on Amazon....and I wanted to acknowledge a fellow Sebo fan

Shinamae Tue 22-Nov-22 22:25:11

seadragon

Georgesgran

I bought this www.hooverdirect.co.uk/products/breeze-evo-pets-upright-vacuum-cleaner in a hurry when my trusty 25 year old Sebo developed a problem and a visit from my sister was imminent. I have struggled with the new stick type vacuums which seem to come apart in my hands and are impossible for me to reassemble.... The user instructions on my new Hoover were unsatisfactory but an online video was a big help. I am delighted with it though I must get my Sebo fixed to use upstairs. It took me a wee while to twig the flexible long hose must be clipped under a hook round the back at the bottom and it is a bit of a faff to change it but it fairly cleans the pet hairs and all the dust DH tramps in and is light and easy to use otherwise. I guess I'm too late for OP but, if not, this Hoover is available on Amazon....and I wanted to acknowledge a fellow Sebo fan

I just had a look out of curiosity and….🤷‍♀️

Hetty58 Tue 22-Nov-22 22:27:55

Shinamae, I've got the Shark cordless (in the cupboard) - and I'd say, don't bother. Yes, it does pick up and clean very well. No, it's not easy to use - it's heavy - so I've gone back to my trusty workshop vac, a Karcher bagged cylinder.

I only have to manoeuvre the hose, pipe and brush head. It follows on wheels. I have a back problem but I'm stronger than most people in their late sixties.

I do wish I'd bought the other version, the upright with hose extension, instead.

CraftyGranny Wed 23-Nov-22 09:58:05

Joseanne

I have this one.

Yes I do too.
I always check the orange roller, just in case.
Otherwise I think Shark is much better than Dyson for vacuum cleaners.

Shinamae Sat 26-Nov-22 16:51:32

Well I’ve just use my shark for the first time and yes it is heavy compared to the Halo vacuum cleaner I had but the suction is much better and I’m sure it’s done a better clean, the cord is very long considering I only have a small area to clean,and the dust collection is not very satisfactory because as soon as you vacuum the dust clings to the sides and you can’t see when it’s full and the container is small but it does pick up the hair brilliantly so I think it’s just a matter of getting used to the weight. It is brilliant to store as well I’ve been able to put it in my utility room rather than in my lounge/bedroom where I had to keep the Halo…

vegansrock Sun 27-Nov-22 07:53:05

I have a Halo and it’s rubbish, I just use it for a quick runaround.I still have my Miele dog and cat, which I use for a deep clean.