Gransnet forums

House and home

Octopus and low use points scheme

(26 Posts)
BigBertha1 Mon 14-Nov-22 22:38:41

Had an e mail tonight offering us the opportunity to lower our usage of gas and electricity between 5 and 6 tomorrow to earn discount points. I opted in and am now wondering how to handle it. Go to the pub? Sit and read by candlelight? Go to bed? What do you think?

GrannySomerset Mon 14-Nov-22 22:45:49

I think it wants you not to cook, run dishwasher or washing machine, etc. I don’t think having the heat and light on is a problem, they are just trying to spread the loading. Worth a try.

SpringyChicken Mon 14-Nov-22 23:24:37

We're on a five month trial with OVO to reduce electricity consumption between 4pm and 7pm. We'll receive £20 off each month's bill if we use less than 12.5% of our total units during these hours.

We are retired so I'm cooking mostly at lunchtime instead of the evening and using the washing machine and dishwasher outside of these hours. We have barely used the gas CH this winter. When we do, we'll avoid these times because of the electric pump. We are watching TV and switching on lights as normal.

Hetty58 Mon 14-Nov-22 23:31:40

BigBertha1, just one hour? I'd turn everything off and go for a lovely walk. It's the right time for the dog's evening trot about anyway! I'm getting solar panels, so I'll have to make best use of them in the middle of the day by using the dishwasher and washing machine etc. then.

karmalady Tue 15-Nov-22 06:21:28

I decided not to opt in to the octopus scheme. I already do what I can to conserve energy and my usage is quite low. I could not go any lower without detriment to my well-being

I do think it is a good incentive scheme for many

M0nica Tue 15-Nov-22 06:57:08

It is a problem, because you have to lower your consumption to benefit, and if your energy usage is low in the time span covered the opportunities are limited.

You could go round the house, looking in every room for things you do not normally notice, switch chargers off, unplug the tv, switch off computers, switch off the microwave, fridge, freezer, these should be OK for an hour providing you do not open the door, cooker. All these appliances have clocks, lights etc that are always on. But whether all this wholesale switching off and then going round and switching on again is worth the reduction in bill. I am not sure.

Katie59 Tue 15-Nov-22 07:06:19

Not rocket science, just don’t use high power appliances during that time, cooker, washing machine, tumble drier. Fairly easy for some, for families much more difficult.

M0nica Tue 15-Nov-22 07:16:10

But Katie59 that only applies if you use these appliances at that time, and I would think most people do not. 5.00pm-6.00pm, is when people come home from work and put the lights on and boil a kettle. If 10 million families have someone return from work and just switch their lights on, that is going to cause a sudden surge, then they put the kettle on, or pop a ready meal in the microwave. This is where the savings will be made for manypeople.

Kim19 Tue 15-Nov-22 08:42:37

I think it's a reasonable initiative for companies to put out. I would certainly give either of the ones I've read here a go.

Katie59 Tue 15-Nov-22 08:47:40

Peak time is 4-7pm when people get home have a cuppa and cook a meal. I’m sure those that can cook earlier in the day will, those that work can’t do that, you can’t microwave cook every day nor do you want to wait until after 7 for a hot drink.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Nov-22 09:07:42

Yes just got Mr B to check his emails, so we usually eat at around 6. so today I will organise things differently, it’s just an hour so it will be easy.

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Nov-22 09:51:17

I wish our supplier offered this too, I’d sign up.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Nov-22 10:28:02

Katie when I was working I used a slow cooker, chuck it in and cook, did that nosy days so a meal was ready when we got home.

M0nica Tue 15-Nov-22 10:48:35

The other side is that if you do not use much electricity between those hours, short of turning all the power off at the board, it will be very difficult to reduce your power consumption enough to qualify for any rebate.

For those coming home from work, to come home after along day and sit in a cold house, unable to eat, drink, have a bath/shower, I suspect for many they would rather just pay full price for their power and be able to come home to a warm house, have a shower and their evening meal.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Nov-22 11:13:23

Monica it’s just an hour, many don’t leave work. Until 5 or r.3o and then it’s the commute home, if it was me I would stop to do a bit of shopping or even have a coffee. It’s an hour for goodness sake

M0nica Tue 15-Nov-22 12:16:57

Barmyoldbat Yesterday, for reasons beyond my control I had to drive out of our local town, which is a big employment centre just before and just after 5.00pm, and I can tell you there were more people going home then than at any later time, 6.00pm for example.

What is more because of road works I took quite a circuitous road home and as I went through the large area of housing surrounding this town, cars were peeling off left right and centre into the housing estates, so many were home on or just after 5.00.

As for doing a bit of shopping or having a coffee, all I can say is that when I left work I was dead tired and just wanted to get home, stopping for a coffee or shop was the last thing I would want to do.

mrswoo Tue 15-Nov-22 12:18:09

I'm with eon-next and have had a similar email asking me to reduce energy use between 5pm and 6pm today. I've signed up and if I manage to fulfil the mission I will earn the princely sum of £1.50. Well, its worth a try.
Luckily our local library is close by and open so I shall be heading there.

joannapiano Tue 15-Nov-22 12:51:41

Eon Next have promised us £1.93. Wow. We are taking part, though. I am re heating spaghetti Bol on the gas hob, for tea.

LizzieDrip Tue 15-Nov-22 19:00:03

I’m with British Gas and have read that they are ‘considering’ this scheme. I wish they’d get a move on! I’d sign up like a shot.

Cs783 Tue 15-Nov-22 19:07:39

My challenge was with Eon 5-6 pm tonight - 71p if we reduced our (estimated) 3 kw by 1 kw. I don’t know whether we get 71p extra off our bill or just saved it.

Cs783 Tue 15-Nov-22 19:32:59

Ah yes mrswoo it does say ‘earn’ so extra pennies on top of any savings from reduced usage

Norah Tue 15-Nov-22 19:57:48

Sounds reasonable.

Cut use in busy (some people) hours, save a bit of money.

Our home won't cool off in just an hour, I can cook any time.

I never use washer, dryer, iron, or dishwasher during that hour.

I'd find that a fun experiment, if it's offered.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Nov-22 20:47:18

I had a long day at the hospital for tests with nothing to eat or drink beforehand. We got home in heavy rain about 4 ish, the first thing we did was light the log burner and put the dinner on it to cook and then at 5 we turned everything we could off and settled down with a book until the food was cooked. No idea how much we saved but it was worth a go and not so difficult with a log burner

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:33:20

I was asking somewhat ruefully and I do understand the principles and that it isn't rocket science thankyou. We just had dinner later than usual and listened to music and read. Had we decided to go out for a meal that would have negated any saving. We are happy to experiment. This not just about the bill but shortages in supply. Boring to walk incidentally, pouring with rain and I'm still struggling with my spinal stenosis and semi paralysed leg. Just saying

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Nov-22 22:33:52

Pouring not boring.