Gransnet forums

House and home

Sewing machine help

(28 Posts)
SusieB50 Sun 06-Nov-22 11:59:43

I need to buy a new sewing machine I gave mine to my DD, I was once an avid sewer, making many of DC clothes and for myself . For many years since then I have only done mending , and simple alterations. Can anyone recommend a simple to use basic machine please as I feel I would like to have another go -starting with cushion covers !

karmalady Sun 06-Nov-22 12:11:11

my advice is not to get too basic Susie. You sound as though you will get the sewjo and will fly. What do you want in a sewing machine? Some ideas

Portable or not

Some variety of stitches

Automatic buttonhole

ability to take a walking foot as many fabrics today are stretch and knit

Personally I would go to a sewing machine shop and look closely at their trade-ins, that they have serviced

I have bernina 380 and bernina record vintage as I love mechanical. I bought the latter second hand from a bernina engineer, fully refurbished

I would not get too computer based. I love both these machines of mine and have gone up and up the sewing machine scale from singer treadle that I used at 9. Bernina is, as far as I am concerned, the pinnacle and can handle any fabric

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Nov-22 12:12:25

When I started sewing again after many years I went to a large branch of John Lewis on a quiet morning and spent an hour with the assistant trying different machines at various price points and levels of complexity.

I settled on the Janome 7025 which I’ve been very pleased with.

V3ra Sun 06-Nov-22 12:26:03

No help with machines, but my friend is an avid sewer.
She goes to a sewing class once a week and takes her own machine.
She gets help with her current project if required and a lot of camaraderie from the other people there.
That might be something that would interest you to look into?

SusieB50 Sun 06-Nov-22 14:04:04

A visit to John Lewis sounds good , may have to go to Oxford Street though . I have thought about sewing groups/ classes but wonder if I’m too inexperienced . Thanks for the suggestions - off to John Lewis I think !

J52 Sun 06-Nov-22 15:00:01

I have two Janome machines, both from JL, at different times.
They are excellent and do a fair variety of stitches.
Not computerised, as there’s less to go wrong.

Nannarose Sun 06-Nov-22 15:27:02

Actually, I wouldn't go to JL. I would look for an independent sewing machine shop - there aren't too many left, but try to find the largest you can. They will have different brands, but most importantly, lots of second hand, reconditioned machines. You may well find that one of those suits you better. Also, you will find excellent advice at thesewingplace.org.uk/ and sewists who may well recommend a local shop

vegansrock Sun 06-Nov-22 15:44:34

I agree with Nannarose. I’d avoid John Lewis and go to a good independent sewing machine shop. There’s a good one in Battersea, if you are anywhere near there. That way you’ve got someone to service and repair your machine as well as getting really expert advice. You could get a second hand Bernina for the price of some of the newer made in China plasticky machines.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 06-Nov-22 15:47:02

Notagran I also did the same by going to John Lewis really helpful and bought the same machine as you!

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Nov-22 16:12:36

I wonder if it was the same branch and sales assistant Barmeyoldbat

Are you pleased with it?

Farmor15 Sun 06-Nov-22 17:13:21

Agree with those suggesting going to a sewing machine shop where you can try out different machines. When my Elna broke after over 40 years, I did that. Ended up with a Husquarna, (not computerised) which worked similarly to old Elna. Quite happy with it.

JaneJudge Sun 06-Nov-22 17:21:26

Bernina and Husqvarna both very good makes
avoid anything made in China

JaneJudge Sun 06-Nov-22 17:21:55

if on more of a budget brother are generally reliable and straightforward too

M0nica Sun 06-Nov-22 18:34:32

Go to a big craft show. DD is a skilled needlewoman and decided this year was time to replace the Janome machine she was given 35 years ago.

We went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandra Palace in early October. Every sewing machine manufacturer was there with their full range of machines. She too decided to avoid the highly computerised range and bought another Janome, the top of the normal domestic range.

SusieB50 Sun 06-Nov-22 18:39:10

Thanks all it will probably have to be JL as no independent sewing shops around here. I need it plain and simple certainly not computerised!!!

OnwardandUpward Sun 06-Nov-22 18:39:56

You can't go wrong with a Bernina, maybe a second hand one that's been reconditioned if you're not keen on the computerised ones but want serious quality.

karmalady Sun 06-Nov-22 18:48:56

I had my bernina record 930 from the person below and 200% recommend him. My machine is as good as though it was new, he did an incredible job on it. It was not cheap but a hugely good investment and I am completely delighted. Look at the bernina, sold in aug 2021. That is mine and it has a large variety of feet and accessories, Sews like a dream

www.sewingmachinebox.co.uk/used-machines.aspx

karmalady Mon 07-Nov-22 05:36:37

I got a second hand walking foot for that bernina record, from ebay. I could not do without a walking foot these days, used mine yesterday when sewing very stretchy, loosely knit sweater fabric. I spoke to the sewingbox person by phone and he sent the machine by courier. His reviews were excellent so I took that leap of faith. The machine was far and away better than I expected

karmalady Mon 07-Nov-22 05:39:48

and I put an led light on it, which I would do, or have done with any vintage machine. Bulbs are easily available

vegansrock Mon 07-Nov-22 07:11:16

You might like to look online at
www.sewingmachines.co.uk/
you’ll find new and second hand machines.
They have a showroom which is worth a visit too.

Ali23 Mon 07-Nov-22 07:33:28

I also have a Janome and love it. John lewis own make is also Janome. My janome has a bobbin that sits flat in a compartment… much easier to set up. My friend’s is the next model up and has a needle threading mechanism.

SusieB50 Tue 08-Nov-22 19:56:03

Wow Bernina machines are pretty pricey , don’t think I’m at that stage !
Thank you all for all the advice and hints .

M0nica Tue 08-Nov-22 22:35:47

New sewing machines are pricy but there is a big market in secondhand machines, and several posters have given you leads up thread.

We bought a good modern machine for my DGD. I went on ebay and bought a standard school issue Janome machine, from the company that leases sewing machines to schools and changes them every few years. services them and sells them on. We bought the machine when she was about 10 and was delighted when she went to secondary school to find the same model in use there as she had at home.

silverlining48 Tue 08-Nov-22 23:28:57

Hi Susie. No idea of your budget but I got my sewing machine from Aldi. My old one was just too heavy.
Very pleased with the new one which is basic I suppose as it cost about £45, but it suits me. it’s full size with lots of choice of stitches and a needle threader and best of all it’s nowhere near as heavy as my old very expensive one.

OnwardandUpward Wed 09-Nov-22 00:26:51

SusieB50

Wow Bernina machines are pretty pricey , don’t think I’m at that stage !
Thank you all for all the advice and hints .

@SusieB50 Second hand ones aren't expensive and they are extremely well made. I think the new computerised versions will cost you more than a car, though.

@Karmalady that sounds great!