Gransnet forums

House and home

Savings after moving house

(29 Posts)
truman Mon 07-Nov-22 10:36:32

After moving house how much in savings do people have left. I am just trying to estimate how much to use on buying things for the house and savings in the bank. We are both retired so no wages coming in but we have the SP and a private pension each (but not huge ones). I am really interested in people who are retired and moved house paid stamp duty and all the other bills and what they had left for everything in the bank. We are moving soon and we had to put more towards buying the house to get the one we wanted.
Not much to do inside the house. It does not require a new kitchen or bathroom. Carpets are fine. Just new wardrobes to buy as mine here are fitted. New blinds, loft ladder and boarding, a couple of extra sockets. New side gate and a bit of fencing. We will obviously keep some money for emergencies. I am just curious as people have different ideas of the amount required.

grandMattie Mon 07-Nov-22 10:40:28

If I get what I’m looking for, I shall be quite well off as the sale price of my house is about twice the price of an apartment.
So it’s difficult for me to judge.

VB000 Mon 07-Nov-22 10:47:26

If you mean how much the new house will cost in improvements, it's a case of how long is a piece of string... fitted wardrobes are expensive, but Ikea ones (or equivalent), installed by a handyman would save you a lot of money.

We had Hillary's blinds and really pleased with them, after getting the Black Friday discount last year. However, someone we know got blinds online (just put in their measurements) and a handyman fitted them. The cost was the same for the whole house, as my 3 windows! Wish I had known!

With your loft, fencing etc, the cost all depends on dimensions. The electric sockets, depends whereabouts they are etc, so difficult to price them up without getting an electrician to quote.

Georgesgran Mon 07-Nov-22 10:50:20

It’s hard to say - a bit like how long is a piece of string. We can never second guess what the future holds or how other circumstances might change - a new car, special holiday or replacing a bath with an accessible shower, etc. Would credit or a bank loan be difficult to secure if funds were needed urgently? On the other hand, there’s the ‘ Can’t take it with you’ school of thought.
I was surprised (not sure that’s the right word) to read today how many adults have barely £100 in savings. It was always said to keep at least 3 months income in reserve, but is that now 3 months pension, or 3 months of what you would’ve earned?

Nannarose Mon 07-Nov-22 11:34:56

Impossible to say without the kind of financial detail you may not wish to post here.
But I am replying because I always advise people to future-proof their houses. Make sure that it as well insulated as possible. Consider how it is heated and whether to make any changes. If you are making new curtains, then interline as well as line them. Also make sure that you consider any future mobility problems - wheelchair access, downstairs bathroom etc. It's often easier to do this before you settle in.

My mother used to say that you could always (unless in absolute penury) save 10% of your income; I have always tried to do that.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 07-Nov-22 11:41:10

I think you need to price up any improvements and items you need to buy before you put in an offer on the house.

Then you know you will have enough left to do the work. If you also want some money left over for savings you would probably need to look for a cheaper property, homework is needed before looking at any property, some people are happy to have £10k as savings, some people are happier with £30k. Everyone has different ideas.

Lathyrus Mon 07-Nov-22 11:43:11

Whatever you think you will need to spend n the new house, you’ll need at least double that if not treble.

In my experience 🙁

Fernbergien Mon 07-Nov-22 11:55:15

You are quoting the things just had done in our fairly new house. Curtains and blinds plus other stuff including new kitchen . Didn’t like it that much but it was quite smart but the crunch came when realised how badly set up it was. Top cupboards up by ceiling and f/f behind door. All replaced . Lovely. Also new furniture and loft floor and ladder.tAnyhow there were other smaller bits and pieces. Minus kitchen think have spent about£10k. But just a guess. Enjoy your new home. We have taken time to get sorted. PM if you want to.

wildswan16 Mon 07-Nov-22 11:57:39

I think you need to decide how much money you want to keep in the bank, for emergencies and everyday expenses. Then set yourself a limit on how much you spend on the new house. If you can't do everything you want all at once then choose the most important things.

Oldwoman70 Mon 07-Nov-22 12:01:56

When I moved I thought the house had everything I needed, it wasn't until I lived here for a few months that I decided some things weren't as I wanted and am now spending money to change them (not all at once!!).

Grantanow Mon 07-Nov-22 12:29:30

We spent more than we thought we would spend! Better to over-budget I think.

karmalady Mon 07-Nov-22 12:42:04

new build. Flooring, bedroom storage, shutters and blinds, door bell, door curtain and rail, outdoor storage, garden from bare soil and brick. New multifuel stove. It went on and on, bathroom storage, extra storage for kitchen. Soap dishes, towel holders. Lately had the whole interior painted as builders use thin coats of cheap paint

no maintenance costs as 2 year snagging for new build but I am starting to save 10% a year for future maintenance

It was an easy £30k spend over 3 years. I have finished spending

Joseanne Mon 07-Nov-22 13:15:52

Yes that figure sounds about right karmalady for cosmetic stuff and a few fittings. The same again for a new kitchen.

yogitree Mon 07-Nov-22 13:28:44

Over the 8 years we have been here we have easily spent £25K+ getting it set out how we want it. It has only one bedroom and the windows and kitchen still need done, but unless we win the lottery, that won't be happening. All of the decorating we did ourselves, we had new flooring/carpet, shower-room re-fitted and garden studio built and installed. We still try to do most jobs ourselves (guttering/painting/garden layout/gardening etc) but know that those days are numbered.

Franbern Tue 08-Nov-22 11:10:13

Yes, I agree with Karmalady spend on moving into another property. I have been astonished when I have added up what I have spent in my flat. So, fitted wardrobes (I knew these would be needed as - like the OP - that is what I was leaving.). However, good quality work costs so much these days and I had under-estimated how much these would cost - am absolutely delighted with what I now have.

Carpet throughout the flat up - replaced with Karndean in most areas - expensive, but will never need replacing. Curtains and blinds throughout. I did take the decision with the curtains for my living room and bedroom that, as this would be last time in my life I would ever purchase curtains I would pick the material BEFORE looking at its price. Worked out well - I have lovely curtains, cost me a fortune!!! The guest bathroom here looked fine - but when I tried to use the corner bath found it so tiny that could only sit up in that. To put in a full size bath meant re-figuring the whole room and subsequent cost. Garage door had to be electrified - I love it now. My final biggest expenditure was on a wonderful, designed by me, kitchen. The first time in my 80 plus years Ihave ever had a brand new kitchen. I still find myself standing in the doorway admiring it.

So, all in all, with some new furniture also, not far short of that thirty grand mark, over the three year I have been here.

I like to have something in reserve for that BIG emergency - although my AC laugh at me in this regard pointing out that any such emergency they would be happy to sort out. But, I can far too well remember days gone past when (with hubbie not able to work due to MS), we we worried about every penny and never had money for home repairs, even to do them ourselves.

Think the question asked by the OP is really a 'how long is a piece of string' question. But I really would say that the first year or so after moving to a different property money just disappears.

Cabbie21 Tue 08-Nov-22 17:12:39

Do what is needed to keep you warm and comfortable, but shop around.
We had to replace the windows but it made the house so much warmer.
We ran out of money quite soon as we had not yet sold our previous house. We had needed new boiler, kitchen and windows. Later we replaced some floors. I wish now we had done more before we got too settled as now we have got too much stuff again, making decorating very difficult.

SueDonim Tue 08-Nov-22 21:56:04

Very much what Karmalady said. We moved into a new-build in August. We’ve spent a fortune already! As Karma said, things like loo roll holders, coat hooks, door numbers and window coverings. I’ve also had two extra kitchen units added to get more storage and had some IKEA bookcases put in. This house is smaller than our old place so we couldn’t bring much of our furniture as it was too large.

We did treat ourselves to making the garage door electronically powered. I found it almost impossible to open anyway and I figured neither of us will get any younger so just go for it and get the use of it.

I’d say tot up what you think you’ll need to spend, then double it.

FlordyBrody44 Thu 17-Nov-22 20:23:41

I know how I would save money if I were you. You should do some things yourself. It's not as hard as it might seem. After all, much furniture can be made even with the means at hand. For example, I learned how to make my own clothes rack here. The result is a unique and beautiful hanger I spent about 10 dollars to make.

biglouis Sat 19-Nov-22 08:16:09

The people who say they got in a local handyman in are right. I have found a good one on my local network and use him for small jobs in and around the home. No VAT to pay so I dont get ripped off and he does a gond job.

biglouis Sat 19-Nov-22 08:20:02

gond job = good job!

Dont forget about the perfectly decent stuff you can often get second user on sites like Ebay, Etsy, Vinty, auction rooms etc and local car boots. None of my furniture is new and I wouldnt want anything "new" as it isnt the quality

Forsythia Thu 24-Nov-22 09:17:07

We moved earlier this year to a bungalow. So much warmer than our old draughty house but we did replace the front door which was draughty. Has made a big difference. We have an ongoing painting of walls to brighten it all up. Doing it ourselves so no cost to a third party. Have found good local plumbers, electrical, and gardeners. We try to keep costs reasonable.

Pittcity Thu 24-Nov-22 10:39:01

You need to factor in annual expenditure, insurances, boiler service etc. Also as you get older you need to have help with things that you used to be able to do yourself such as decorating and gardening. A cushion in the bank for emergencies and the increase in the price of living room.
Once you feel you can cover these eventualities I'd not worry about extra savings in the bank. Life's too short spend and enjoy.

Pittcity Thu 24-Nov-22 10:40:29

Edit. "...price of living too."

Oh for an edit button!!!

Caleo Thu 24-Nov-22 10:43:07

I look at Rightmove bungalows and have a priority list for improvements, if I should ever move house.

Top priority is garden fence and gate for the dog. Next, bathroom plumbing to suit my preference for shower and sitz bath. Next: hard floors throughout for ease of cleaning. Next: clean decor including in kitchen, but I don't mind some decor others consider "dated".

karmalady Thu 24-Nov-22 10:46:30

I have opened a special savings account, especially for maintenance going forward. I will save that 1% of new house cost over the next 12 months and after that will save whatever inflation is, so that my maintenance pot is always 1% equivalent of what my house is worth at present day

Yes life is short but spend? too many did and have reached old age not able to afford a comfortable life. All those cruises?