Gransnet forums

House and home

Hot water dispensers, are they worth it; which one?

(28 Posts)
Stillstanding Fri 04-Nov-22 15:25:38

I saw a woman on TV saying that she has replaced her kettle with a hot water dispenser because she finds herself re boiling the same water over and over again.
I do this a lot as I make cups of coffee but these machines are quite expensive.
So are they worth it and which one does anybody recommend?

Fleurpepper Fri 04-Nov-22 15:33:28

Second question. How are they safe from scalding?

aggie Fri 04-Nov-22 15:35:31

My son had one , sang it’s praises , but when it stopped working he didn’t get it fixed , seems he didn’t miss it

AGAA4 Fri 04-Nov-22 15:35:55

I just boil enough water for whatever I need and so the kettle is emptied every time.

Not sure about water heaters.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 15:45:33

I've known lots of people who've had them, including my mum, but I can't remember a brand, or what happened to them.

I always think about limescale build up, and wonder how easy they'd be to clean.

srn63 Fri 04-Nov-22 16:29:30

I have a boiling water tap, I think it's called an insinkerator, best kitchen appliance I have bought. I've had it for about 6 years now, no problem with limescale as long as you change the filters at the correct intervals. I 've never scalded my self nor have any of my grandchildren because they aren't allowed to use it! Neither would they be allowed to use a kettle so I can't see that it is any more dangerous.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Nov-22 16:33:09

We have had a boiling water tap for over twenty years, replaced our original one a couple of years ago for a Quooker more expensive but very happy.

The safety features are more than adequate to stop any scolds.

MiniMoon Fri 04-Nov-22 16:38:53

I didn't like the one we had. I gave it away. I have a kettle with one, two and three cup markers inside, meaning that I only boil as much water as I need.

dragonfly46 Fri 04-Nov-22 17:54:47

I love my Quooker. It has a filter for cold water too.

Franbern Fri 04-Nov-22 18:07:41

I had these counter tops hot water dispensers for several uears. First one was quie cheap, and when it died I replaced it with a Klarstein one. Loved that. Tank held 4 litres of water, so did not re-filling often. Gave me a choice of temperatures (although TBH, once th noveltyu had passed I tended just to keep setting at the hottest. Also gave me different amounts being automatically dispenses.

I would turn it off at the plug when I went to bed, and back on in the morning. Had - immediately, - water for my tea. WOuldplace mug or small tea pot on the drip trau push button and then go away to make my porridge whilst it was happening. By taking away the drip tray I could easily put a saucepan underneath the dispensing spout. Had a filter so no prponlem in my very hard water area. Quite slow in displensing, so never any worries about scalding.

When I had my kitchen re-fitted ealier this year, I decided to go for a hot water tap - and this is brilliant. With that it is all so simple anything from a mug to a large saucepan, to a hot water bottle, etc. etc. Only works when I am actually pressing down on than button, - so no worries about scalds, etc. So I now have exactly the amount of boiling hot water I need at the push of a buttong, no re=filling anything, no measuring and no waiting. No kettle to worry bout ropping or spilling - so easy and very safe to use.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 04-Nov-22 18:13:08

We had the Proboil one which we fitted in the new kitchen 3 years ago but after the second one broke and their costumer service awful we haven’t replaced it. You do have to be careful but you can’t turn it on accidentally. Ours used to spit occasionally. We’ve used a kettle for a couple of months and that was fine but are getting a Quettle one fitted on Monday so we’ll see what that one is like. Watch this space…

Chestnut Fri 04-Nov-22 18:18:34

Boiling up water uses a huge amount of electricity, so how can it be cost-effective to keep the water hot all the time? Maybe someone with a smart meter might know the answer.

Also, I think I'd prefer fresh water to make my tea, not water that's been kept on the boil for hours.

FlexibleFriend Fri 04-Nov-22 19:18:30

I thought she had a Breville one cup or similar, it's more economical because you fill it with water but it only boils what you need. So the water is only boiled once and isn't kept on the boil. I've got one but rarely use it as I don't really drink hot drinks such as tea and coffee etc. I've never been scalded but it does splutter at times when it needs descaling.

Franbern Sat 05-Nov-22 09:37:58

People do not understand these hot watr machines. Similar to the way the boiler actually heats water as it is used (does not store that hot water in a tank), so they are more economical to run than a kettle.

Chestnut Sat 05-Nov-22 09:42:34

What is the difference in energy consumption between boiling water in a kettle for a cup of tea or boiling the same amount of water in a water dispenser? I don't understand how it uses less energy.

Oldwoman70 Sat 05-Nov-22 09:48:52

I have a Breville One Cup and wouldn't be without it!

Franbern Sat 05-Nov-22 11:38:29

chestnut In kettles you have to ensure there is enough water to cover the element - which is usually more than one mug full.

Inanycase, the actual convenience of these hot water dispensers, no having to pick up kettle to put under tap, put kettle back, turn on, wait for it to turn off. With these just place, cup, mug, teapot, saucepan under dispenser and press button.

So a lot safer to use, no chance of spilling this water during the lifting (as with a kettle).

So in the past there were containers put onto The Range to have hot water, then we had kettles (whistling sometimes), to put on gas hob part of our cookers, then came the electrtic kettle - wonderful - and even better when they eventually became cordless. No we are moving onto these dispensers and eventually the boiling water tap; It is called progress.

karmalady Sat 05-Nov-22 13:08:34

it is very much cheaper to boil a very full kettle, the thermal mass of the kettle needs to also heat up to 100 degrees C. Then decant into a couple of good thermos flasks. Cheaper this way and modern thermos are excellent retainers of heat. It is a waste of resources to keep on boiling water. I would never have a boiling water tap, what a waste of money

grannysyb Sat 05-Nov-22 13:11:56

I have a gas cooker, apparently it us cheaper fir me to boil water on the hob rather than using an electric kettle. Going to go and buy a whistling kettle now!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Nov-22 13:14:53

karmalady

it is very much cheaper to boil a very full kettle, the thermal mass of the kettle needs to also heat up to 100 degrees C. Then decant into a couple of good thermos flasks. Cheaper this way and modern thermos are excellent retainers of heat. It is a waste of resources to keep on boiling water. I would never have a boiling water tap, what a waste of money

That’s where we differ, I would never go back to having a kettle.

Chestnut Sat 05-Nov-22 13:35:22

I would like someone with a smart meter to compare a kettle with a water dispenser and how much electricity they use. Make perhaps three cups of tea and see the difference. That would be interesting.

HurdyGurdy Sat 05-Nov-22 13:43:24

We have had the Breville BRITA hot water dispenser with integrated water filter for about eight weeks now, and I really like it.

I ordered it as when my arthritis flares up, I really struggle to lift a kettle (no matter how full if it) so I found this to be much safer for me.

I was a devil for putting the kettle on to boil, then going off and forgetting it and having to re-boil it. This way the water is dispensed straight into the cup, and I find it's much quicker than boiling our (old) kettle. You only boil as much as you need, by setting the gauge on the top according to what size cup you are using, so only have to fill the tank when it runs out.

I don't think I'd go back to a normal kettle again.

If we ever get our kitchen re-fitted, I would love to have one of those instant boiling/cold/sparkling water things installed - something like a Quooker?

Margiknot Sat 05-Nov-22 13:52:01

We used to have a very basic table top water heater- intended for making instant hot drinks or coffee with an additional mug top coffee filter. We bought it so that our learning disabled son could make a warm drink for himself without scalding himself. You tipped in a mug of cold water in the top, pressed go and it heated it up to a nice warm temperature- but crucially not boiling- and had a button to dispense the heated water into the mug (placed under the dispenser) once the light indicated it was hot. Simple. But not hot enough for tea. No walking to the tap (except with an empty mug), no tipping or pouring. The disadvantage was it was a bit slow, only had limited capacity and did not survive our sons attempt to make a smoothy in it!?! It was made by Tshibo I think and was good for its purpose- producing a mug (1 or 2 cups) of hot but not boiling water, and reducing the risk of scalds for someone for whom use of a kettle would have been unsafe.

Franbern Sat 05-Nov-22 17:19:43

GrannyGravy13 - totally agree with you. Been a long time since i used a kettel regularly. Mine is stored in a top shelf. Love my hot water tap.

I can just imagine how many times I would have scalded myself with doing what Karmalady suggests. The hot water taps are so VERY safe to use as well as convenient.

I am able to have a smart meter. However, since I had this installed have not notice any discernable difference in my leccie usage. TBH, even if someone proved to me that it was actually costing me a couple of pence more each day - I will stay with it as the safety(as well as convenience) element with this is so important.

Franbern Sat 05-Nov-22 17:21:01

SHould have read NOT ABLE to have a smart meter.